OTTD - XNA?

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Dreedo
Engineer
Engineer

OTTD - XNA?

Post by Dreedo »

Hi, i was wondering, seeing as XNA is growing massively popular with the Xbox 360 community, i wondered if its possible that OTTD would ever make its way to XNA, im not sure how the legal side of things would go, as XNA currently doesn't support free games, only 80, 240 and 400 microsoft points or so, and i dont think the license permits selling the game.

So is anyone working/toying with the idea of porting ottd or working on a similar game for the xbox 360.

Unfortunatly as the ottd source doesnt appear to be in C# it makes it difficult to use Visual express c# (which is what XNA uses) to create a port of it.

OTTD is already on the DS, PSP, Windows, MAC, Linux, AmigaOS, Palm, Iphone, Ipod Touch, i just thought it needed to be ported onto a platform that can actually run it well (not referring to Win/MAC/Lin). Preferably a format i own as well, i have a windows pc and a DS but i dont posses the illegal hardware in order to run ottd on the DS.

Thanks.

I've seen topics get flamed for asking about ports, but i dont think theres been one mentioning XNA or the Xbox 360 yet.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: OTTD - XNA?

Post by Rubidium »

As you said yourself it would mean making a C# port before being able to make a port for XNA. As of now several people said they were going to attempt making a C# port yet nobody ever shown any (even partly) prototype.

Based on the fact that you basically have to start from scratch it is like starting development of OpenTTD from scratch on. Given that the first version of OpenTTD took a year to materialise, you're looking at about the same timeframe for a minimal OpenTTD (basically only TTD features).

Furthermore none of the current developers have any interest in rewriting it in C#, meaning that you would need to find a group of people that are willing to write it and then catch up with OpenTTD's development. That would, especially because OpenTTD is a moving target, take another large amount of time and in the end it's unlikely that it would be anywhere near compatible with OpenTTD.

The DS/PSP/Palm/iPhone ports are all based on the C++ code with only the code that actually talks with the operating system, which is a considerably smaller amount of code, yet most of those 'small platform' ports are done as hacks and not a way that makes them integrateable with OpenTTD's main sources.
Dreedo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dreedo »

Mmmm i see, so basically it would be like creating a whole new game (apart from the general idea). Oh well, i guess the best bet is to sit and wait to see if anyone is working on a similar game already, it'll end up with a 20 vehicle limit and trucks only, or something like that. Still you never know, maybe a proper software company will pick up the idea, i've seen flash games that have been turned into proper commercial games when they've become popular enough to attract game companies. Its a shame TT is so old now, it could have done with a sequel.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Sequel? Locomotion is basically a sequel. RollerCoaster Tycoon is a sequel, only not including transport..
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Dreedo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dreedo »

Yeah locomotion looks pretty much the same, its just that its got a few downsides, its not free for a start :D, and it only has head to head multiplayer play, which if its anything like ottd, will suck very badly, the problem with ottd (and tt(d)) is that theres no objective to the game, once you've hit 2050 you've seen it all, its a very easy game, you can just buy out the computer companies as soon as its possible, it doesnt have a very high replayability, ottd's multiplayer helped a bit on livening it up, but it's still basically the same thing everytime you play.

I dont quite see how rollercoaster tycoon is a sequel to it, theres been a few tycoon games that took place after TTD.

I think i've found out the answer to my suggestion now, i doubt anyone will work on this, unless i did it myself, which is practically impossible as i have little knowledge of any C.
Xander
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Xander »

<Insert angry, almost fanatical, post about how great TT is and how you have it all wrong>
Real Tycoons do it on Trains!

JAMI: Just Another Moronic Intelligence
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Dreedo wrote:I dont quite see how rollercoaster tycoon is a sequel to it, theres been a few tycoon games that took place after TTD.
Hint: Both TT, TTD, RCT (Roller coaster tycoon) and RCT2 was developed by the same person (Chris Sawyer) who also later developed Locomotion.

RCT3 I do believe was developed by someone else and probably contained far less assembler programming. ;-) (TT, TTD, RCT and even RCT2 was mainly programmed in assembler)

If only money is your challenge, try some NewGRFs that makes things more expansive. Otherwise you might find some challenge in constructing good high-capacity rail networks without getting as wild as #openttdcoop. Or you join #openttdcoop and actually go wild. :-)
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Dreedo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dreedo »

Yeah i might try new strategies, usually i just spam passenger and coal trains, and then build 100 or so aircraft and end up with billions, i used to have 4 friends that played it with me all the time, but they've all gotten bored of it now. Its a bit of a lame game sometimes on singleplayer, the new multiplayer AI does liven things up when i do play a 2 or 3 player network game.

I used to play TTD with my brother on network back in like 1997 lol.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”