FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development

Post by Kogut »

Kogut wrote:
andythenorth wrote:
Kogut wrote:Small request: is it possible to add mail to accepted cargos on oil rig?
Would you want mail produced also? (not possible - industry cargo limit reached)
Yes, I want it but I know that it is impossible, that is why it was not suggested by me.
I still would like to have it.
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development & Translatio

Post by andythenorth »

michael blunck wrote:That´s one of the ill-conceived things in FIRS: the cargoes are mostly too generic. And this isn´t only a matter of taste, but it´s also against the "spirit" of introduced means to guarantee general applicability for vehicle sets.
I see the issue, and we've discussed it a little by pm. I disagree that it's ill-conceived.

The FIRS cargo scheme has gameplay as the primary concern. There's been quite some evolution and testing to that end, with input and help from a lot of people. Accepting the FIRS cargos on these terms means also accepting some inconsistencies with vehicles. I know it's a specific problem, but it's one I choose to live with.

It remains the case that using classes carefully provides widespread vehicle support for FIRS - at the basic level of ensuring that vehicles are provided to carry the cargos. There are some problems providing appropriate graphics, and a few things that stand out as odd, such as the issue with building materials which implies both cement and window glass travelling in hoppers. However the gameplay seems to work.

I am open to suggestions for further improvements (although the other contributors have requested that I make no further changes to cargo chains at least until FIRS 1.0 is released).
Ogre
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ogre »

andythenorth wrote:...I am open to suggestions for further improvements (although the other contributors have requested that I make no further changes to cargo chains at least until FIRS 1.0 is released).
At some point of view, it could be better if a part of this set is done once and for all. I think this issue can be solved by renaming / replacing / translating some of the cargoes in to more specific ones, making translations (and people's acceptance maybe) a bit easier without loosing the original idea. In my opinion, none of the cargo chains has to be changed, since we are discussing names, descriptions, not the cargo chain itself. Assuming the cargo classes can be kept, a simple renaming of some cargoes could do the job. I agree that this is not an easy task to find new names everyone likes and indentifies as you do, however once this is completed, chances are much lower that people may ask for changes. Anyway, I am not as deeply involved as many others, so consider this as a simple suggestion / thougt.
andythenorth wrote:...There are some problems providing appropriate graphics, and a few things that stand out as odd, such as the issue with building materials which implies both cement and window glass travelling in hoppers. However the gameplay seems to work...
Here should the player be put in charge: if he wants to play with a drop of realism, he has to select the correct cargo carriers depending on the industry he collects the cargo from. If you want to control the choice of cars you either have to make the vehicle sets more restrictive or you transform "building materials" to "cement" or "concrete" and have the player transport it together with "lumber", "glas" to the constrution yard...

@Michael: I want to apologize for not having read your post carefully enough.
The pessimist sees the darkness in the tunnel.
The optimist sees the light at the end of the tunnel.
The realist sees the light coming closer...
The engineer sees three fools in front of his train on the track in the tunnel.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

andythenorth wrote:
michael blunck wrote:It remains the case that using classes carefully provides widespread vehicle support for FIRS - at the basic level of ensuring that vehicles are provided to carry the cargos. There are some problems providing appropriate graphics, and a few things that stand out as odd, such as the issue with building materials which implies both cement and window glass travelling in hoppers. However the gameplay seems to work.
Would this also explain why I'm seeing Wool as being transported in tankers? :-)
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

My favourite Lime Kiln ( http://www.zumi.pl/,Czajowice,Szukaj,19 ... mapie.html? )

offtopic: that topic reached 100k views
Attachments
wapiennik.jpg
wapiennik.jpg (108.85 KiB) Viewed 2368 times
aerial view.PNG
aerial view.PNG (225.4 KiB) Viewed 2368 times
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
kvwrd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kvwrd »

andythenorth wrote:This is the English language file for FIRS. Translations are welcome - just replace the strings in this file with localised versions, then post it back here.
7F_any.txt
What is the main difference between manufacturing and engineering supplies? I tried to figure it out by myself, but my language skill is just not enough. :)
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

kvwrd wrote: What is the main difference between manufacturing and engineering supplies? I tried to figure it out by myself, but my language skill is just not enough. :)
Hehe. Tell me if you´ll find it out. 8)
http://tt-foundry.com/sets/FIRS/schema/industries wrote: Machine Shop -> Engineering Supplies -> Recycling Plant -> Manufacturing Supplies

regards
Michael
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

kvwrd wrote:
andythenorth wrote:This is the English language file for FIRS. Translations are welcome - just replace the strings in this file with localised versions, then post it back here.
7F_any.txt
What is the main difference between manufacturing and engineering supplies? I tried to figure it out by myself, but my language skill is just not enough. :)
- eng sup are going to raw industries (things used in mining, logging -> heavy machinery, tools)
- man sup are going to processing industries (things used during standard production -> paper, jars, tools, packagings)
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

I think that graphics from Survey Supply Depot may be used to make variants of foo farm.
EDIT: As I remember sb requested screens...
Attachments
Bez tytułu.png
Bez tytułu.png (621.23 KiB) Viewed 470 times
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
kvwrd
Engineer
Engineer

FIRS russian translation

Post by kvwrd »

andythenorth wrote: This is the English language file for FIRS. Translations are welcome - just replace the strings in this file with localised versions, then post it back here.
The attachment 7F_any.txt is no longer available
This is my translation of FIRS on russian language. I've never translated any TTD files before and still have few questions: :)
  1. What is \UE07C \87 values and TEXT_CRG_xxxx_TABBR constants?
  2. It is possible to use custom function to get totally correct translation? The problem is that translation file supposed to have 2 cases: singular and plural, but in russian language there is 3 cases for nouns after numerals. (for example: 1 тонна of bauxite, 30 тонн of bauxite, 42 тонны of bauxite). I left missing translation strings commented and with _GUNIT postfix but don't know is it possible to use them. The function for determining noun case can be found here (it's written in javascript): http://pastebin.com/4wKGDvRn
  3. What is correct LANG_ID and LANG_ID2 for russian language and where these values can be found?
  4. How I can test this translation? Because i'm not sure it's really correct, maybe it's need to play some time to find out the errors.
Thank you.
Attachments
7F_any_RU_full_beta.txt
Russian language translation for FIRS
(26.32 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Ogre
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ogre »

Kogut wrote:- eng sup are going to raw industries (things used in mining, logging -> heavy machinery, tools)
- man sup are going to processing industries (things used during standard production -> paper, jars, tools, packagings)
Now that is a clarification... so scrap metal is a "minable raw material" ? 8) :P

[Sorry, I could not resist...]
The pessimist sees the darkness in the tunnel.
The optimist sees the light at the end of the tunnel.
The realist sees the light coming closer...
The engineer sees three fools in front of his train on the track in the tunnel.
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

Ogre wrote:
Kogut wrote:- eng sup are going to raw industries (things used in mining, logging -> heavy machinery, tools)
Now that is a clarification... so scrap metal is a "minable raw material" ? 8) :P

[Sorry, I could not resist...]
OK, I should use etc. Anyway in Junk Yard there is used kind of machinery.
Last edited by Kogut on 02 Nov 2010 21:55, edited 1 time in total.
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: FIRS russian translation

Post by planetmaker »

kvwrd wrote:
andythenorth wrote: This is the English language file for FIRS. Translations are welcome - just replace the strings in this file with localised versions, then post it back here.
7F_any.txt
This is my translation of FIRS on russian language. I've never translated any TTD files before and still have few questions: :)
  1. What is \UE07C \87 values and TEXT_CRG_xxxx_TABBR constants?
  2. It is possible to use custom function to get totally correct translation? The problem is that translation file supposed to have 2 cases: singular and plural, but in russian language there is 3 cases for nouns after numerals. (for example: 1 тонна of bauxite, 30 тонн of bauxite, 42 тонны of bauxite). I left missing translation strings commented and with _GUNIT postfix but don't know is it possible to use them. The function for determining noun case can be found here (it's written in javascript): http://pastebin.com/4wKGDvRn
  3. What is correct LANG_ID and LANG_ID2 for russian language and where these values can be found?
  4. How I can test this translation? Because i'm not sure it's really correct, maybe it's need to play some time to find out the errors.
Thank you.
ad 1) Those are special string format constants like tab, colours and indicator that the string is in UTF8
ad 2) That is unfortunately not (yet) possible. If it is a consoloation: you're not alone with that trouble.
ad 3) don't worry. But here you are http://hg.openttdcoop.org/nml/raw-file/ ... uage-files - 07 is the languageID.
ad 4) Only by building the NewGRF with that translation included. Check your forum mail. In the near future I'll add translations to the repository and the translations will appear in the nightlies
kvwrd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kvwrd »

Fixed broken TEXT_INFO_GENERIC_CLOSE_2 in russian translation file.
Attachments
7F_any_RU_full_beta_2.txt
(26.3 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

kvwrd wrote:What is the main difference between manufacturing and engineering supplies? I tried to figure it out by myself, but my language skill is just not enough. :)
One is a production boost for non-farm primary industry.
The other is a production boost for secondary industry.
That's the simple gameplay definition. It might not help with translations though :)
--
@kogut, nice screenshots. The builders yard is conveniently close to the cement plant :shock:
kvwrd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kvwrd »

Another small changes that removes irritating dots after "т" and from now i promise not to be so often.
Attachments
7F_any_RU_2010-11-03.txt
(26.3 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

As I see only petrol has TE_GOODS flag. I think that also goods and building materials should have it. For now it has no influence for vanilia but that killed my patch (towngroth based on TE_FOOD & TE_GOODS flags).

Is it possible to have quick fix?

PS: affected code from my patch

Code: Select all

const CargoSpec *cs = CargoSpec::Get(cargo_type);
if (cs->town_effect == TE_GOODS) st->town->new_act_goods += accepted;
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Kogut - we looked at your request, implementing it would cause some issues in the default game - towns would accept multiple growth cargos, but the GUI has no way to display it. It's quite easy to checkout FIRS and patch this yourself though ;)

Here's some graphics for the Sugar Refinery:
sugar_refinery.png
sugar_refinery.png (13.7 KiB) Viewed 1948 times
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

andythenorth wrote:Kogut - we looked at your request, implementing it would cause some issues in the default game - towns would accept multiple growth cargos, but the GUI has no way to display it. It's quite easy to checkout FIRS and patch this yourself though ;)
AFAIK goods towngroth cargos are not displayed in vanilia. Only food & water.
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD

Return to “Graphics Development”