FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development & Translatio

Post by ChillCore »

SketchyGalore wrote: too new to all this to know what a ticket is :oops:
A ticket is a bugreport/suggestion here: http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/firs/issues (for FIRS)

Hey, andythenorth.
I have a few little issues also that I would like some feedback on before creating a ticket.

-1st:
Does FIRS change townbuildings acceptance of goods?
I have added a towngrowth patch to my patchpack but when playing with FIRS goods are not accepted by the townbuildings anymore.
My station guis say that goods are accepted but they are not as they are not delivered and counted. While testing I made sure no industries were nearby so I am sure it is not an indutry taking all of them. Without FIRS it works as expected.
I have not yet tested this issue with clean trunk.

- 2nd:
Does FIRS do something in regards of naming stations?
While setting up a testgame to test the first issue in this post I noticed that one of my station-trainlists did not display some trains that I ordered to go there. After looking for what happened I noticed that multple stations were having the same name and my train was on the way to the wrong station. See attachment.

Screenshot taken with clean OpenTTD r22279 and FIRS 0.6.4 as found on bananas.
To reproduce create a random savegame with only one town (multiple towns will work as well but with only one it easier to reproduce) and put a station tile near each industry. Then, see station list.
Can you please revert/undo this "feature" or make it so that station names are never duplicates.
When I click a station while giving orders I expect my train to have the clicked station as destination and not some random other that might have the same name ... Double checking the orders given by Ctrl-clicking each one of them to see if they corespond to the correct station is not what I consider fun. :(

Other than the two issues above still enjoying FIRS. ;)
Attachments
New Windington Transport, 23rd May 2050.png
New Windington Transport, 23rd May 2050.png (7.03 KiB) Viewed 4279 times
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

ChillCore wrote: I have a few little issues also that I would like some feedback on before creating a ticket.
May I...?
Does FIRS change townbuildings acceptance of goods?
Afaik not. It has been discussed to change or provide some houses, but eventually it was rejected on the grounds that houses cannot be placed by players as opposed to industries.

To reproduce create a random savegame with only one town (multiple towns will work as well but with only one it easier to reproduce) and put a station tile near each industry. Then, see station list.
Can you please revert/undo this "feature" or make it so that station names are never duplicates.
Yes, FIRS defines custom possible station names; thus you must not use it in conjunction with other newgrf which do so, too. It has been explicitly made incompatible with a few known newgrfs which also define station names - but maybe there are others; did you use additional grfs?
FIRS alone should not lead to duplicate station names and that is a bug *somewhere*.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

May I...?
You may...! :)
planetmaker wrote:
ChillCore wrote: Does FIRS change townbuildings acceptance of goods?
Afaik not. It has been discussed to change or provide some houses, but eventually it was rejected on the grounds that houses cannot be placed by players as opposed to industries.
It does 'something' in regards of the acceptance of goods and townbuildings (in my patchpack).
Will try to reproduce the issue in clean trunk ...

Yes, FIRS defines custom possible station names; thus you must not use it in conjunction with other newgrf which do so, too. It has been explicitly made incompatible with a few known newgrfs which also define station names - but maybe there are others; did you use additional grfs?
FIRS alone should not lead to duplicate station names and that is a bug *somewhere*.
I tested with only FIRS enabled and in clean trunk.
r16-something, r1903 and 0.6.4 all behave the same.
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

SketchyGalore wrote:I don't really like having an industry as numerous as that (my 512x512 map in 1885 generated about 57 depots) with no use
You found a bug ;) Both recycling industries should appear after 1997 only.
I almost always end up losing money on fishing lines simply because there isn't enough to transport.
That's interesting. Fish cargo should be a money maker. In my latest test game (high costs for everything), it was the only way I could make serious money in 1850. I won't add supply behaviour because I want one simple primary chain that doesn't need any deliveries ;)
What ship set are you using?
Also on the subject of ESUP... and FSUP... and MSUP.
If there are any changes to supplies (maybe not), the most likely is roughly what you suggest: higher production needs more supplies. It's possible, but I'm not sure yet if I want to add it. It makes text and things more complicated.
I'm making $100,000,000 a year, a sawmill will cost $4,000,000,000!
That sounds a lot! Sawmill is $9,093,750 in my game. Do you have inflation turned on in your game? That can cause insane costs in long games.
ChillCore wrote:Does FIRS change townbuildings acceptance of goods?
Not as far as I know. Possibly the town set makes an assumption about what the cargo byte (ID) of Goods is, but we tried to keep those the same as default game (as much as possible) in FIRS. Sounds odd.
Yes, it has done this since very early releases. I get multiple stations with similar names sometimes, I'm not sure why. A parameter has been requested to disable station naming, but I am very against adding more parameters. Maybe it just needs improving / bug fixing.
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

andythenorth wrote:
Yes, it has done this since very early releases. I get multiple stations with similar names sometimes, I'm not sure why. A parameter has been requested to disable station naming, but I am very against adding more parameters. Maybe it just needs improving / bug fixing.
OpenTTD makes sure only 1 station gets an industry-type specific name per town. So if the station name for a coal mine is "\80 Mines" (where \80 is replaced by the name of the town) there won't be two stations named that way because they're close to a coal mine in the same town. However it doesn't globally check the station name for uniqueness, so if the station name for the iron ore mine is also "\80 Mines" you can end up with two stations named the same way. One was named that way because it was close to the coal mine and one because it was close to the iron ore mine.
I've verified that FIRS contains a few cases of such duplicate names. Whether this is a bug in FIRS for providing the duplicate names or in OpenTTD for not filtering out those names correctly is open for debate.
Simons Mith
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Simons Mith »

Can the game be tweaked to offer further alternative names? I was going to propose '... Spur' as another generic station name anyway, and '... Mines' could also be '... Mine', '... Pits', '... Pit', or '... Colliery'. Various of the factories and refineries could also be '... Plant', or '... Chemicals', '... Sugar' and so on. Aluminium plants and steel mills could also call themselves '... Forge', '... Forges', '... Foundry', '... Mill', '... Mills', '... Smelting', '... Smelter' and so on. There are probably others as well. As long as you can reduce the odds of a name clash, I don't think it needs to be eliminated entirely.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I would really like to play this set more but could we have a parameter to remove the need for supplies and only need very good service or better for increase, but medicore or better service to reduce the chance of a industry closure?
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Radmir
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Radmir »

Polish translation compatible with r1903.
Attachments
30_polish.txt
(18.92 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
SketchyGalore
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SketchyGalore »

andythenorth wrote: You found a bug ;) Both recycling industries should appear after 1997 only.
That'd explain that! I like the idea of another population-fed production, though. But I also think that kind of industry would do better earlier in a game, so you know which towns to nurture. Looking to the future, perhaps there would be more to the waste management tree? Something like... Dump=Garbage>Landfill as a simple low-speed low-income early on, or perhaps something involving composting to help with farm supply. Just a thought! Start small :)
I almost always end up losing money on fishing lines simply because there isn't enough to transport.
That's interesting. Fish cargo should be a money maker. In my latest test game (high costs for everything), it was the only way I could make serious money in 1850. I won't add supply behaviour because I want one simple primary chain that doesn't need any deliveries ;)
What ship set are you using?
Actually, I'm using FISH! I usually use Rockall freighters since they seem to have the best running cost to cargo ratio, but since they carry 85t and the highest production fishing spot I've ever seen is 45t/mo (factoring in that it's kind of hard to increase station quality ratings with ships because of speed, particularly if they're more than three years old), they spend most of their time waiting at the fishing site, resulting in a loss of profit. The mega-loss I usually end up experiencing is trying to make a fast food line from the harbor using something like a train. Even with MSUP and two or three fishing sites, the output just isn't high enough to warrant anything more than a short road delivery service, particularly in the 1800's. And that results in something like... maybe $500 a month? Not exactly the serious money you're describing! I'm anxious to hear tips, though, if there's a secret to it! And I can understand having at least one "simple" primary industry.. In that case, I don't suppose there could be greater fluctuation in it? Fishing seasons and whatnot?
Also on the subject of ESUP... and FSUP... and MSUP.
If there are any changes to supplies (maybe not), the most likely is roughly what you suggest: higher production needs more supplies. It's possible, but I'm not sure yet if I want to add it. It makes text and things more complicated.
Which is why I do better with this than, say, ECS :) Definitely, keep things simple. But I don't think the current "X engineer supplies delivered this month" is any clearer than, say "X of Y engineer supplies delivered this month to cause industry growth". Right now, without reading readmes and guides, the in-game text and such probably makes things MORE complicated, as the "supplies delivered" message seems to suggest that more is better (which, of course, isn't true). Perhaps a simplified version of the idea I mentioned would be to simply change that "1 ESUP required for a chance at growth" to a steadily escalating number. That way, if someone made a network that consistently delivered 100t ESUP to a coal mine, that mine would grow up to that mark, then it would be capped off until the infrastructure grew. That would avoid making accidental "super mines" like the current system often causes after being set up (I think I had one producing 7000t coal per month... No one needs that much coal :lol: ) In other words, I'm all for simplicity, but this is definitely an area that I'd vote for more intuitive depth!
I'm making $100,000,000 a year, a sawmill will cost $4,000,000,000!
That sounds a lot! Sawmill is $9,093,750 in my game. Do you have inflation turned on in your game? That can cause insane costs in long games.
Bleh, should have thought of that one! I'll try it without inflation. I suppose inflation is a steady multiplier, so astronomical costs would just get... more astronomical! I checked in with the costs repeatedly through my game and they always seemed just out of reasonable reach. I did check a new game and it looks like the highest costs are around $25,000,000. I'm not sure yet how possible it will be to fetch that without inflation, but I'll soon find out!

Oh, and one last thing... Just something I was wondering about. What exactly is the point of a "blackhole" final industry like the store or the restaurant? They accept food and goods and such, but don't you get the same profit from delivering to any ol' town, or is there a bonus?

Thanks for taking the time to answer! I know I'm long-winded :D
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

but don't you get the same profit from delivering to any ol' town
It is failsafe for town sets without food/goods acceptance.
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

NekoMaster wrote:could we have a parameter to remove the need for supplies and only need very good service or better for increase, but medicore or better service to reduce the chance of a industry closure?
No. But there may be one (stripped-down) economy which uses the default industry production behaviour. The industry chains would need rebalancing, this is not small work.
SketchyGalore wrote:Actually, I'm using FISH! I usually use Rockall freighters
fishing_chain.png
fishing_chain.png (152.11 KiB) Viewed 4164 times
I don't think the current "X engineer supplies delivered this month" is any clearer than, say "X of Y engineer supplies delivered this month to cause industry growth".
The issue is primarily that the code is more complicated. It's certainly possible.
Oh, and one last thing... Just something I was wondering about. What exactly is the point of a "blackhole" final industry like the store or the restaurant?
1. They allow building predictable routes for delivery. On balance, towns that change acceptance due to changing buildings were more boring than stable acceptance.
2. They allow delivery of cargos to town not supported by houses / house newgrfs.
Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

Simons Mith wrote:Can the game be tweaked to offer further alternative names? I was going to propose '... Spur' as another generic station name anyway, and '... Mines' could also be '... Mine', '... Pits', '... Pit', or '... Colliery'. Various of the factories and refineries could also be '... Plant', or '... Chemicals', '... Sugar' and so on. Aluminium plants and steel mills could also call themselves '... Forge', '... Forges', '... Foundry', '... Mill', '... Mills', '... Smelting', '... Smelter' and so on. There are probably others as well. As long as you can reduce the odds of a name clash, I don't think it needs to be eliminated entirely.
I rather like that idea - having said that I tend to rename stations after their use, so London Goods In, London Farm Supplies and London Eng Supplies. Saves me getting confused which is which
First ZERO
Engineer
Engineer

Post by First ZERO »

one suggestion

Salt evaporation pond / salt refinery would be a nice addition.

-traditional or more industrial style
-salt cargo would complete fish chain by delivering salt to the fishery/harbour
-about graphics : some sand pit similar or better farmfields style (japanese set fields cycling with and without water)
-maybe with some windwill(s) (love yours in last version)
http://www.bbdellepalme.com/trapani_saline_2.jpg

-floodgate
http://www.geo.fr/var/geo/storage/image ... 20x465.jpg

what do you think about it ?

edit : links are shorter now !
Last edited by First ZERO on 02 Apr 2011 22:00, edited 2 times in total.
Bleedin' 4 haRdeRstYleZ
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

First ZERO wrote: what do you think about it ?
long url is long.
First ZERO
Engineer
Engineer

Post by First ZERO »

Eddi wrote:
long url is long.
oh sorry about that... anyway to reduce it ?
Bleedin' 4 haRdeRstYleZ
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
First ZERO wrote:
Eddi wrote:
long url is long.
oh sorry about that... anyway to reduce it ?
Link direct to the original source and not to the result of the google image search.

Tschö, Auge
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

also, you can hide the full url by writing
[url=long url here] short text here[/url]
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I like the idea of salt, salt can be used for many things, including sending it to stores or depots where it can be sold as ice salt or table salt.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
kvwrd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kvwrd »

andythenorth wrote:
etran wrote:New update. Translated missing 'crates' suffix.
Will be in next FIRS release, thanks.

We welcome translations to other languages. As of March 2011 we have partial or full translations for:
  • Croatian
  • Polish
  • Czech
  • Dutch
  • Russian
  • Spanish
  • French
  • Serbian
  • German
The list here updates to show latest state of FIRS translation.
http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/firs/nig ... ATEST/log/

To get started with your language, simply download the full English language file and post a translated version back here:
http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/fir ... F_any.pnfo
Russian translation file. Can't attach pnfo file, so renamed it to txt.
Attachments
7F_any_RU_2011-04-03.pnfo.txt
Small fix! 2011-04-03 russian translation
(23.98 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

And here's the Italian text...
Attachments
7F_it.pnfo.txt