German road vehicle set [WIP, first version released]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Nagyzee
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: German road vehicle set [WIP, first version released]

Post by Nagyzee »

First error report incoming.:)

The test file runs great and everything until I try to change the new graphics status in game. Once I push the Apply button (no matter what I changed) the German RV set greys out and stops working with the following message:

File "newgrf\germanrvw.grf" has invalid sprite #42 (code 21/9).

Once that happens it refuses to work in any game until I close TTDP and start it again. I use the latest nightly (r2236).
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

They're doing something wrong with GRM. I'm not sure what, as I've never had troubles with GRM, but that's what the error says.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Uwe
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Uwe »

Thanks for reporting the bug, it seems I had a stupid typo in the line that reserves all the vehicle IDs. I have just uploaded an updated version (check the file date), it should work now.
SpComb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SpComb »

I encountered an error about "HOVS UK Bus Set is incompatible" after trying to load the German Road Vehicle set v0.21 into a new OpenTTD game as the sole NewGRF. After a bit of debugging, it seems like I found a bug in the NFO using an Action7 as related to dynamicengines - if the flag is clear, it skips right to the ActionB.

Patch that fixes it for me attached, dunno if it's the right fix. It modifies the num-sprites value of the Action7 for dynamicengines to 1, to skip the GRF parameter check.
Attachments
germanrv-v021-dynamicengines-check.patch
(482 Bytes) Downloaded 242 times
Uwe
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Uwe »

We have just discussed exactly that problem on the German forum. I just uploaded a hopefully fixed version about ten minutes ago. As you already stated there was a problem with the action 07, it skipped one too many sprites.
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

Hello!
I'd like to ask something:
Why are parts of the articulated buses are close together? The wrist isn't visible, and looks like the bus is in one piece.
As an example the Ikarus 280:
In the game:
On a picture from your website:
But almost all of the other articulated buses are the same.
Uwe
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Uwe »

Thanks for pointing that out. It should look like the screenshots on the homepage, but I just reproduced your picture on my machine, so somewhere something must have changed concerning sprite positioning (the screenshot is rather old). I'll definitely take a closer look and fix that.
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

Okay, thanks!
But please look at the other articulated buses too.
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

Hello!
I just noticed another glitch in the set:
The wagons of the CarGo tram is lower when heading to up right.
Attachments
bug.PNG
bug.PNG (8.61 KiB) Viewed 5930 times
Uwe
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Uwe »

I finally fixed the sprite position issues of the articulated buses and the cargo tram. A new version can be downloaded from the set homepage. Please check it out and tell me if you encounter any other problems.
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

Is it possible to make German Road Vehicle set combatibile with HEQS ?
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Kogut wrote:Is it possible to make German Road Vehicle set combatibile with HEQS ?
Probably. In what way(s) is it incompatible? (post screenshots if it's easier to explain with pictures)

cheers,

Andy
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

There it is:
hiba5.PNG
hiba5.PNG (18.85 KiB) Viewed 5691 times
This error only appear with the newest version of HEQS.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

colossal404 wrote:There it is:
hiba5.PNG
This error only appear with the newest version of HEQS.
Not sure what's causing that. There's no compatibility code in HEQS.

Where is the public code repository for German RV set? If I can see what checks are being made, I can help more....

cheers,

Andy
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

andythenorth wrote: Where is the public code repository for German RV set? If I can see what checks are being made, I can help more....
IIRC there is no public repo. Also IIRC there is at least in the newer versions some compatibility check within the GermanRV set which disables it in the presence of most other vehicle NewGRF - unless a certain parameter to enable compatibility mode is set.

I'm waiting for a reply along the lines "please look it up properly" - possibly it's all well documented in the readme of the GermanRV.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

If you go to the first page of this thread, you will find a link to the website here where it says "The German Road Vehicle Set is (as the name implies) a vehicle set for Transport Tycoon Deluxe." Knowing the nature of TTDX, Uwe may very well have included something in the code to prevent conflicts with other road sets.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

wallyweb wrote: If you go to the first page of this thread, you will find a link to the website here where it says "The German Road Vehicle Set is (as the name implies) a vehicle set for Transport Tycoon Deluxe." Knowing the nature of TTDX, Uwe may very well have included something in the code to prevent conflicts with other road sets.
I know I shouldn´t disclose that secret, but there´s not only a link, a web site, a zip file, but inside ... now fasten your seat belts ...
German RV Set DoNotReadMe wrote: Compatibility with other sets

The set has been developed to be a complete standalone replacement for all road vehicles in the game. Therefore it cannot be combined with any other road vehicle set. If any other road vehicle set is active, GermanRV will disable itself and give an appropriate warning.

In OpenTTD, one can enable the so-called engine pool, a feature that increases the number of slots available for vehicles. Technically, this allows the combination of GermanRV with other sets, BUT this will most likely lead to wrong cost multipliers being used. Therefore, this option has to be enabled manually by setting a parameter. So if you really want to play with GermanRV together with some other road vehicle set, setting "1" (without quotes) as parameter will override any checks for incompatible sets. Don't say we didn't warn you!
Oh well, I did it! - :?

regards
Michael
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

@Uwe: I briefly looked at the NFO of the grf (v0.22). Concerning base costs, it seems you only define the base purchase costs for the RV and the running costs for them. As of r18268 the vehicle-specific base costs are specific to that newgrf itself only (if they define vehicles which are affected by those base costs). So you might actually reconsider the need for your "compatibility checks" as they might have become mute: the base costs you use are not influenced by other concurrently activated road vehicle sets anymore.
Uwe
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Uwe »

@planetmaker: Thanks for that info, I'll check that once I find the time to do so. The compatibility check itself will still be necessary for TTDPatch anyhow, but perhaps I can change it for OTTD.

Return to “Graphics Development”