New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread (Works In Progress)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Grolsch
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread

Post by Grolsch »

maquinista wrote:It's a very good model! I have made a preview screenshot with GIMP.
If I see this mockup, I think the people in the crowd should be larger (that also means less people in the crowd). If you compare it to a window in a house next to it, a window can be compared to a human, or maybe half a human. However in the crowd the people are so small there could be 20 people in one window. I know scaling in OpenTTD is far from realistic, but imho this is a bit overdone ;)
Beer equals power
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

I see no reason why the stadium has to be that big. Keep in mind that very few towns grow bigger than 10,000 people. A capacity of perhaps 1,000-2,000 people should be more than enough. It looks pretty ridicolous with a giant statium in a town with a population of 500. Note that this is the case in the original game as well.

Anyway, nice graphics. :D
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

Took this screen shot quite some time ago, so things may have changed, but not only can they appear in a town/village with a population of 500, but they do almost all the time. I think regardless of people opinions on reality and keeping things in scale, the stadiums are a bit more extreme than other building examples visually, and there place within the settlements.
Ben
tsjook
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by tsjook »

Ben_Robbins_ wrote:Took this screen shot quite some time ago, so things may have changed, but not only can they appear in a town/village with a population of 500, but they do almost all the time. I think regardless of people opinions on reality and keeping things in scale, the stadiums are a bit more extreme than other building examples visually, and there place within the settlements.
Yeah, they're built way too often.

A solution would be to throw the notion of a stadium away and turn it into a community playing field (just a field with two goals, or a field with some concrete and a basketball ring, etc. etc.) or even into a large park with some trees, some paths and a pond.
ArmEagle
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ArmEagle »

tsjook wrote:
Ben_Robbins_ wrote:Took this screen shot quite some time ago, so things may have changed, but not only can they appear in a town/village with a population of 500, but they do almost all the time. I think regardless of people opinions on reality and keeping things in scale, the stadiums are a bit more extreme than other building examples visually, and there place within the settlements.
Yeah, they're built way too often.

A solution would be to throw the notion of a stadium away and turn it into a community playing field (just a field with two goals, or a field with some concrete and a basketball ring, etc. etc.) or even into a large park with some trees, some paths and a pond.
Interesting idea. I guess that would require a newgrf anyway. Then one could also make it turn into a stadium when a town reaches a certain size. Maybe it could choose randomly from different types of stadiums (a.football, football, baseball, tennis, ...), or even have different options at different town sizes.
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

My 1000th post, so here's a 1000 or so sprites to play with.

I've done all the stages of the field sprites, with and without lines at all 3 zoom levels.

I'm stating now that all sprites which I have posted here (tt-forum) as a .tar file are GPLv2. Preview images and .rar's, unless I have otherwise stated, are just for previews, and are here to gather opinions, but are not publicly released, and not for cutting up/reassembling. Any files which I post onto Jupix's file repository or the wiki are GPLv2 likewise.

Because of file size restrictions, .rar files have sometimes been used to break up big .tar files (as in this case). Ground-With Lines v4, Ground-Without Lines v2 (and derived files), Ground-Pavement, Road-Lines and Road-Nolines and Faces v2 (They are all in this thread).

This applies to future attachments also.

You'll need 1 of the 2 sets of 4 tar files attached for all the sprites to appear.

Also thanks to Bazil14 for helping with some of the initial tedious renaming of sprites, and Crazy Vaclav for helping with rendering on a considerably faster computer.
Attachments
Image.png
Fields v1 - With Lines - z0 - 1.tar
(3.24 MiB) Downloaded 187 times
Fields v1 - With Lines - z0 - 2.tar
(3.24 MiB) Downloaded 141 times
Last edited by Ben_Robbins_ on 10 Jan 2010 19:37, edited 1 time in total.
Ben
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

Attachments
Fields v1 - With Lines - z0 - 3.tar
(3.24 MiB) Downloaded 125 times
Fields v1 - With Lines - z1-2.tar
(3.52 MiB) Downloaded 137 times
Fields v1 - No Lines - z1-2.tar
(3.93 MiB) Downloaded 131 times
Ben
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

Attachments
Fields v1 - No Lines - z0 - 1.tar
(3.27 MiB) Downloaded 141 times
Fields v1 - No Lines - z0 - 2.tar
(3.27 MiB) Downloaded 135 times
Fields v1 - No Lines - z0 - 3.tar
(3.27 MiB) Downloaded 135 times
Ben
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

Yeah, he's really back! Brilliant, as we're used to from your work
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

Awesome field tiles!

I like it. I can create a pack and upload it to the Jupix repository, and I can add the other tiles without borders to the no lines package. The Alltaken tiles could be released as new GRF.

What do You think about these changes? What tiles do you prefer to leave as main graphics?
Attachments
Example without lines.
Example without lines.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

Bens, with lines :mrgreen:

*lots of clapping*
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

Here are the hedges and fencing that are in the image in my post above. They weren't finished, hence I'm attaching them now I've done them. I've only done 1 hedge and 1 fence, but the hedge replaces all the hedge/wall slots, which made easily testing. I'll update this with additional hedges and the wall later on.
Attachments
Field Borders.tar
(620.5 KiB) Downloaded 217 times
Ben
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

... Stadium ...
The stadium looks great. Can we have a Rugby field version as well??? :)
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
thagamer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thagamer »

The screenshots above would look a LOT better if all of the trees were done.

What is the progress on these?
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

thagamer wrote:The screenshots above would look a LOT better if all of the trees were done.

What is the progress on these?
This is the progress on trees:
http://wiki.openttd.org/Trees_Terrain_% ... raphics%29
I don't know if Varivar will model the last trees. Also, the their trees are great, but They need some shading in the base. This could be done with GIMP, PSP or Adobe Photoshop.

Also, there is some trees in the parks. If someone draws them, I will make the two park tiles.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

Some thoughts about the new field tiles... I know this isn't the case in the original TTD, but wouldn't it look more realistic if all plow lines had the same direction?
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Bad_Brett wrote:wouldn't it look more realistic if all plow lines had the same direction?
Yes and no...
It might look better, but not necessarily more realistic. The reason for that is that on slopes you can only plow along the slope for your field to work properly. If you'd plow in the direction of the slope, water would run down immediately and crops at the top would get very dry indeed. Hence the different directions.

Mind you, that in real life, fields usually have just one slope (or none at all) and the direction of flat fields would depend on the bits with a slope in it. But that's something OpenTTD cannot do.
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

FooBar wrote:If you'd plow in the direction of the slope, water would run down immediately and crops at the top would get very dry indeed. Hence the different directions.
Honestly I've never seen this in my entire life. Where I come from it always look like this:

Take a look at the field to the left. As you can see, all plow lines are in the direction of the slope. And there are two reasons why you do it this way:

1) You do not want the water to stay in the grooves. Look at the landscape in the picture. Imagine that there's a heavy rainfall. Water would flow down from the mountains and literally drown the crops. I would say that too much rain is a bigger problem than too little rain, at least in temperate zones.

2) If you drive a tractor across a steep slope it would instantly turn over.
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

Funnily enough, I would say the opposite. It's less realistic for a rolling landscape (which is really what it is regardless of the 1:5 steepness), but I think it looks better and hence I chose it. Realism just doesn't come into it here though. It's about being able to clearly see the shape of the land, and having increased variation on the shades for the different slopes. This in tern breaks the tiling and therefore takes away any advantage of fix direction crop layout. It also retains a key part of the original field sprite graphics, which I like, and is very much part of what makes it what it is.

If furrows go with the slope or adjacent is irrelevant, since if they all go in 1 direction, then they will be with some slopes and adjacent to others.

If you want all the furrows in 1 direction then Alltakens graphics do just that. Alternatively you can try redoing almost all the field sprites, but I'm warning you, there is a lot of work..and I mean a lot...weeks, since your basically going back to step 1 of hundreds. There's no way I'm touching another ground sprite for a long time, so it's over to you on this one.
Ben
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

Ben_Robbins_ wrote:Funnily enough, I would say the opposite. It's less realistic for a rolling landscape (which is really what it is regardless of the 1:5 steepness), but I think it looks better and hence I chose it. Realism just doesn't come into it here though. It's about being able to clearly see the shape of the land, and having increased variation on the shades for the different slopes. This in tern breaks the tiling and therefore takes away any advantage of fix direction crop layout. It also retains a key part of the original field sprite graphics, which I like, and is very much part of what makes it what it is.

If furrows go with the slope or adjacent is irrelevant, since if they all go in 1 direction, then they will be with some slopes and adjacent to others.

If you want all the furrows in 1 direction then Alltakens graphics do just that. Alternatively you can try redoing almost all the field sprites, but I'm warning you, there is a lot of work..and I mean a lot...weeks, since your basically going back to step 1 of hundreds. There's no way I'm touching another ground sprite for a long time, so it's over to you on this one.
I agree with you after your explanation. Playability should always be the number one priority.

I'm not going to change any tiles... But I will do new ones for my desert tileset and I really can't say that I'm looking forward to it. :) I may draw them in the same direction there though, since I on the other hand try to remove the squareness...

Well anyway Ben. The really look fantastic. :)

Return to “Graphics Development”