OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - OpenGFX

Post by Zuu »

Update

Changed line in the nfo file:

Code: Select all

4742 sprites/ogfx1_base.pcx 674 21000 09 78 26 -22 -53
Stages:
fizzy stages2.png
fizzy stages2.png (4.72 KiB) Viewed 5987 times
There is a small overlap of sprite 4742 onto 4741, but I can not see any glitches caused by this. On the other hand it does not resolve all the glitches with the tap, due to drawing order. Because of the drawing order issues I have not extended sprite 4742 more than will add any gain visually.

I can remove this extension if it is not wanted.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Wow, good job! That looks pretty amazing :-)
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

Hmm, how should I put it.. I think it's too comic-ish. I know it's for toyland and all, but it also has to fit the other toyland sprites, which it imo currently does not yet do.

With comic-ish, I mean that you have very distinctive borders. Like a comic, where the outline is drawn very distinctively (usually black), and then the areas are filled more or less uniformly.

I think you should apply some randomization in the areas (especially the very uniform shading of the tower looks.. strange), to overcome this effect, and leave out the borders.
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Roujin wrote:Hmm, how should I put it.. I think it's too comic-ish. I know it's for toyland and all, but it also has to fit the other toyland sprites, which it imo currently does not yet do.

With comic-ish, I mean that you have very distinctive borders. Like a comic, where the outline is drawn very distinctively (usually black), and then the areas are filled more or less uniformly.

I think you should apply some randomization in the areas (especially the very uniform shading of the tower looks.. strange), to overcome this effect, and leave out the borders.
Hmm, I'll try tomorrow or another day without the borders. The white line at the top however is intended, but could probably be darken a bit. But the others should probably be removed I'll see what I can do about randomization.

Edit: Thank you both for your positive feedback.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

I just put it into my local copy of opengfx and it looks quite nice. While it may on second look indeed be argued that the other sprites in OpenGFX toyland look more "realistical" or less comic-like, I wouldn't go too far into that direction. A toy-ish style fits toyland quite well IMO:
fizzy drink factory
fizzy drink factory
Anderburg Transport, 01-01-1983.png (171.95 KiB) Viewed 5955 times
I attached a small diff which will use Zuu's v2 of this as graphics input file, if renamed to fizzydrink_factory.pcx and put into the pcx dir of opengfx. Maybe that makes testing and experimenting easier :-)
Attachments
fizzydrink.diff
diff for easy adding of the fizzydrink factory.
(1.09 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
cmoiromain
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by cmoiromain »

It does look quite nice, but as Roujin said, it's too comic style. The cans aren't round enough, and I think you should work on that (although I am well aware there aren't many colours available for that), and add some random noise to the building.

Also, the tap looks more like a weird tongue sticking out than a tap in my opinion, so maybe you can have another go at this one.

Keep up the good work, the idea for this factory is really worth the effort ;)
I am little, ugly, and nasty. How do you do?
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Well I just think the tanks should be more round. It's not really hard, if you look at this
shading.png
shading.png (15.45 KiB) Viewed 5935 times
1. Draw a rectangle and fill it with the gradient tool
2. Make it look like a tube (just cut the half-oval from top and paste it down)
3. Then I used HSV noise, default values quite a few times
4. And last one is copy -> paste as new -> make the pic indexed with the second Floyd-Steinberg pseudocolouring.
EDIT: On another glance, I might've overdone with noise and pseudocolouring, but play around with it. If I put enough noise, I usually don't need pseudocolouring at all, maybe that's why it looks strange atm.
Like this one is with more noise and no pseudocolouring. Maybe the perfect one would indeed be without pseudocolouring and a bit less noise than this.
shading.png
shading.png (18.76 KiB) Viewed 5934 times
As for the size of the oval you want to cut & copy, make an oval inside one ttd tile like and that's exactly the right size for it if you want it one tile sized
oval.png
oval.png (895 Bytes) Viewed 5935 times
EDIT: And btw, I dont think that you don't know most of the stuff. Wrote it down here just so everyone else would benefit as well.
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Damn, who got me into the drawing mood??

Anyway, I noticed that the iglu is still missing from toyland, so here you go :P
I have no idea how to produce the wrapper construction stages, so someone else could do that, thanks.
Attachments
iglu.png
iglu.png (5.1 KiB) Viewed 5906 times
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
mrMann
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mrMann »

Looks good to me, I wonder what the experts will say xD
Hmm, what should I put here...
tsjook
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by tsjook »

I'm no expert either, but I think it looks very nice!

Never knew toyland had snow. Or is it named sugar rain or something? :wink:
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

It doesn't have snow, just the iglu.. Wonder why...
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

The iglu looks nice IMO. But should it have a snowy ground tile? Maybe it shouldn't have a square snow surroundings (like now, the whole tile) but rather a bit scattered with increasing transparency to the tile's edges?
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Well you really don't find iglus in places where snow has started melting, so I don't know..
tsjook
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by tsjook »

... and in the original version the snow is covering the whole tile too...
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

The way the original looks is of no importance. This is a new base set and we need not take the way the original looks into account IMO. We don't want (and must not be) a plain, dump copy.
Well you really don't find iglus in places where snow has started melting, so I don't know..
Well... you don't find wrapped houses and teapot-shaped houses in reality either.
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Point taken, although I HAVE seen matryoshka shaped booth (which sold matryoshkas) in Russia :P
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Thanks for all the feedback. Also special thanks to Lord for the tips he posted.

I have reworked the cans so that they look less even. Or maybe more even, as there is no sharp transitions anymore. I have not made the broken state yet for the construction part. The tap on the other hand have been remade to look more like a bathroom tap.
fizzy drinks3.png
fizzy drinks3.png (22.21 KiB) Viewed 5822 times
stages3.png
stages3.png (7.27 KiB) Viewed 5822 times

Todo: Add the broken stage or use the bottom part of the can for some other detail.
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

nice, but I would say that needs more variation, you can still clearly see the lines of different shades, maybe try use the shading LordAzamath made a few posts up.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

lawton27 wrote:nice, but I would say that needs more variation, you can still clearly see the lines of different shades, maybe try use the shading LordAzamath made a few posts up.
When I tried to apply more noise, they would look more like concrete than some metal cans. It might be possible to put some more thinking into the pattern used to get it better, but that would take quite some time to accomplish. Not to mention the problem of having to re-do all the action colors yet another time.

Edit: A problem I had with the noise-approach is that it decided to chose colors that ended up to be transparent in OpenTTD, so I had to make color-replacements of all the colors it used. Despite that I did a conversion to the ttd-noaction-nocomp palette and then back to ttd-newgrf-win palette in Gimp. But then I might be missing something. I'm not really used to do palette-based graphics.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

I don't think that a perfect transition from bright to dark is needed nor actually desirable. The slight edges at the big can can be by design, can't they be?

Return to “Graphics Development”