Complete Sets

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Re: Complete Sets

Post by eis_os »

GRF Crawler Discussion Thread

GRFCrawler has no versions, because GRF Authors won't change these info reliable. I really had to force some people to make an entry after all.

- Each GRF has a specific GRFID, so it will result in an entry.
- GRFCrawler was open for all, but people started to fight about entries => only the grfauthor owns the entry.
- GRF Authors want to host their own, no way to upload them on GRFCrawler => md5sum versions history wasn't introduced
- GRF Crawler Download links should point to a easy to spot download location => not all Authors made the entries (GRFCrawler even has entries from people that aren't visiting the TTD scene any more since ages)
neob
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by neob »

GREAT IDEA, WINK WINK a CLUE.

eis_os wrote:GRFCrawler has no versions, because GRF Authors won't change these info reliable. I really had to force some people to make an entry after all.

- Each GRF has a specific GRFID, so it will result in an entry.
- GRFCrawler was open for all, but people started to fight about entries => only the grfauthor owns the entry.
- GRF Authors want to host their own, no way to upload them on GRFCrawler => md5sum versions history wasn't introduced
- GRF Crawler Download links should point to a easy to spot download location => not all Authors made the entries (GRFCrawler even has entries from people that aren't visiting the TTD scene any more since ages)
there is no need for versions, there is a replace GRF feature that links and old GRF ID to the new one GRF ID, so with some magic it should be possible to filter all the old versions.
'only the grfauthor owns the entry.' - isnt its the same users from tt-forums.net, how about a flag option for out of date data, that will send an alert to the Authors.

but thanks god for GRF Crawler Discussion Thread

andythenorth wrote:Ok, so normally I stay out of this kind of 'you said, I said' discussion on forums. It's kind of boring and doesn't lead to any cool stuff getting done. It will just turn into a sad flame war, and no-one will be happy :(

However I can't let this pass:
neob wrote:so speaking of respect, you get what you give.
neob: in several places, people have asked you questions or provided feedback. Some have been nice, some less nice. Some have been perfectly reasonable. Several times you have responded by accusing multiple people of not reading the thread. I am certain that they have read the thread. Your response implies that you think those people are either (i) lazy or (ii) stupid. That is not respectful.

In case you are concerned about the standard of your English (and you have mentioned that), it is not a problem. I can read what you write. What I didn't understand for several pages was (i) your aim with this project (ii) your style of responding to feedback.
well since you decided to go for 'you said, I said', after all, than after i finished gather data and decided to make the list on page 3
i stated that "my problem with GRFCrawler is not what missing there but with too many things there."

now what feedback request? you mean the offtopic request that based on the assumption that there is not point in that list i am making?
still i later responded to it "i thought it was self explanatory from the privious posts, more filter options."

which was ignored and was suggested to make it a personal list since i am not the right person for the job.
which followed by another "another list" post trolling
and then repeated comments by ppl that are presumably ignorant of what is entry level data for basic user is, as opposed to advanced users.

which was finally concluded that there might be something about a filter, from that person with the irritating comments...

now play your what its implies game from my point of view.
p.s. if you want to look how works suggestions and discussion look at 'foobar' on this thread in comparison to the 'another list flock'.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

neob wrote:GREAT IDEA, WINK WINK a CLUE.
Don't know if you realize it, but you're talking to the bloke who conceived GRFCrawler in the first place...
neob
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by neob »

yeah that obvious :) the gentle clue was for all those that hope to continue the discussion on the GrfCrawler here instead to the specified thread by him.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

You have a serious attitude problem. Get it sorted and grow up. No excuses.

Consider this an informal warning, because your next formal one will result in a two week ban.
neob
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by neob »

anyway i updated the list, as usual any thought on the topic.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

If you want to continue this, I think it's wise to put each category onto a seperate page. If you fill this up with all categories on one page, the page will get awfully long and IMO therefore unusable.

Futhermore, the separator between sets is hardly visible. A light grey line (like the border) between them would help.

And while you're at it: don't underline things that aren't a link; very confusing!

Good luck completing the list! :D
neob
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by neob »

1. i wasnt planing not to fill it up, i was thinking about an entry level list for new users (since advanced users just dont need it)
borrow from my personal experience when i recently came back i was overwhelmed by all available NewGRF's mostly without proper description

so i was planing on a compact list with few of the more fun NewGRF's in each category and good description to allow a user to familiarize himself with some basic, after that i am quite sure they will know how to find additional content on its own, i also point link/explain about bannans/grfcrawler for that purpose.

that why i choose the http://wiki.openttd.org/NewGRF_Sets
there is still http://wiki.openttd.org/NewGRF_List which prefered not to touch because of the feedback i got on it on an other discussion.

besides, compact list = easier to maintain.

2. separator will be added.
3. underlining will be gone.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

I really should've read the description at the top of the wiki page... :oops:
Anyways, the B at the beginning of the second sentence is not capitalized. Or rather was not capitalized, as I mended it a few seconds ago.
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Good job so far. You're still missing a lot of GRFs, especially in the vehicles category (i.e. NARS, UKRS, Japan trainset, CSD trainset, HEQS, FISH...)
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Voyager1 wrote:You're still missing a lot of GRFs....HEQS, FISH
FISH is unfinished, not sure you'd want to include it :o
HEQS isn't a complete set - couldn't be used on it's own - no passenger vehicles. Also, it's unfinished :)
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

I didn't mean "sets". As far as I understood, he's putting all NewGRFs in the list. And to exclude FISH and HEQS would be a great shame, finished or not! :D
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

Voyager1 wrote:I didn't mean "sets". As far as I understood, he's putting all NewGRFs in the list.
I think the title of this topic is a big clue.....
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Badger wrote: I think the title of this topic is a big clue.....
Just show me a complete set. Or, at least, define "complete". :mrgreen:

regards
Michael
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

My thoughts entirely.
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
neob
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by neob »

i can also argue that the complete refers to the state of the set and not to the NewGRf state
and thous the unclear part is a complete set of what? i can argue other things as well

but as far as to what we got, the discuses wiki set definition is at the top of its page.
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

Surely a set is never complete, unless you have created every type of train available in that country/region?
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

michael blunck wrote:
Badger wrote: I think the title of this topic is a big clue.....
Smartass, that's twice in 2 days now!
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Come on, don't start another argument! :D
I really understood Neob that he'd place all major GRFs (not sets!) inside. That's why disagreed with him in the first place. :roll:
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

As an OP who has lost track of his thread, just wanted to chip in that what I meant by complete was that there were enough vehicles between at least 1950-2050 (or starting later if maglev/monorail) to have a decent choice of vehicles throughout. This means, with trains for example, you can have a couple of heavy freight trains of verious types and a high speed passenger train to last you the 1990's. The one exception is where the set is designed to be played in a specific time period - such as Early Road Vehicles. Here the set has to sufficiently cover its own time period.

Return to “Graphics Development”