[OTTD] Trainliner

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
syntax_error
Engineer
Engineer

[OTTD] Trainliner

Post by syntax_error »

A scenario designed for trains. Cities are located on each side of a central cayon, that you will have to cross to run long distance passenger lines. The primary industrial ressources are in the mountains and lakes at center. This scenario uses FIRS newgrf for a more complex cycle.
The challenging part is to build the central tracks, that requires a good amount of cash. You will need to develop local passenger trafic or industry to get enough money to reach the industry ressources at center. These ressources will bring in enough cash for the long distance passenger and secondary industry tracks.
Once this done, the real fun begins with complex train routing problems.
trainliner_minimap.png
trainliner_minimap.png (11.78 KiB) Viewed 7372 times
Primary ressources are delivered by truck or ship to a central train hub, from where they are dispatched on the map. In the example below it is a roll-in roll-out station with waiting zones at both sides. It serves 54 trains fluently with only 8 slots. These is made possible by a constant delivery of ressources to the station, and a strict train routing system where the trains do not have much choices for changing directions.
trainliner_station.jpg
trainliner_station.jpg (334.46 KiB) Viewed 633 times
You can make complex train tracks. I made two isolated networks: the two central tracks for fast passenger express are not connected to the industry tracks with slower and heavy trains:
trainliner_tracks.jpg
trainliner_tracks.jpg (325.67 KiB) Viewed 633 times
Last edited by syntax_error on 30 Nov 2010 23:54, edited 4 times in total.
syntax_error
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OTTD] Trainliner

Post by syntax_error »

The file:
trainliner1.9.2.scn
(141.46 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
( updated to version 1.9.2 )

New: an early version starting in 1792:
trainliner1.9.2_early.scn
(151.9 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
-> Early rail newgrf needed: get it here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=41132

An old save to show the whole network - update needed:
Traiinliner 2027.sav
(276.14 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
Last edited by syntax_error on 12 Jan 2011 22:39, edited 5 times in total.
syntax_error
Engineer
Engineer

Post by syntax_error »

Please tell me what you think of that scenario if you played it. I am interested on opinions to make it better.
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

Hi there. Nice looking scenario I can see this becoming something great with a little work. The map design is great the geography is fine, however I think you could have made the hills more random, currently they are just plane straight pyramidal accents, a some variation would go a long way.

One more problem that should be easy to fix is that there is way too many new grfs for the average player, most people wont have all these grfs. I'd recommend removing all vehicle sets as the player can add the ones of their choosing when they start and remove any new grfs which are not obtainable via the online download system, people wont' bother to look for them anywhere else.
grfprobs.png
(230.63 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Sorry if I'm being too negative, its great for your first scenario, I'm trying to help you improve it :D

Thanks,

lawton27
syntax_error
Engineer
Engineer

Post by syntax_error »

Thanks for your advices. I posted an update of the map with a more random mountains design. See up there for download.

The newgrf sets had been updated to use some recent ones, all obtainable via the online download system.

* Edit: removed the outdated old screnshot with the newgrf list. See above for the new list. *

I rebuilt all the industry chain using FIRS. I did keep some compatible vehicules sets, they are required to transport all the types of industrial cargos. PIGM is here to improve the difficulty; I don't like it when it is too easy.

Does it sound OK like that?
Sorry if I'm being too negative
Not at all: I apreciated your remarks, they were usefull to improve the scenario. Thanks for your help.
Last edited by syntax_error on 12 Jan 2011 23:14, edited 1 time in total.
syntax_error
Engineer
Engineer

Post by syntax_error »

Updated to version 1.6.

- Adjustments in the industry chain.Most of the ressources are not easy to start exploiting, but once it is working it pays.

- Game now starts in 1935 and good road vehicules are available. This allows the player to start making money by road with some of the industries, instead of having to start developing passenger trafic.

Please post your remarks if you played it.
odinmillion
Engineer
Engineer

Post by odinmillion »

Thank you! I feel hard to play on random map with FIRS industries, but your scenario much more comfortable. Great!
syntax_error
Engineer
Engineer

Post by syntax_error »

Thanx for your support odinmillion.

I updated the scenario to version 1.9.2: this update contains minor adjustments in the industry and little changes of some configuration options that needed to be well set. The parameters of HEQS are now set to more expensive purchase and runing costs. The newgrf versions had been updated to the latest stable ones.

List of newgrf used:
- FIRS 0.5.5
- UKRS 3.04 + addon
- eGRVTS 1
- HEQS 1
- FISH 0.8.2
- Industrial stations renewal 0.8

This scenario is now well balanced and this version has good chances to be the definitive one. Get the file up there.

I also released an early version starting in 1792, if there are some freaks interested. It uses the very cool Early Rail newgrf. I also added some shorter distance industry chains so they can be exploited with the early rail vehicules. Early rails and sailing ships newgrf are required in that one. Cargodist is recomended here. See up there for the file.
syntax_error
Engineer
Engineer

[OTTD] Trainliner 2.0

Post by syntax_error »

An up to date version with some changes:

- Industry production levels had been raised.
- Bigger towns instead of several villages, making it easier to handle passenger trafic.
- Nars + 2cc train sets instead of Ukrs: Nars for the good steam engines for freight or long distance pax, and 2cc for the electric interurban and a few other interesting engines.

This scenario is not an easy start: the loan is 500 you have to take good care to get a profitable starting line. Then when some lines are set and money flowing in the challenges gets to train routing.

List of newgrfs used:

- Firs
- Industrial stations renewal
- Basecosts mod
- Heqs
- Aviators aircrafts
- Nars + 2cc (balanced)
- Fish
- Narvs
Attachments
trainliner2.0.scn
(139.82 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
syntax_error
Engineer
Engineer

Post by syntax_error »

Version 2.1 with up to date newgrfs:
trainliner2.1_ukrs.scn
UKRS version
(146.15 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
trainliner2.1_2cc.scn
Version 2cc+NARS (balanced)
(148.17 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
trainliner2.1_early.scn
Version early start (1800)
(148.96 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
For the early start version you will need the Early Rail newgrf
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

Nice to see an updated version :) . I do love the way this forces a certain gameplay and big hills are great!

Edit: Sorry, just noticed this is a bit of a bump, not quite sure how I found myself browsing here, I just looked at the year and assumed it was recent :)
syntax_error
Engineer
Engineer

Post by syntax_error »

Here is the update:
trainliner2.2_ukrs.scn
Ukrs version
(146.61 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
trainliner2.2_2cc.scn
2cc / Nars version
(148.31 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
trainliner2.2_early.scn
Early start version
(149.46 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
syntax_error
Engineer
Engineer

Post by syntax_error »

By the way I am working on a new scenario derivated from this map, more difficult.
corridor.png
corridor.png (23.73 KiB) Viewed 4086 times
Here is an alpha release for preview and testing: comments are welcome!
corridor.0.4.5.scn
Corridor alpha preview
(84.11 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
I'll make a new post when a stable version will be ready.

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”