Station Help

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

bigdanC
Engineer
Engineer

Station Help

Post by bigdanC »

Hi, I am looking for some help in redesigning the main station in this savegame. I have named the savegame Tryme and would like everyone to download it and edit it and show me how they would create the main factory station.
Thanks for any help

Dan

p.s.

Please rename to Tryme(name).sav so i know who sent what idea's. Thanks again
Attachments
TryMe.sav
Pleaserenameto Tryme(name).sav so i know who sent what idea's
(251.51 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Station Help

Post by Alberth »

It looks insane imho.
Also, you have too many trains, they are all just waiting for each other all along the edge.
bigdanC
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bigdanC »

they usually back up from the station. they meet the demand they just need a flowing station. hence the ask :)
Arie-
Director
Director

Post by Arie- »

True, the best approach probably is to send all trains to a depot, destroy everything and start with a 4 lane main line. The main lines are just too crowded (too many trains) to ever get it working.
bigdanC
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bigdanC »

thats what I want people to do, so I can learn different techniques
mfb
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mfb »

I improved something here and something there, the most important thing: Curve lengths!
The result is not good and coal/wood station are a big problem... but the jams got smaller :D and the main station can handle the traffic now.

Maybe that will help if you want to build large and good networks.
Attachments
TryMe-mfb.sav
(r21891)
(210.34 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
bigdanC
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bigdanC »

i kind of get were your going with some of the changes, but is regulating trains right? at the cost of how many trains get to the station???
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

I offer you a similar savegame with a station of similar size serving 750 trains: http://wiki.openttdcoop.org/PublicServe ... #gameid_91

The first priority in your game for me would not be to fix that station but to fix the network such that e.g. the junction following your station (where the steel mill joins and then trains branch to North-East / South-West) doesn't jam anymore your station's exit.
555gln22
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 555gln22 »

One thing with this layout was that I never saw all of the platforms in use at the same time. It's very inefficient.

Here's my effort. I had to "move" the power station. Note all of the traffic jams elsewhere now - that's because the station flows a bit better. I'd recommend using path instead of block signals at junctions too, makes things a bit smoother.
Attachments
TryMe.sav
(195.88 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
Formerly known as 'davepoth'
bigdanC
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bigdanC »

dave i like the idea, but that's a hell of a lot of unsignaled bridge time. it flows much better though. Im impressed :)
555gln22
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 555gln22 »

bigdanC wrote:dave i like the idea, but that's a hell of a lot of unsignaled bridge time. it flows much better though. Im impressed :)
I spent a while trying to figure that out. Usually when I try that setup the exit lines are to the north as well, which makes it flow a lot better, but for that number of platforms the layout would have been at least 32 tiles wide by I think something like 50 squares deep, which wouldn't fit.
Formerly known as 'davepoth'
bigdanC
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bigdanC »

they used to go north but i redirected them because the lines switched over..... could easily go back
Fastphil
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Fastphil »

I see a couple of places I could improve upon. I'll take a closer look at it tomorrow. Is there any sure way to verify if the changes we've made have actually improved the network? Overall train income?
Muzzly
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Muzzly »

for bigdanC

My advice for you:
1. Use one way path signals or path signals ( last two on in a signal window)
2. Build some connection between parallel lines, so that trains could jump form one line to other if jam is in front.
3. DO NOT make signal with density 1 , it very bad idea. If jam happens, you will have no chance to get rid of train. When trains are so dense to each other during jam, you cannot make any modification on the rails. So better for the beginning use signal density 2 or more.
Level Crossing
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Level Crossing »

Solved all but two jams, the wood trains just need another bridge near the big station.
The coal trains need to be double-tracked after the big station.
The only other delay is where the steel trains merge. That just needs to have a few less trains.
Attachments
TryMe Level Crossing.sav
(261.11 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
Like my avatar? See my screenshot thread
bigdanC
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bigdanC »

Muzzly wrote:for bigdanC

My advice for you:
1. Use one way path signals or path signals ( last two on in a signal window)
2. Build some connection between parallel lines, so that trains could jump form one line to other if jam is in front.
3. DO NOT make signal with density 1 , it very bad idea. If jam happens, you will have no chance to get rid of train. When trains are so dense to each other during jam, you cannot make any modification on the rails. So better for the beginning use signal density 2 or more.
1. I do not use path signals for one reason.... if you have nothing but path signals the trains turn round and wait for path pointing in the wrong direction when there is a jam. where as with normal signals they wait facing the right way...

2. I did have parallel connections but they appeared to make it worse (maybe im doing the wrong?????)

3. Ok will remember that :D Thanks :D
bigdanC
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bigdanC »

I might try turning it into a one way loop.....
bigdanC
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bigdanC »

Have turned it into a one way bi-track... has helped A LOT with jams... pretty much none existant.... any other suggestions??
Attachments
Onewayloop.sav
(238.32 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
Fastphil
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Fastphil »

Here's what I've accomplished so far. I stopped all the planes just to make it easier to work on the rail network. I'm enjoying working on this, so I'll do some more when I have time and post it up again. I've also made changes in other areas besides the main station you're asking about.

Phil
Attachments
TrymeFastphil.sav
(260.68 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
bigdanC
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bigdanC »

Fastphil wrote:Here's what I've accomplished so far. I stopped all the planes just to make it easier to work on the rail network. I'm enjoying working on this, so I'll do some more when I have time and post it up again. I've also made changes in other areas besides the main station you're asking about.

Phil
phil might i suggest you attempt working from the dual one way track save? I am interested in what changes people make to it :)

Return to “General OpenTTD”