GRF encoder tool: GRFMaker [under development]

Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: GRF encoder tool: GRFMaker [under development]

Post by NekoMaster »

neg wrote:Doesn't happen to me - have you tried the newest version?
New and old don't work, 3.03 and the latest beta don't work in Wine for Ubuntu 32 bit or Windows 7 32bit
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

NekoMaster wrote:Um, for some reson not matter what I do grf maker keeps saying "Invalid Filename" when I try to compile a grf, even though Its called asdtest
You probably haven't set up the correct path for the generated grf:s - you get this message if you point to a non-existing folder.

It could also be a Windows 7 issue - try having GRFMaker installed in a folder outside the Program Files hierarchy where you have write permission as a normal user. And make sure you have the correct permissions in the folder where you want to store your grf:s.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

AndersI wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:Um, for some reson not matter what I do grf maker keeps saying "Invalid Filename" when I try to compile a grf, even though Its called asdtest
You probably haven't set up the correct path for the generated grf:s - you get this message if you point to a non-existing folder.

It could also be a Windows 7 issue - try having GRFMaker installed in a folder outside the Program Files hierarchy where you have write permission as a normal user. And make sure you have the correct permissions in the folder where you want to store your grf:s.
Both are not a problem, Im a admin user and I turned UAC off since its annoying. I have Grf Maker Point to my openttd folder on my flash drive. "H:\Programs\Openttd"
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

Des it have a "newgrf" folder in it?
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

neg wrote:Des it have a "newgrf" folder in it?
I had a version before that would save it to my data folder, besides, it keeps saying "Invalid File Name"
germanio
Engineer
Engineer

Post by germanio »

NekoMaster wrote:
neg wrote:Des it have a "newgrf" folder in it?
I had a version before that would save it to my data folder, besides, it keeps saying "Invalid File Name"

I have find the same problem in windows 7 64 bits.
I have tried to run in compatibility mode of win xp and as admin but the problem continues.

PS: I want to make a list of cities from Brazil. We have translation for brazilian portuguese on the game, but we don´t have a list of cities :cry: :cry:
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Though its inconvinent, it works if you create a folder called newgrf in your openttd folder
germanio
Engineer
Engineer

Post by germanio »

NekoMaster wrote:Though its inconvinent, it works if you create a folder called newgrf in your openttd folder
Thanks a lot Neko... now this works for me... maybe later I make a new post with a new grf with brazilian cities.

PS: Sorry for my bad english :D
germanio
Engineer
Engineer

Post by germanio »

Ops.... too soon to celebrate...

Using the grf what I create, before a half hour of gameplay, the game crashes and close.

Somebody have an idea tha what can be this?
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

Show us the error message/crash log! Or, rather, the developers.

Anyway, GRFMaker's cost calculation is incorrect: put in "320x" as (buying) cost factor(again, this was on road vehicles), test, change the value to half that and test again - the price will be higher. The price is still higher with a slightly higher "cost factor" value than the original, but not as high as with a lower value.

Or is this just naturally screwed?
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

neg wrote:Or is this just naturally screwed?
255 is the maximum value. 320 presumably gets clipped to 64.

GRFMaker needs to be a lot smarter before it can be used as a replacement for understanding NFO and the NewGRF specs.
germanio
Engineer
Engineer

Post by germanio »

neg wrote:Show us the error message/crash log! Or, rather, the developers.

Anyway, GRFMaker's cost calculation is incorrect: put in "320x" as (buying) cost factor(again, this was on road vehicles), test, change the value to half that and test again - the price will be higher. The price is still higher with a slightly higher "cost factor" value than the original, but not as high as with a lower value.

Or is this just naturally screwed?
There's no error or message log, just a message from windows that saids the program needs to close.
Can be this message?

Thanks for help.

PS: Excuse my bad english ok?
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

255 is the maximum value.
Woops. Should have checked, but I guess I'll just admit to laziness for once...

Anyway, the crash log should be in the OpenTTD directory, a file appropriately named "crash.log", along with "crash.png" and "crash.dmp". Post them here.
Last edited by oberhümer on 21 Apr 2010 00:25, edited 1 time in total.

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

PikkaBird wrote:GRFMaker needs to be a lot smarter before it can be used as a replacement for understanding NFO and the NewGRF specs.
Is GRFMaker even still under development?
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

Obviously(bugs are still being fixed), but not that much anymore, as I understand the main develpers lost interest.

germanio
Engineer
Engineer

Post by germanio »

I think that i have a problem... there's no crash.log or another file of crash in ottd directory.
The error that i have is this in the screenshot:

(It's in portuguese, but its the same common error of "This program needs to be closed" of windows)

Now i will test the same package in another PC to confirm if is a general bug or if this happens only in my laptop.

AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

krtaylor wrote:Is GRFMaker even still under development?
I wouldn't call it 'development', but I'm fixing a bug now and then when: someone reports it, I understand the bug, and I've got time. The small rush when gl2 & Co. released the source was quickly over. As it is, it works for my needs for the moment, and I haven't seen any other committing a fix in a long time.

I did put up a request among the GRFMaker users to send in example projects for different purposes, to make it easier to get over some hurdles, but not even that succeeded.

There can't be many GRFMaker users...
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

AndersI wrote: [...] I did put up a request among the GRFMaker users to send in example projects [...]
Anders,
just out of interest, what kind of objects (vehicles, buildings, industries, ...) does grfmaker support?

regards
Michael
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

michael blunck wrote:what kind of objects (vehicles, buildings, industries, ...) does grfmaker support?
As far as I know, everything, except everything invented after middle of 2007. There's also a 'plain NFO block', so some of the newer things are possible to use even though they are not directly supported.

I have only used it for my Swedish Trains (and a bus), so I can't speak for its usability for other things. I know it has been used for stations, trains, ordinary road vehicles (not articulated), town names, etc.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Just a note, the GRFMaker SVN is now located at svn://grfmaker.zernebok.net/ instead of the previous location.

Return to “NewGRF Technical Discussions”