FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development

Post by George »

andythenorth wrote:Irwe did some more nice snow sprites :)
Imho Irwe's snow is too blueish. Try to make it more white.
Image Image Image Image
Irwe
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Irwe »

George wrote:
andythenorth wrote:Irwe did some more nice snow sprites :)
Imho Irwe's snow is too blueish. Try to make it more white.
I also thought it looked to blue at the begining, but I actually draw snow just like the original TTD sprites and it does look good with the original graphics. OpenGFX on the other hand has a bit more white"ish" snow so it might not fit into the OpenGFX world.
Swedish Houses Version 1.1 Released
Swedish Road Vehicles Work in Progress
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

The Textile Mill shading wasn't good enough. I improved it with some shadows / anti-aliasing.
textile_mill_original.png
textile_mill_original.png (68.58 KiB) Viewed 2274 times
textile_mill_improved.png
textile_mill_improved.png (33.03 KiB) Viewed 2274 times
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

andythenorth wrote:The Textile Mill shading wasn't good enough. I improved it with some shadows / anti-aliasing.
Do you have not textured version of the textile mill, the brewery and the bakery? Like the one that was for glass works? So I could re-texture it instead of recolour it?

P.S. What about the files I send you? Why didn't you put the to FIRS repository?
Image Image Image Image
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

George wrote:P.S. What about the files I send you? Why didn't you put the to FIRS repository?
I'm happy with the sprites I have already :) Thanks though.

EDIT: also some amends to the Cement Plant - now uses company colour, plus fixed a wrong ground tile and some other details. Same applies to Glass Works (no screenie though).
cement_plants_cc.png
cement_plants_cc.png (479.37 KiB) Viewed 2230 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Looking nice... One more step on the road to epic!
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

andythenorth wrote:
George wrote:Do you have not textured version of the textile mill, the brewery and the bakery? Like the one that was for glass works?
glassworks-frame.png
glassworks-frame.png (5.31 KiB) Viewed 2175 times
So, do you have them? If yes, could you make them available for download?
andythenorth wrote:
George wrote:P.S. What about the files I send you? Why didn't you put the to FIRS repository?
I'm happy with the sprites I have already :) Thanks though.
I didn't mean to put them Instead the current ones. I meant to put the into the http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/fir ... ow/sources section under "Derivative work" folder or something like that.
Image Image Image Image
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

George wrote:If yes, could you make them available for download?
Ok, misunderstanding :)
textile_mill.psd.zip
(37.62 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
The brewery and bakery were drawn in nearly-correct colours, these are the only untextured sprites I have:
brewery_2.png
brewery_2.png (4.5 KiB) Viewed 2168 times
bakery_3.png
bakery_3.png (3.73 KiB) Viewed 2168 times
Irwe
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Irwe »

andythenorth wrote:Improved Fertiliser Plant graphics (now featuring company colour and anti-aliasing). I'll add some more layouts sometime.
All the FIRS graphics looks so smooth, I just want to... pet them :]
Swedish Houses Version 1.1 Released
Swedish Road Vehicles Work in Progress
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Irwe wrote:All the FIRS graphics looks so smooth, I just want to... pet them :]
The anti-aliasing is quite easy to do. It's an easy thing to go back and add later...it's nice to take a break straight after completing the building.

Core Xii provided examples of how to do aa originally. Interestingly some of the original TTD graphics are anti-aliased, and some are very 1980s-style game art....bold lines with high contrast :o I like them either way :)
Core Xii
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Core Xii »

andythenorth wrote:Core Xii provided examples of how to do aa originally. Interestingly some of the original TTD graphics are anti-aliased, and some are very 1980s-style game art....bold lines with high contrast :o I like them either way :)
I'm an example, now? :lol:

For all intents and purposes I'm still here and willing to touch up everything. It's just that a) I got a bit sidetracked, b) I haven't played OTTD lately because I've been waiting for a few critical patches and c) I feel that the graphics we have aren't final, and any work I might do on them might be pointless if they change anyway.

This is as far as I got with the aluminum mill before I got distracted:
Anti-aliased
Anti-aliased
aluminium_mill_shaded_aa.gif (17.16 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
Comparison:
Comparison
Comparison
aluminummillcompare.gif (33.71 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

I love the work you are doing on the buildings the added variety in the colours makes them look less uniform

Would it be possible to do something to liven up the bases? All industries I've seen the ground tends to be cracked stained and has weeds poking up
Freak_NL
Engineer
Engineer

Suggestion: Malls

Post by Freak_NL »

After playing with FIRS for a good while, I noticed that the growing cities kept gaining more and more general stores. These are quite hard to service if you produce a good amount of food and the general store isn't in a bigger station's area of influence. What do you think of the following proposal?

Idea:
Would it be possible to have cities with more than 10000 inhabitants to stop building general stores and switch to generating one or two malls on the city outskirts (like bakeries and breweries do)? A "mall" could be as simple as a general store with three parking lot tiles added, or even custom graphics (bigger building, parking lot) in due time.

Rationale:
Feels realistic; easier to get food and goods to because of the space available, and bigger, just as in reality. It keeps the cities a bit more orderly; a city of 20000 people with 3 general stores and 2 malls is much more manageable than a city with 8 general stores in the middle of it.

Questions:
Without FIRS "goods" help cities grow. Do the goods delivered to general stores make cities grow as well? Is it possible to have these "malls" act in the same manner?
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Suggestion: Malls

Post by andythenorth »

Freak_NL wrote:Without FIRS "goods" help cities grow.
Actually they don't :) It's a very common misconception due to some errors in the OpenTTD manual (wiki) :shock:

I've changed the town page of the manual today to try and help players with this ;) http://wiki.openttd.org/Town

In answer to your other questions, yes something like that is planned. Ultimately the FIRS general store will become a town 'house' building rather than an industry....and a number of other 'houses' will be added for supermarket, petrol station etc. The number per town will also be controlled better. There is a bit of work to do to make that happen though!
http://tt-foundry.com/sets/FIRS/schema/economies
Freak_NL
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Freak_NL »

andythenorth wrote:It's a very common misconception due to some errors in the OpenTTD manual (wiki) :shock:
Thanks for the heads up! The more you know…
Ultimately the FIRS general store will become a town 'house' building rather than an industry
What is the difference exactly?
....and a number of other 'houses' will be added for supermarket, petrol station etc. The number per town will also be controlled better. There is a bit of work to do to make that happen though!
Good to hear! I ended up with 10 general stores in a town with 11000 people… It is very hard to do large scale construction work without using the magic bulldozer this way.
10 general stores
10 general stores
This was a game using the daylength patch though, so the 50 years played represent 150 vanilla OpenTTD years, and town growth was limited as well. It may not be a good representative example. Still, for gameplay balance, a town with only 11000 people shouldn't be getting any new general stores if it has 3 or so (is this possible?).

Will all of these replace existing town houses (as the general store does now), or will some spring up near the edges of towns? You wouldn't build a new petrol station (or large supermarket) in the centre of some old town in real life either because of environmental concerns and supply difficulty, it would be nice if FIRS could mimick that behaviour. If they must be town houses, can OpenTTD have them pop up only as new buildings on empty tiles instead of replacing old houses? That would usually place them on the edges too.
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

no comment on the stores, but anyway, thats a very nice screenshot :D
Member of the
ImageImage

Return to “Graphics Development”