Chill's patchpack v14_7

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Chill's patchpack v12

Post by ChillCore »

Eddi wrote: it is generally not a good idea to divide industry production by daylength factor, as that makes you get less output for the same input.
Got it, no touching the production values. :) Thank you for the hint.

Fenris wrote:is there a problem with FIRS and the new towngrowth-patch? I've started a new game with v12 (the binary posted on page 64 of this thread) and the delievered goods wasn't count in the town-window.
Thank you for the bugreport.

In my longlasting game with FIRS r1358 and a testgame with r1903 it is the same, towns do not accept goods neither.
I suspect it has to do with FIRS itself as it seems to do more than only define industries ...
¿Maybe it redefines GOODS somewhere? I am not familiar with the internal kitchen of the GRF.

I found another FIRS issue (station names) that I could reproduce in clean trunk ... will post in the FIRS thread.

I still have not yet tested all goods that FIRS produces (by the various industries) ... maybe one of them produces something that is accepted although goods should be goods ...

I will also test the towngrowth patch with the other industry sets in a bit ... has anyone already?

romazoon wrote: Also i have a small question/problem about town growth: my city just doesn t grow at all since now 10 years of gameplay, but i always had around 102% town growth, and now it s at 600% but still doesn t build anything. I m not even using the towngrowth patch (it s "off").
I noticed that when the towngrowth patch is off the growth rate percentage seems to be way off ... I think I wil hide it when the patch is disabled, but still I'd like to know how come the numbers are weird like that (I had a town at 1600% with the patch off).
Thank you for reporting.
i m anyway wrong about the city not growing... it s just very very slow with one station ! i opened the scenario(as it was when i started game) and there "Kali city" had like 90 less inhabitants... so it indeed grew.
Yeah, towngrowth interval is multiplied by daylenght factor as they were growing way too fast with higher daylenght settings.

supermop wrote:
Eddi wrote: is it known that this patch pack creates WAAAAY too many trees? i tried to generate a 1024x1024 map and tree generation takes incredibly long, and almost the whole map is covered with trees.
Also had this problem.
Known problem with the moreheightlevels patch ... problem is that I do not yet know the exact settings/conditions that cause it as sometimes it happens and sometimes it does not ...
One condition to trigger it seems to be the improved tree algorithm as with the original it does not seem to happen (tested briefly).

Thank you for reminding me, I slightly forgot about the issue, will update first post.
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

There are a few problems with the timetable/clock patch:

1) in unpatched OTTD, when clicking on start date, it shows the current start date, when clicking ctrl+start date, it sets the current date as suggestion in the window [at least i remember it once working like this, haven't checked.] in the patch pack it shows the current time in both cases, so there is no way to view the actual start time.

2) when using "no unload and no load" option, the trains do not show up in the timetable, not even when selecting "via". [the difference between "go via" and "go to, no loading and no unloading" is basically, that you can schedule a wait time]

3) the time column in the train's timetable window is too narrow. the same fix that i mentioned for the station's timetable window should apply there, too (using "0" instead of "INT_MAX" to estimate the width), but i haven't checked the code yet.

oh, and something unrelated but really annoying: the measurement tool should NOT use the "R" key. "R" is already "remove"...
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

1) Will have to check the difference between trunk and the patchpack in that area to see what has to be changed there to make it work as you expect.

2) Advanced settings -> Interface -> Departure boards -> "Show al stations called at regardless of loading/unloading orders" set to on should solve your issue ... I think/hope ...

3) Mine seems wide enough for the strings to fit in, although it would be nice to have a little bit of space after the time, maybe there could be added a spacer ... can I see a screenshot please of yours to see the problem? Will check the code in a bit to see how the width is defined.

oh) As mentioned in the third post. :) First person to shout a key (or combination) that is not taken in hotkeys.cfg wins. ;)

Thank you for the feedback.
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

ChillCore wrote: oh) As mentioned in the third post. :) First person to shout a key (or combination) that is not taken in hotkeys.cfg wins. ;)
what i'm saying is rather: don't set a default key at all, just let people add one manually.

one could use the "M" key [currently opens the map, but that can be done with one of the F-keys as well]
ChillCore wrote:2) Advanced settings -> Interface -> Departure boards -> "Show al stations called at regardless of loading/unloading orders" set to on should solve your issue ... I think/hope ...
yeah, that worked. thanks.
ChillCore wrote: 3) Mine seems wide enough for the strings to fit in, although it would be nice to have a little bit of space after the time, maybe there could be added a spacer ... can I see a screenshot please of yours to see the problem? Will check the code in a bit to see how the width is defined.
it depends on the font used. especially the width of the "1" compared to the other numbers. i'm using the original sprite font, and lots of times are abbreviated with ".." instead of shown in full. i heard it's less severe with the OpenGFX font.

Here's an attachment that visualizes the problem:
Werrakirchen Transport, 8. Sep 1924#1.png
(224.47 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
It also shows another problem:
You see there a timetable for a waypoint [left, outer tracks], and one for a station [right, inner track]. the waypoint shows a wrong final destination for the train, while the station shows it correctly.

The schedule works as follows (number = station, letter = waypoint):
Passenger train: 1 - A - B - C - 3 [and backwards]
Freight train: 1' - A - 2 - C' - 3' [and backwards]
shown here is timetable for B and for 2.
final destination for freight train should be 3' on the southbound route, and 1' on the northbound route [shown correctly]
final destination for passenger train should be 3 on the southbound route, and 1 on the northbound route, but these are switched around.

and one small last issue: when showing the time and date in the status bar, it should display the day as well, not only month/year.
maselbe
Engineer
Engineer

Post by maselbe »

I'm actually having the same problem with the departure boards and 24h patch as Eddi.
It looks like the tables widths aren't aligned correctly.
I've attached a screenshot to illustrate the problem(s).
Attachments
Purmelgast Transport, 20 Mei 2015.png
Incorrect outline of the departureboards / Order window
(218.49 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Dwight_K._Schrute
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Dwight_K._Schrute »

So you are using the original graphics, right? Switch to OpenGFX and this won't happen anymore. I think it should work with the original grpahics as well, so maybe this is something for the Departure Board Thread.
hthhs
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hthhs »

Eddi wrote:
3) the time column in the train's timetable window is too narrow. the same fix that i mentioned for the station's timetable window should apply there, too (using "0" instead of "INT_MAX" to estimate the width), but i haven't checked the code yet.
Oops. Fix for patchpack v12 attached. Will take a look at the other problems over the weekend.
Attachments
timetable_time_width.diff
(746 Bytes) Downloaded 68 times
Last edited by hthhs on 01 Apr 2011 11:06, edited 1 time in total.
Dwight_K._Schrute
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Dwight_K._Schrute »

hthhs wrote: P.S. please post problems to do with departure boards and/or the 24h clock in the thread for that patch first and let me investigate before posting them here (or in any patchpack thread, for that matter.) I'll take a look at the other problems people are having this weekend.
ChillCore wrote:The place to report bugs is here and nowhere else, I will then try to figure out what patch may be the cause and report where needed.

If bugreports concerning this patchpak do appear outside this thread, I may ask not to provide binaries anymore and to have the binaries that are already provided removed. I do not want that to happen and neither do you.
So what to do?? :D
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

hthhs wrote:P.S. please post problems to do with departure boards and/or the 24h clock in the thread for that patch first
hm... ok, but that's against ChillCore's request to do the exact opposite.
hthhs
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hthhs »

You're both right, and I'm a fool for posting when tired and misremembering Chill's instructions. Sorry! :oops: :( /edits post
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Thank you for the quick fix hthhs.
I tried a bigger font and I could not reproduce the issue with trunctated time.
I will post a new patch after the weekend when hthhs had some time to look at the other issues.
Today is OpenTTD 1.1.0's day. :)

As for the correct place to report bugs ... ofcourse original patch authors may overide my request as they see fit.
My request in the first post is mainly because I have altered many patches and some bugs do not happen when a patch is applied alone or in clean trunk ... some people are annoyed by bugreports they can not reproduce with their original code, some are not ...
In all cases reporting on FS is and remains a nono unless an issue can be reproduced in clean trunk.

Please note that you may get bugreports as in attachment, hthhs.
This does not happen in your patch applied alone but only in combination with higher daylength settings.
If after having seen the attachment you still want to receive the bugreports from people playing with my patchpack before they post here ... so be it. ;)
Can you please repeat the request you have made before just so we/I know that is really what you want and I do not correct people when they post in your thread.

Edit:
Eddi wrote:
ChillCore wrote: oh) As mentioned in the third post. :) First person to shout a key (or combination) that is not taken in hotkeys.cfg wins. ;)
what i'm saying is rather: don't set a default key at all, just let people add one manually.

one could use the "M" key [currently opens the map, but that can be done with one of the F-keys as well]
I can choose to not define a default key? Did not know that.

Using the M key is moving the problem from one double used key to the other ... I'd rather fix it properly. :)
Attachments
Farfingford Transport, 2191-01-04.png
Farfingford Transport, 2191-01-04.png (14.93 KiB) Viewed 2183 times

AppeL
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AppeL »

just wanted to say that i also experience that goods are not accepted with FIRS and towngrowth...
if someone changes FIRS so that it works, maybe they can merge "goods" and "food" (maybe even building materials?) into one single group, so that all the produced "food" goods from farms actually have a meaning and can be used for towngrowth.

maybe i try to do it, but i don't know anything about changing GRFs at this moment, so i will have to get into that ;)
hthhs
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hthhs »

ChillCore wrote: Please note that you may get bugreports as in attachment, hthhs.
This does not happen in your patch applied alone but only in combination with higher daylength settings.
If after having seen the attachment you still want to receive the bugreports from people playing with my patchpack before they post here ... so be it. ;)
Can you please repeat the request you have made before just so we/I know that is really what you want and I do not correct people when they post in your thread.
That screenshot you attached is... bizarre.

Having thought about it, having the reports come to this thread and me periodically check for them makes sense, so that's what should be done. Like I said, I'd misremembered the dire warning you placed at the start of the thread about where bug reports should be posted.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

AppeL wrote: just wanted to say that i also experience that goods are not accepted with FIRS and towngrowth...
if someone changes FIRS so that it works, maybe they can merge "goods" and "food" (maybe even building materials?) into one single group, so that all the produced "food" goods from farms actually have a meaning and can be used for towngrowth.

maybe i try to do it, but i don't know anything about changing GRFs at this moment, so i will have to get into that ;)
Somehow I do not like the idea of goods and food being merged as one cargo type... why not try a game in Arctic, Tropical or Toyland to have food influence towngrowth and give your farms a useful purpose?
Ofcourse it is a shame that with the patchpack FIRS does not (yet) cooperate (*) ... (only tested Temperate untill now). If you insist on trying to merge some stuff ... please do not let the above stop you ... IIRC FIRS is released under the GPL lisence. :)

I have tested "FIRS" <-> "goods acceptance by buildings" with clean trunk briefly, goods seem to be accepted by buildings normally but I need to test more ... read: FIRS in my seperate towngrowth patch.
Going to test the ECS vectors in the patchpack now ...

Also I am going to have a looksie at calculating the transported ratio correctly now that I know how many things each town accepts in regards of towngrowth (without using grfs that is).

(*)
Disclaimer: There is always the possibility of me having made a booboo somewhere and there is nothing wrong with FIRS ...

hthhs wrote: That screenshot you attached is... bizarre.

Having thought about it, having the reports come to this thread and me periodically check for them makes sense, so that's what should be done. Like I said, I'd misremembered the dire warning you placed at the start of the thread about where bug reports should be posted.
It is the result of the time in minutes overflowing somewhere with high daylength settings in later years.
Something that does not happen in your patch alone applied to trunk.

For the patchpack I need to increase a value somewhere ... IIRC there is a comment in your patch about something that might overflow but people would run in other problems before that happening ... I have not yet looked deeper in that part of the code.
Care to explain in more detail if you know what I am refering to?

The warning in the first post is there to prevent the Devs and patchwriters, like you, getting frustrated because of having to deal with issues that they have not caused. eg. previous posted screenshot for an example.

Edit:
Also if, after testing, an issue is present in your patch alone I will direct people to your thread or post about it there myself. ;)

Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

FIRS currently changes Goods to have "Town Effect: Water" (TE_WATER), because otherwise there would be no water cargo to get growth in tropic/desert.

Apparently, that means it can't have TE_GOODS at the same time, so it won't be recognised as goods.
hthhs
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hthhs »

ChillCore wrote: It is the result of the time in minutes overflowing somewhere with high daylength settings in later years.
Something that does not happen in your patch alone applied to trunk.

For the patchpack I need to increase a value somewhere ... IIRC there is a comment in your patch about something that might overflow but people would run in other problems before that happening ... I have not yet looked deeper in that part of the code.
Care to explain in more detail if you know what I am refering to?
My guess is that _date is overflowing and becoming negative. I suspect this would cause the computation of hours and minutes (using the modulus operator) to return negative values. This could also explain the normal date display also breaking and showing incorrect strings, which may be (one of) the other problems I was referring to when I wrote that comment.
Also if, after testing, an issue is present in your patch alone I will direct people to your thread or post about it there myself. ;)
Thank you! :)

EDIT:
How about [Shift+R] ?
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Eddi wrote: FIRS currently changes Goods to have "Town Effect: Water" (TE_WATER), because otherwise there would be no water cargo to get growth in tropic/desert.

Apparently, that means it can't have TE_GOODS at the same time, so it won't be recognised as goods.
Aha ... that might be it indeed.
This can be tested by providing goods to desert towns, if you are correct they should be counted as water ...
I will check this before testing the ECS vectors.

hthhs wrote: My guess is that _date is overflowing and becoming negative. I suspect this would cause the computation of hours and minutes (using the modulus operator) to return negative values. This could also explain the normal date display also breaking and showing incorrect strings, which may be (one of) the other problems I was referring to when I wrote that comment.
I'll have a loosksie to see if I can find where it overflows.
Limiting the _date to uint if it is not already should solve it?

Edit:
hthhs wrote:
How about [Shift+R] ?
I'll check if it is not taken yet. If not ... you win! :)

hthhs
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hthhs »

ChillCore wrote: Limiting the _date to uint if it is not already should solve it?
I would think so, at least with regard to negative numbers being displayed. Strange behaviour may still occur when it (eventually) overflows ;)

EDIT: Just figured this out...
Eddi wrote: You see there a timetable for a waypoint [left, outer tracks], and one for a station [right, inner track]. the waypoint shows a wrong final destination for the train, while the station shows it correctly.

The schedule works as follows (number = station, letter = waypoint):
Passenger train: 1 - A - B - C - 3 [and backwards]
Freight train: 1' - A - 2 - C' - 3' [and backwards]
shown here is timetable for B and for 2.
final destination for freight train should be 3' on the southbound route, and 1' on the northbound route [shown correctly]
final destination for passenger train should be 3 on the southbound route, and 1 on the northbound route, but these are switched around.
Is the order to go to 3' set to unload all? If not, then the code that calculates the departures at A, B or C doesn't realise that the passenger train is intended to terminate at 3', and instead assumes that it will continue to 1'. The next station the train calls at after 1' is 3'. As this station has already been seen, the train is assumed to terminate at 1'.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Eddi, you is tha man ... mystery solved ... see attachment.
Now to fix that is another issue ... I have no clue where to start ... :?
Attachments
Note, I did not yet correct the strings in my patchpack code ...<br />- Delivered cargo should say &quot;this month&quot; instead of &quot;last month&quot;.<br />- &quot;Demand last month&quot; should say &quot;Most demanded last month&quot;.
Note, I did not yet correct the strings in my patchpack code ...
- Delivered cargo should say "this month" instead of "last month".
- "Demand last month" should say "Most demanded last month".
Bindston Transport, 1953-09-21.png (43.35 KiB) Viewed 2086 times

supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Chill, are you playing with comic sans as your font?

Return to “OpenTTD Development”