Another Daylength patch

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Dante123
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: Another Daylength patch

Post by Dante123 »

pavel1269 wrote:Thanks :-/ ... quick-fix have not solved problem, will take longer to solve :-/
Edit: very thanks for a feed back :-)
even more thankfull you want to take your time to put effort in it :D

cant wait for a new test version :)
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

Hmm, that's a pretty strange bug. Are you using that patch fix pavel provided?
Dante123
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Dante123 »

petert wrote:Hmm, that's a pretty strange bug. Are you using that patch fix pavel provided?
ofc,
thats what the whole post was about :P testing the daylength ecs support test patch ;)
pavel1269
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by pavel1269 »

Update :-) Removed "Slow down industry changes with day length factor". Added patchvar 0x14. Also, day length factor can no longer be changed during game.
Dante123
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Dante123 »

pavel1269 wrote:Update :-) Removed "Slow down industry changes with day length factor". Added patchvar 0x14. Also, day length factor can no longer be changed during game.
is this because of future possible ecs support within the patch ?
or will this just be too complicated to make for supporting ecs vectors ? (and thus abandoned ?)
pavel1269
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by pavel1269 »

Dante123 wrote:is this because of future possible ecs support within the patch ?
or will this just be too complicated to make for supporting ecs vectors ? (and thus abandoned ?)
Actually, George mentioned, that it is not possible to have that setting Off, while having ECS vectors. IMHO, with every non-trivil industry set :-)

EDIT: same for the changable day length factor
Dante123
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Dante123 »

but is there still hope for some solution to the ECS support ? :)
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

Do you (or anybody) have an update Win32 binary?
pavel1269
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by pavel1269 »

Dante123 wrote:but is there still hope for some solution to the ECS support ? :)
Well, hope is here everytime. Actually, I think we are on or past the half-way to support ECS.
petert wrote:Do you (or anybody) have an update Win32 binary?
Will provide tomorrow, if needed.

EDIT: "typo"
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

Never mind that, here is an MSVC binary for win32.
Attachments
daylength_win32_r18622.rar
(3.3 MiB) Downloaded 224 times
daylength_PDB_win32_r18622.rar
Debugging only
(2.59 MiB) Downloaded 140 times
ElectricA4
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ElectricA4 »

I've been playing the r18511 win32 build. I would like to say I like this patch a lot.

I was playing a saved game and set the following:
- day length factor: 50
- balancing of daylength: Running costs
- Balancing factor: 50
- include property maint : On
- include loan interests: Off
- Slow down vehicle reli: Off
- Slow down town growth: On
- Slow down industry changes: On
- show original production: On

For me the secondary industries all show their production quantities as 0, even though I have had a constant stream of required materials being transported there for a long time.

I have a small suggestion... with the primary industries; perhaps when you have "show original production: on" the multiplier could be shown next to it. eg. 'Production: 64 (x50) tonnes of coal'. The original production values are useful for keeping things in perspective and determining how many trains and carriages etc. we need, but it is obviously inaccurate because of the day length change. Or maybe the option could be removed and just have both shown (when a non-standard day length is chosen) eg. 'Production: 3200 (64) tonnes of coal'?

Also in your first post you say "Day length factor: 1-50 !!! Can no longed be changed during game. !!!", I could change it in my game, maybe it's been updated since. But if it is changed to this, maybe the day length factor could be changed when an option for it is marked in the cheat menu?

Anyway, thanks for the patch, I think it is good.

Edit: I think tree generation needs to be modified as well, my map is completely covered in trees even though I have only played a couple of years with your patch (x50 day length). I think there is a separate tree patch somewhere, but i think it should probably be tied in with the day length.
pavel1269
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by pavel1269 »

ElectricA4 wrote:For me the secondary industries all show their production quantities as 0, even though I have had a constant stream of required materials being transported there for a long time.
Is this only visible value? ie, does it actually produce, but visible value is 0?
ElectricA4 wrote:I have a small suggestion... with the primary industries; perhaps when you have "show original production: on" the multiplier could be shown next to it. eg. 'Production: 64 (x50) tonnes of coal'. The original production values are useful for keeping things in perspective and determining how many trains and carriages etc. we need, but it is obviously inaccurate because of the day length change. Or maybe the option could be removed and just have both shown (when a non-standard day length is chosen) eg. 'Production: 3200 (64) tonnes of coal'?
I have thought about changing this behavior also. And also removing the "show original production" at all.
ElectricA4 wrote:Also in your first post you say "Day length factor: 1-50 !!! Can no longed be changed during game. !!!", I could change it in my game, maybe it's been updated since. But if it is changed to this, maybe the day length factor could be changed when an option for it is marked in the cheat menu?
Yes, it was changed. It was just breaking the newgrf compatibility even more.
ElectricA4 wrote:Anyway, thanks for the patch, I think it is good.
Thanks. :-)
ElectricA4 wrote:Edit: I think tree generation needs to be modified as well, my map is completely covered in trees even though I have only played a couple of years with your patch (x50 day length). I think there is a separate tree patch somewhere, but i think it should probably be tied in with the day length.
I dont think, but the tree growth patch is useful and merging, at least those two patches, are so easy :-)
ElectricA4
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ElectricA4 »

pavel1269 wrote: Is this only visible value? ie, does it actually produce, but visible value is 0?
Yes, the industry directory shows the correct value, however the industry itself does not (see attached). The r18622 above attached by petert does the same.

Also, as was said before about the original production value being shown along-side the actual, can the actual production value of secondary industries be divided to show the equivalent original production value as well? Maybe it is already supposed to divide when 'show original production' is turned on but I can't tell because of the production value is not showing at all.
pavel1269 wrote:
ElectricA4 wrote:Also in your first post you say "Day length factor: 1-50 !!! Can no longed be changed during game. !!!", I could change it in my game, maybe it's been updated since. But if it is changed to this, maybe the day length factor could be changed when an option for it is marked in the cheat menu?
Yes, it was changed. It was just breaking the newgrf compatibility even more.
So will it always be like this? No chance of changing the day length mid-game at all?
Attachments
2nd Industry.PNG
2nd Industry.PNG (41.62 KiB) Viewed 3833 times
pavel1269
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by pavel1269 »

ElectricA4 wrote:Yes, the industry directory shows the correct value, however the industry itself does not (see attached). The r18622 above attached by petert does the same.
Thanks for the report, I exactly know where the problem is. Hope will fix soon ;-)
pavel1269 wrote:So will it always be like this? No chance of changing the day length mid-game at all?
Well, maybe there will be a way, but not in nearest future.
Dante123
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Dante123 »

any update yet upon the ECS support ? :D
pavel1269
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by pavel1269 »

A little bump to my old thread :-)

Here is a new approach for this patch. Finally support for all newgrfs (I hope). But now, with slower days, everything, except moving vehicles, will be slower.

Hope someone else than me will also enjoy this :-)

EDIT:

A little update. There was a problem with savegames. You could save, but could not load your game. Fixed, also, you can load games from previous version ;-)

EDIT2: Attachments removed.
Last edited by pavel1269 on 19 Jul 2010 08:59, edited 1 time in total.
Dante123
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Dante123 »

yea!!
will start playing OTTD now again i guess :D
now this in combination with the ECS vectors will be awsome!

thanx pavel!
pavel1269
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by pavel1269 »

My first tip would be to "roughly", test it. Sure I did that, but I can not catch everything. I do not want you to start your "perfect" game and then find some bug, which will prevent you from playing it.
Dante123
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Dante123 »

so far a little glitch that i have found, you may have noticed it yourself too.
the animations of the industries will pause-move-pause-move depending on the daylength factor.

i made a small screendump movie out of it to illustrate what i mean (best to watch in the HD setting):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-37ehAyQNY
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Post by ostlandr »

Thanks for all the hard work on this. Daylength makes my OTTD experience better. If I decide to play in a certain era (golden age of railroading, or steam-to-diesel era) I can stay in that era for a longer game.
Who is John Galt?

Return to “OpenTTD Development”