End of the official Mac OS X port

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Hai
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Future of the Mac OS X port

Post by Hai »

neob wrote:
Hai wrote:ran make again then make bundle, and it compiled without problem. Installed the opengfx and opensfx files and everything works great.
can you upload it plz? i recall more than a few ppl requesting it.
I think I've managed to do it.

I've created a distributable disk image with a OpenTTD r19024 compiled for Mac OSX 10.5+ with all the graphics and sound and 32bpp graphics and extra zoom patch.

I've tried installing it on another Mac and it worked, will try it on my wife's Macbook when I get home from work as previous builds didn't work on her machine. With a bit of luck, it will work.

Its 160MB disk image so I'm haven't figured how to make it publicly available.

--Update
So far its worked on all Intel Macs running Snow Leopard, however it crashed on launch on my Core2 Quad running Leopard 10.5.7

I didn't compile for universal, so maybe that's the problem, but I though universal would just allow G5 and PowerPC Macs run the game. I'll try with universal enabled and see if it will work on Leopard.
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

This is relevant to my interests. Running 10.6.2 on both machines here, so should be no problem.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
fredgiblet
Engineer
Engineer

Post by fredgiblet »

Hai wrote:Its 160MB disk image so I'm haven't figured how to make it publicly available.
Make a torrent and post it on a torrent site, or put it up on mediafire/4shared/megaupload/rapidshare.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

160 MiB is way way too big for a Mac OS X binary, unless stupid things are being done. Even an ultrafat (PPC970, G5, PPC64, x86, x86_64) binary was less than 15 MiB.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Rubidium wrote:160 MiB is way way too big for a Mac OS X binary, unless stupid things are being done. Even an ultrafat (PPC970, G5, PPC64, x86, x86_64) binary was less than 15 MiB.
Nah, it's not only the (universal?) binary, but a "full" install, including OpenGFX, OpenSFX, NoMusic(?) and ALL 32bpp and extra zoom levels or something like that which will increase the bandwidth nicely for small updates of single components.
Hai wrote:I've created a distributable disk image with a OpenTTD r19024 compiled for Mac OSX 10.5+ with all the graphics and sound and 32bpp graphics and extra zoom patch.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Sounds like a better solution would be to accompany each component with version info both in the local files and on the server that provides the files so that a shell script for Mac can be written that grabs the last components whenever there is an update rather than pushing 160 MB each time.

Basic fetching of last version online and checking local version from a shell script should be fairly easy as long as there is wget/curl on Mac (or can be obtained) and there is a flag that prints (among other things) the OpenTTD version to the terminal. (On Linux there is such a flag but not on Windows which has a "user friendly" window which is hard to read from scripts)

On Linux such a script for the nightlies (single component) is about 2-3 rows without error checking and printing of user friendly error messages. My guess is that it should be fairly easy on Mac as well. (but you would need to have moderate to good computer knowledge and/or study the help pages of wget/curl, grep and sed)
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
alvin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by alvin »

(...)
Last edited by alvin on 08 Apr 2010 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
mohuddle
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mohuddle »

alvin wrote:
neob wrote:can you upload it plz? i recall more than a few ppl requesting it.
I made some Mac OS X binaries.
If you need one visit
http://wolkentempel.de/openttd.html
If there is a problem please let me know.
I downloaded to my trusty old dual core mac mini. So far so good. Thanks for making this available.

edit: where is allow multiple grf settings?
fametown
Engineer
Engineer

Post by fametown »

Works fine in MacOs Snow Leopard 10.6.2 !!! Thanks !!!
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

mohuddle wrote:edit: where is allow multiple grf settings?
Advanced settings.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Absolutis
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Absolutis »

alvin wrote:
neob wrote:can you upload it plz? i recall more than a few ppl requesting it.
I made some Mac OS X binaries.
If you need one visit
http://wolkentempel.de/openttd.html
If there is a problem please let me know.
This problem.
With ppc (1,25 GHz G4) and 512 Mb Ram.
I tried to start it again, but result was same. This.

Code: Select all

Process:         openttd [360]
Path:            /Applications/openttd/OpenTTD.app/Contents/MacOS/openttd
Identifier:      org.openttd.openttd
Version:         1.0.0-RC1 (1.0.0-RC1)
Code Type:       PPC (Native)
Parent Process:  launchd [101]

Interval Since Last Report:          85 sec
Crashes Since Last Report:           1
Per-App Interval Since Last Report:  12 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   1

Date/Time:       2010-02-20 08:08:26.890 +0200
OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a)
Report Version:  6
Anonymous UUID:  D6B1D1A9-7905-4F08-B6D7-501EA0A2B2B1

Exception Type:  EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x000000008fe0105c
Crashed Thread:  0

Dyld Error Message:
  Symbol not found: ___udivdi3
  Referenced from: /Applications/openttd/OpenTTD.app/Contents/MacOS/openttd
  Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
ImageImage
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

Absolutis wrote:

OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a)

Dyld Error Message:
  Symbol not found: ___udivdi3
  Referenced from: /Applications/openttd/OpenTTD.app/Contents/MacOS/openttd
  Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
It looks like it's trying to find ___udivdi3 in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib. You do have libSystem.B.dylib at that location but the content isn't the same for all versions of OSX. Apple adds new stuff with each version and removes some old stuff. This means whenever there is a problem with missing stuff in libSystem.B.dylib then it will most likely be corrected by telling the compiler which OS version to target.

http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/ ... n2137.html
This technote is about building universal binaries. However it also contains information about how to use SDKs to target a specific OS version. Replace /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk with whatever SDK you want to use. Naturally this only works if you installed the SDKs when you installed Xcode. One word of warning though. It seems easy enough to start with, but then you realise that it links to say libpng and that one might have to be recompiled to match the CPU type and version of OSX. All of a sudden it could end up being a whole lot of work depending on the number of 3rd party libraries you use.

This problem is only an issue for people who compiles on one computer and then executes the binary on another computer running a different version of OSX. If you compile for yourself the compiler will figure out how to match your own system.
Reuben
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Reuben »

OH gay balls. I bloody love OTTD. No matter how long i spend away doing other things, i always come back to the ever addictive little game that could.

Normally i'd shrug this off and start using the PC version, but my barely 2yr old PC has shat itself, i have no money to fix it, and have fallen back on the SEVEN year old G5 that just refuses to die... And then i read that intels and snow leopard are causing most the fuss, salt in the bloody wound, as i hate both!!

Ah well, i hope you guy's sort this out, it's always a shame to drop support for a platform :(
-Reuben
RubTheRob
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RubTheRob »

Hey guys.
My friend told me OpenTTD was avaliable on mac so I came here to get it and then saw this first and seconds post in this thread.
Tbh I cba to read all 12 pages right now to check if what im going to say was already said (I'm quite sure it was).
But still... I just tried to run ottd win version on mac via CrossOver Games and it works just fine for me.
Im on new imac 27" with snow leopard.

hope it helps someone if the goal is just to play it without caring if it is native or not.
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

im not an expert, but i believe only some people have problems and not everybody
please kill me if im wrong though... :lol:
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
Oliver_Sanders
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Oliver_Sanders »

I can't help but wander why the OSX build was stopped I certainly had no problems with any OSX build EVER. Although the OSX build was not being maintained it still worked fine for everyone that I know of.

PS// All of the versions I have installed on my computer stretching back to 0.6.2 run beautifully on Snow Leopard

Anyway if there's anything OSX users can do financially to help the cause just shout
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Olliver_Sanders wrote: I can't help but wander why the OSX build was stopped I certainly had no problems with any OSX build EVER. Although the OSX build was not being maintained it still worked fine for everyone that I know of.
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 47&start=0

You can help if you can fix bugs or can convince someone who can to do so.
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
austerus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by austerus »

I hope someone will make a Snow Leopard distribution available soon :((

In the meantime ... I'm stuck with 0.7.5
Wintersoldier
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Wintersoldier »