Staircase locks?

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

PaulC
Director
Director

Staircase locks?

Post by PaulC »

Just a random thought I had. How feasible would it be to create staircase locks by building two overlapping locks, with the obvious advantage of building canals up steeper slopes, i.e.
Staircase locks.png
Staircase locks.png (5.92 KiB) Viewed 5493 times
Apologies if this idea has been suggested before, and feel free to shoot it down in flames. :mrgreen:
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Staircase locks?

Post by JGR »

Well, I can say with some confidence that it is unlikely that this will be implemented...

On a realism note, most ships in TTD are more than one tile long, and one would expect a certain degree of separation such that the ships can move up and down independently (ie. in adjacent locks) without overlapping, which would look nasty (visually speaking).

In general real-life canals try to avoid unnecessarily climbing steep slopes. Aqueducts, cuttings and winding paths to follow contour lines are common...

Also, this would require some not insignificant rejigging of the canal lock code, which requires effort and developer time, neither of which are in great abundance right now, sadly.

Thanks for the suggestion though...
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

JGR wrote:On a realism note, most ships in TTD are more than one tile long, and one would expect a certain degree of separation such that the ships can move up and down independently (ie. in adjacent locks) without overlapping, which would look nasty (visually speaking).
Overlapping ships are hardly something new. You can already have ships pass through each other within a lock, so I don't see any problem in this regard...
JGR wrote:In general real-life canals try to avoid unnecessarily climbing steep slopes. Aqueducts, cuttings and winding paths to follow contour lines are common...
As for real life, it would be nice to have an in-game equivalent of this, for example.
JGR wrote:Thanks for the suggestion though...
No worries, thanks for the reply! 8)
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

PaulC wrote: As for real life, it would be nice to have an in-game equivalent of this, for example.
That´s exactly the way it is in TTDPatch: having multiple locks in a row instead of one single shiplift for a larger amount.

regards
Michael
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

michael blunck wrote:That´s exactly the way it is in TTDPatch: having multiple locks in a row instead of one single shiplift for a larger amount
So far as I understand the difference (and how it translates into the game), what you describe would be better descibed as a lock flight rather than a lock staircase. :wink:

Return to “Suggestions”