OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Ammler
President
President

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - OpenGFX

Post by Ammler »

Now, another Chimera, very nice! (Here is the one from DJNekkid: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=653949#p653949)

We would really like to see more in that direction, most feedback about blaubus engines aren't that nice and he isn't around for feedback/improving. So chances for another Monolev Set are high. ;-)

Just don't forget, Monorail and Maglev share the same waggons (also for freight), so those should fit somehow together.

Greets
Ammler
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

Born Acorn wrote:
maartena wrote:With the expected "don't like it, then do it yourself" response, I must say.... that the maglevs are quite ugly. ;)
I have to agree.

Can I try some ideas for these out? It's been a long time since I last tried anything graphics wise, but I might be able to pull something out of my hat. Perhaps I could come out of retirement even.

The attached is a quick 10 min job recycling some old unused graphics of mine.

Hm, the wagons look a bit as if they were made from stone, imo.
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Maybe not made of stone, but they are just very cold. Or well seem so.
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

While the look is rather utilitarian, that is the look both the Transrapid and JR-1 have gone for. Drab, or "cold", using shades of white or grey, with bands of colour along the window, attempting to mimic the very aircraft they are trying to be a viable competitor to. This clean, sterile look affords a professional corporate appearance for the operating company.

This is why I added the safety yellow. Hopefully it can minimise the impact of such a feeling, especially when next to colourful freight trains, at least.

Now that I have more time, I've attempted to bring this old battered up drawing of mine to the excellent standards demanded by this project. The Safety Yellow ends and company colours have been darkened to be more in line with existing graphics - i.e. - The SH 125, and the company colour band that runs the length of the train has been raised to decrease the amount of white around.

Next up, I studied the original Chimera. This is the inspiration for the primarily white scheme, as well as existing technologies. I removed the windows from the engine, as the Chimera does not have any capacity, that was the Millennium Z1, IIRC.

I am aware that Monorail and Maglev utilise the same graphics for rolling stock, but if this goes ahead, I shall go forth on a mad spree of graphics.
Attachments
chimera.png
chimera.png (4 KiB) Viewed 736 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

... I shall go forth on a mad spree of graphics.
Most excellent, thank you for the support!
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

I started coding PBS signals into ogfxe_extra.pnfo

The standard climate signals are between 1219-1234 (standard) and 1289-1204 (oneway), I coded them there and they seem to appear in the game fine.
The toyland ones should be 1305-1320 (std) and 1321-1336 (oneway) in the file, but when I coded toyland signals into that range and then started toyland game in openttd (0.7.1), normal signals are used. Any clue what is wrong?
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

For ogfx_extra use an Action7 to distinguish between 'normal' and toyland climates.

I don't completely understand the ranges you are talking about to be honest. The range for PBS graphics is 112-175 of type 04 of action 05. See also http://openttd.jaspervries.nl/opengfx/a ... ection=ASC and http://wiki.ttdpatch.net/tiki-index.php?page=Action5.
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

FooBar wrote:For ogfx_extra use an Action7 to distinguish between 'normal' and toyland climates.

I don't completely understand the ranges you are talking about to be honest. The range for PBS graphics is 112-175 of type 04 of action 05. See also http://openttd.jaspervries.nl/opengfx/a ... ection=ASC
But I am trying to edit the base graphics (file sprites/ogfxe_extra.pnfo in hg repository), so I am editing the base GRF, not making a NewGRF .... In that overview, several bloocks of sprites have 0 as starting index (and the numbering is a bit weird, though I think it is renumbered later as part of the build process). So even in base GRF I have to add the climate checks and conditionally skip sprites? I thought that the first 32 PBS signals are simply normal, second 32 of the 64 are toyland.

In the file sprites/ogfxe_extra.pnfo the previous PBS signals (which were referencing file pcx/infra08.pcx, where they were drawn) had these numbers as the first number on the line (I simply replaced the graphics file and sizes/offsets, but I kept the sprite numbers intact)

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

FooBar wrote:But I am trying to edit the base graphics (file sprites/ogfxe_extra.pnfo in hg repository), so I am editing the base GRF, not making a NewGRF ....
I know. Who do you think has put ogfx_extra together in the first place? :]

_extra is a special kind of base grf: it's essentially a newgrf which doesn't show in the newgrf selection window and which cannot be disabled (other that disabling the whole base graphics set).
The numbering indeed is a bit weird, but that's due to the numbers reflecting the numbers in the *.pcx file for easy lookup if something is messed up. The makefile (and nforenum in particular) fixes that silently before encoding.

There are 64 PBS sprites per climate (normal and 3x presignal) although OpenTTD uses them differently (normal, one-way and 2x unused). A different climate needs a complete action5-type4 additional signal definition appropriately conditionalized by an action7.

I hope it's clear now, otherwise just ask :wink:
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

So I have to copy entire block of 240 presignals/PBS/semaphore sprites and then change the PBS ones in that block?

Well I have done this and commited it, so it is now like:

Action 7 If toyland skip next "block"
block with 240 normal-climate signals (action 5)

If not toyland skip next "block"
block with 240 toyland signals

Most of the signals are now the same (except the PBS) for toyland and non-toyland. Is there some toyland-specific presignals or semaphore graphic that should replace parts of the "toyland" signal block?

Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

By the way, if there's anything on http://graphics.bornacorn.com that fits the bill for any missing graphics, I can bring them up to standard.
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

Born Acorn wrote:By the way, if there's anything on http://graphics.bornacorn.com that fits the bill for any missing graphics, I can bring them up to standard.
Maybe your house could replace one of the missing office blocks
ImageImage ==> Image
https://dev.openttdcoop.org/issues/98

And again the list of all missing sprites: http://openttd.jaspervries.nl/opengfx/a ... objectives

Greets
Ammler
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Bilbo wrote:Well I have done this and commited it, so it is now like:
I didn't check the actual code, but from what you're writing you've done it correctly. Good job on that. :D
Bilbo wrote:Most of the signals are now the same (except the PBS) for toyland and non-toyland. Is there some toyland-specific presignals or semaphore graphic that should replace parts of the "toyland" signal block?
Yes. So be it as there's no other way to do it. Currently there are no toyland-specific semaphores. Not in OpenGFX nor in TTD. I'm not entirely sure about toyland presignals... They're not in OpenGFX that for sure, but they might exist...
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Ammler wrote:
Born Acorn wrote:By the way, if there's anything on http://graphics.bornacorn.com that fits the bill for any missing graphics, I can bring them up to standard.
Maybe your house could replace one of the missing office blocks
ImageImage ==> http://graphics.bornacorn.com/Buildings ... ilding.PNG
https://dev.openttdcoop.org/issues/98

And again the list of all missing sprites: http://openttd.jaspervries.nl/opengfx/a ... objectives

Greets
Ammler
That's an old one! I made that in October 2005!

I'll see if the attached isn't an improvement. I notice most OpenGFX graphics have hollow construction stages, and have followed through with this.
angledbuilding.png
angledbuilding.png (4.16 KiB) Viewed 3400 times
Also, here's an update on the Maglevs/Monorails. I've progressed the Chimera, adding that familiar yellow band to the whole thing. Also included is a mockup of a Millennium Z1 and the makings of a Lev3 Pegasus:
maglevmockups.png
maglevmockups.png (6.83 KiB) Viewed 3310 times
FHS
Director
Director

Post by FHS »

Just a suggestion:
You could replace the yellow with the second company color
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

No. Using 2CC in a base graphics set is impossible as the base graphics set is not a NewGRF.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Those look really good, the maglev vehicles are top quality!
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

thoose monolev engines looks GOOD! Only thing i miss is ... my gfx :p

But frankly! Awsome stuff ... My sprites can be used in the 2cc set in the future :)
Member of the
ImageImage
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

DJ Nekkid wrote:Only thing i miss is ... my gfx :p
Don't take it too personally, DJ. Your maglev looked good as well. The problem though is that your drawings doesn't make a complete matching set, which we prefer over seperate drawings whenever possible. :))

And yes, Born Acorn, your drawings look very good indeed!
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

They look very nice, I guess, beside the passenger waggons, we would need the mail and goods/valuables in that livery. The rest could be used from existing rail. What do you think?
If you want someone to make a preview newgrf, please post the single sprites. :-)

Greets
Ammler

Return to “Graphics Development”