Palm WebOs - Openttd

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

SebastianHa
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Palm WebOs - Openttd

Post by SebastianHa »

one last question before I submit: Am I allowed to use the name openTTD for the app?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

you can use the name "OpenTTD", but you cannot use the version (like "1.1.0") if you made any modifications.
SebastianHa
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SebastianHa »

So, here it is: https://developer.palm.com/appredirect/ ... co.openttd

I hope I did everything right, if not please let me know.
WildParadise
Engineer
Engineer

Post by WildParadise »

Hi, I get no network when trying to add an AI, is that a knowed issue?
sparky2002b
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sparky2002b »

I would love to see someone pick this up and add sound and network.
miricats
Engineer
Engineer

Post by miricats »

Hi there!

My touchpad is my primary computer right now, and I'm loving this game. I have a Bluetooth keyboard so the game is really easy to play.

However, I'd love to have sound and, much more importantly, internet access, as I'd really love to be able to play against a computer player.

Is there something I could do in the console to connect the software to the networking hardware, or would this require a recompile? If I can set settings, I'm fine with that, but my programming skills are 15 years out of date and were never really good in the first place. I'd love to have this fully functional, as it's a great game, but gets a bit easy without a competitor or three.

Alternately, could it be recompiled and rereleased with a couple basic AI built in? Or is there a way for me to download the AI engines separately and then use the console to integrate them into the game?

I would appreciate the help!! Thank you!
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Do you have a sound/music set installed? Check the Game Options to see if you have. If not, you may need to download OpenSFX and OpenMSX first. If you have those enabled and still no sound, then the game probably has been compiled without sound support, something that only can be fixed by recompiling.

Just download these base sets from the browser and unpack them to the correct directory on your device.
For AIs and NewGRFs it's easiest to get the same game version on a computer with internet access, download what you need there and then transfer the downloaded content directory to your device.

As for networking on your device: it may be a setting somewhere, or the game may have been compiled without networking support.
Arie-
Director
Director

Post by Arie- »

I think his point is that there's not Sound and Network support in the WebOs builds, atleast that's what I understand from the post above him.
miricats
Engineer
Engineer

Post by miricats »

I don't know if there's sound support installed.

I know the software doesn't recognize the networking hardware in the touchpad, so there is most likely no networking support.

When the game is originally downloaded on any other platform, are the basic game sounds included, or would they have to be downloaded separately? If they're usually included, then openTTD doesn't recognize the sound hardware on the touchpad. If not, then I don't know whether it will work or not.

I will attempt the transferring data from a desktop option that you mentioned; however, for seamlessness (especially for those who don't know how to go about doing that file transfer thing), it would be great if networking could be turned on for the next version. I don't expect this immediately, but it would be a good goal for the next webOS release (and there really ought to be one; though the OS is currently out of development itself, there are many, many devices out there and people will not get rid of them just because of the non-upgrading OS issue).

Thank you again!
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I suspect you'll probably need to compile a version specifically for the TouchPad.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

miricats wrote:When the game is originally downloaded on any other platform, are the basic game sounds included, or would they have to be downloaded separately?
The game comes with nothing. You need to download graphics, sound and music separately.

It should be relatively easy to check if you have the files or not. Just go into the Game Options window and see what options you have for the base graphics/sound/music sets.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

The new version 1.2.0(-beta) will try to download the data at the first start, if it's not detected. also, the windows installer can download the data before starting.
Chevarez
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Chevarez »

FooBar wrote:
Just download these base sets from the browser and unpack them to the correct directory on your device.
For AIs and NewGRFs it's easiest to get the same game version on a computer with internet access, download what you need there and then transfer the downloaded content directory to your device.
I connected my TouchPad to my computer via USB and looked for anything like the download content directory in the shown file system of my TouchPad to transfer the OpenGFX_BigGUI-2.0.0.tar file to it. Haven't found it. Any hints on how to transfer it and where the folder is located exactly on the TouchPad?

Does anybody know whether OpenTTD is going to be updated on WebOS devices?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Chevarez
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Chevarez »

Since no one here seems to know the answer to my question or no one seems to care enough for OpenTTD on WebOS Touchpad I answer my question regarding enabling newgrf for the Touchpad port of OpenTTD myself. Hopefully it serves others well. Especially the BigGUI newgrf gives the game a much better usability on the Tablet so it's definitely worth importing at least this newgrf to the Touchpad.

The usual disclaimer: Be aware of that there is no guarantee whatsoever, that following this instruction might do the trick for you. Be also aware of that following this instruction is at your own risk. Furthermore you'll need to have InternalzPro from PreWare installed on your Touchpad to be able to copy the newgrf files to the "hidden" app folders of WebOS. So if you're not into Homebrew at least a little, then this instruction will not work for you.

To enable newgrf on the Touchpad you just have to create two new folders on the Touchpad and copy all the desired newgrf *.tar files to this new directory. Fairly easy task, isn't it. So, to cut the long story short, just browse to the Touchpad directory /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/de.omoco.openttd/.openttd/, created a new folder named data, create another new folder named newgrf in the data folder and copy all the newgrf files to that newly created directory path. This should result in a path like this /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/de.omoco.openttd/.openttd/data/newgrf/xyz.tar for each given newgrf you have imported to the Touchpad.

If you like it explained step by step, here you go:
  1. Connect your Touchpad with your computer and put it into USB mode.
  2. If you are working on a Windows 7 computer, go to G:\Eigene Dateien\Documents\OpenTTD\content_download\newgrf.
  3. Select all the newgrf files you want to transfer to your Touchpad, right click on them and choose Copy from the context menu.
  4. Browse to your Touchpad folder structure and create a directory named data.
  5. Open this newly created directory and create another directory called newgrf in it.
  6. Open the newly created directory called newgrf, perform a right click in there and choose Paste to copy the newgrf files into it.
  7. Remove the Touchpad from the PC by performing a safe remove via the task tray symbol.
  8. Launch InternalzPro on your Touchpad.
  9. Browse to /media/internal and perform a long tap on the folder called data which you created shortly before.
  10. Choose Move from the context menu.
  11. Browse to /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/de.omoco.openttd/.openttd/.
  12. Confirm moving the data folder to this directory by clicking on OK or however it is called in your localization of InternalzPro.
  13. You now should have a directory called /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/de.omoco.openttd/.openttd/data/newgrf/ with all of the copied *.tar files in it.
  14. Close InternalzPro and launch OpenTTD. Depending on how many newgrf files you imported, launch of OpenTTD takes considerably longer than in its vanilla version.
  15. Click on NewGRF Settings and there on each newgrf you'd like to play with and click Add to activate the newgrf.
  16. Set the parameters of each newgrf by clicking on Set parameters. I recommend setting OpenGFX BigGUI GUI size to at least 1.5x.
  17. Click Apply changes and you're good to go.
Adding AI to the Touchpad should work in exactly the same way as described above. Only difference is, that you need to utilize another folder structure than above. But all happens in the data folder, too. The different folder names are ai containing another folder named library. I suggest installing any preferred AI to your PC version of the game, then browse to the directory \Documents\OpenTTD\content_download\ on your Computer. Copy the folder ai with all its content to the data folder on the Touchpad and you should be all set. No guarantee on that because I never tried that by myself since ai seems to be quite buggy, yet.
Last edited by Chevarez on 03 Sep 2012 00:45, edited 1 time in total.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Congratulations! Any screenshots of your hard work for others to see?
Chevarez
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Chevarez »

kamnet wrote:Congratulations! Any screenshots of your hard work for others to see?
?(

Don't know what you'd like to see exactly, since there are quite a lot of newgrf to show. I try to please "the others" with those three random screenshots.

Feel free to provide us with your own ones when you feel the necessity to do so.

Path in Internalz Pro where the newgrf *.tar-files need to be copied to.

NewGRF Settings dialog where one can activate and configurate the newgrf addons.

OpenGFX BigGUI addon in action with GUI size at 2x (finger friendly menu bar). 8)

"Thanks" would have been the appropriate reaction for my hard work, by the way! :wink:
Especially since I had to wait months for no response at all, figured it out all by myself and took the time to write it down here to help "the others".
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Would have been nicer if you had uploaded the images here, but overall nice effort, thank you!! Now to just find me a cheap WebOS tablet! :D

Return to “OpenTTD Development”