New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread (Works In Progress)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

tsjook
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread

Post by tsjook »

Neob, Zephyris and Antonio, very good work!

So nice to see all that progress in 32bpp graphics! :D
Jupix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Jupix »

neob wrote:i give up, this is the best layout i could thing of for the pipey mess sprite:
30.png
its only a layout i plan to fill it with a lot of pipes, railing , air ducts etc
any suggestions will be mostly welcome.
It does its job very well, in fact it may even be too elaborate when you observe the refinery closely: http://www.tt-forums.net/files/scr308_181.png
The sprites there are really only the concrete floor with a lot of pipes & ducts. Apart from the center piece, which has a solid cube hovering in the air for some reason, the low quality hides the function of the object there.
All the various pipes and ducts you model may end up obstructing any structural pieces deep down in the model. I think that's good though, that "mess" of details balances out the plain look of the huge storage tanks and smoke stacks. It just means you have to watch out for spending too much time with the details that might get hidden.

I like those renders a lot, they capture the nature of the original refinery very well.
#################
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

These new sprites are great. About the oil weels: We need a ugly ground. I can try to make it.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
neob
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by neob »

btw if someone use the 2.5 blender, the alpha has some very annoying bugs (like the menus going wild)
so you can find the latest compiled builds here: http://www.graphicall.org/builds/ (at least the menus thing is fixed)
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

Zephyris wrote:I don't think the oil wells had been made, so here they are... The ground tiles to use are the plain flat grass tiles from the appropriate climate.

I know the animation is not perfect, ie. no rotary motion on the engine, flywheel etc., but this is impossible with the sprite structure of the 8bpp graphics.
I have coded the pumps. I will make the ground tile in the next days.

I think that tese sprites are finished.
Attachments
Coil_preview.tar
Preview.
(325.5 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
neob
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by neob »

anyone knows how to make this object?
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (25.46 KiB) Viewed 4647 times
and not as 2 parts but as one solid object otherwise some of the textures will break on the side.

maquinista wrote:I have coded the pumps. I will make the ground tile in the next days.
very nice work, btw i just remember 'Zephyris' and 'Antonio1984' do you mind statung your license for your works, so we dont forget/have problems latter on.
Last edited by neob on 05 Mar 2010 21:12, edited 2 times in total.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Any license you want; Creative Commons (any variant) or GPL are fine.
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

tsjook
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by tsjook »

neob wrote:anyone knows how to make this object?
Untitled.jpg
and not as 2 parts but as one solid object otherwise some of the textures will break on the side.
Start with a curve. Double it, join them and use f to make a face between them. You might first need to convert them to 3D though. Then simply extrude the straight sides from both end points and, again, make faces between them.
neob
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by neob »

GeekToo wrote:And Antonio's statement is here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=858442#p858442
ok, so GPLv2 list is:
  • Antonio1984
  • Ben_Robbins_
  • GeekToo
  • maquinista
  • Mor(Neob)
  • Varivar
anyone else i am not tracking it so i might missed some.
Zephyris wrote:Any license you want; Creative Commons (any variant) or GPL are fine.
GPLv2 for the works you release here is ok?
neob
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by neob »

tsjook wrote:Start with a curve. Double it, join them and use f to make a face between them. You might first need to convert them to 3D though. Then simply extrude the straight sides from both end points and, again, make faces between them.
foresight is a great thing :) ill try that next time but sometimes you already have an object and dont want in the process of final touches want to make some adjustments
so i was hopping to learn somehow edit my current obj without making a mess leaving with pointless vertices, best i could think of was using subdvide, knife or Ctrl+R and and prodding around

the object i was speaking about is on the platform:
30.png
30.png (158.63 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

neob wrote:
GeekToo wrote:And Antonio's statement is here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=858442#p858442
ok, so GPLv2 list is:
  • Antonio1984
  • Ben_Robbins_
  • GeekToo
  • maquinista
  • Mor(Neob)
  • Varivar
anyone else i am not tracking it so i might missed some.
GT1750
LordAzamath
ArmEagle
Antonio1984
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Antonio1984 »

Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

neob wrote:
Zephyris wrote:Any license you want; Creative Commons (any variant) or GPL are fine.
GPLv2 for the works you release here is ok?
Yup, thats fine.

BTW you have some z fighting happening on one of the cuboids on the roof of that pipe building...

*edit* and Antonio1984, looks good, but you could use a bit of an overhang on the edge of the roof.
sweetdude
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sweetdude »

maquinista wrote:
Zephyris wrote:I don't think the oil wells had been made, so here they are... The ground tiles to use are the plain flat grass tiles from the appropriate climate.

I know the animation is not perfect, ie. no rotary motion on the engine, flywheel etc., but this is impossible with the sprite structure of the 8bpp graphics.
I have coded the pumps. I will make the ground tile in the next days.

I think that tese sprites are finished.
The oil wells look great in game. Unfortunatly they only work for the temperate climate and are the old sprites shown in the arctic and tropics.
Antonio1984
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Antonio1984 »

do you mean something like this?
Antonio1984
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Antonio1984 »

One question...to replace the sprites 2108 and 2109 (the house in the farm), can I design 2 distinct buildings in 2 distinct sprites?
Because I see that in the original there is one building that crosses 2 sprites...
Xand
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Xand »

Maquinista: The color of the bridges are a lot better. The orginal ones were too dark.
Zephyris: The Oil wells look amazing!
Neob: The huge Oil drums and the exhaust pipes are excellent, and I would love to see them ingame.
Antonio1984: Nicely done with the hay shed. It fits the grain silos perfectly.

Enough with the complements :wink: , now it is time for constructive criticisms:

Antonio1984, the animal shed is way too clean. On a farm these sheds are dirty from the inside and outside. In the orginal sprites can you see the dirt on the walls. Also you could add something like this:
Old_wall_with_bricks.jpg
For the pigs pen. It looks too cleancut, meaning the design. I suggest you make the wall more like this:
clean01.jpg
clean01.jpg (105.49 KiB) Viewed 4509 times
For the roof, you can use hay:
Stro-dak.jpg
Stro-dak.jpg (69.03 KiB) Viewed 811 times
Xand
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Xand »

Also the feeding bin is too cleancut, you could think of something like this:
Goat in Feed Bin, 7-18.JPG
Goat in Feed Bin, 7-18.JPG (111.79 KiB) Viewed 4505 times
Antonio1984
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Antonio1984 »

Yes Xand...you're right...I agree with you about the wall and the feeding...intead I have some doubts about the hay roof..however thanks for the advices, as soon as possible I'll try to follow your suggestions...

Return to “Graphics Development”