32bit Extra Zoom Graphics Works In Progress

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [32bpp] Extra zoom levels Graphics

Post by maquinista »

I have updated the cadaver's TAR file with his latest model. I have modified it a bit with GIMP.
Attachments
cadaver_houses.tar
TAR file.
(653.5 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
Screenshot.
Screenshot.
pisitos.JPEG (80.29 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
hyperion
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hyperion »

the modifications made with gimp are interesting but there are still details that need to be fixed.
the hole for the round window doesn't appear in phase 2.a tall flat like this must have a rain gutter.
the top of the building looks like an arrow ,the original doesn't look like this.
maybe you wanted to make chimneys,but i think they are really too small.
ZxBiohazardZx made suggestions about windows that i think were judicious(looks good but the windows look odd...

either add balcony railings or smallen the concrete-ish slabs underneath the windows).
if the objective of the 32b project is not to make models that fit with original sprites and real principles of building construction we can use the
infinity of models available in the net in many format.
Attachments
flats.png
flats.png (175.07 KiB) Viewed 7422 times
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

This is the latest Northstar2 house, and the update of the building.
Attachments
northstar2_houses_1.tar
TAR file.
(1.74 MiB) Downloaded 302 times
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

Two fountains by DirtY iCE and BerberJesus.
Attachments
fountains_parks.tar
TAR file, offsets and credits.
(84.5 KiB) Downloaded 2033 times
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

This is some small airport tiles that I have been made some time ago. They are not perfect and They need some modifications, and I will try fix them in the future, but I leave all source files if someone wants modify it.

There are needed some elements, like buildings (left building must be small, It can't be taller than they own tile), water tower, windshock, fences...
Attachments
airport_small.tar
TAR file
(294.5 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
Tile without modifications.
Tile without modifications.
tile.png (42.17 KiB) Viewed 6900 times
3962_z0.XCF.BZ2
File from GIMP.
(460.06 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

This file has the tram tracks that I have made with GIMP some weeks ago. They are far from perfect but They can be useful if someone wants code some trams.
Attachments
tram_tracks.tar
TAR file with offsets.
(798.5 KiB) Downloaded 2836 times
Screenshot.
Screenshot.
screenshot.JPEG (229.78 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
ervin2
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ervin2 »

maquinista wrote:I have coded the other style road vehicles depots.

Also, I have created this download page with a different classification:

http://wiki.openttd.org/Talk:Maquinista ... oom_Levels
Just a suggestion for the depo model. You should make the road go inside, plus put some objects on the inner sides, like tools, gas, ect. But that may just be unnecessary :/
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

I have coded the latest model from northstar2. Now is much better than the original, It doesn't look oversized.
Attachments
northstar2_houses_1.tar
TAR file.
(1.92 MiB) Downloaded 431 times
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Is there an up to date list anyway of all the sprites currently completed? The wiki is very incomplete!
dbkblk
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by dbkblk »

maquinista wrote:This file has the tram tracks that I have made with GIMP some weeks ago. They are far from perfect but They can be useful if someone wants code some trams.
Hey ! Have you seen the grass between the connection of the road and the bridge (near the station) ? There is a small grass stripe.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

dbkblk wrote:
maquinista wrote:This file has the tram tracks that I have made with GIMP some weeks ago. They are far from perfect but They can be useful if someone wants code some trams.
Hey ! Have you seen the grass between the connection of the road and the bridge (near the station) ? There is a small grass stripe.
I can't fix it because is a problem of the sourcecode. Bridge heads should use different ground sprites than empty ground.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

maquinista wrote:I can't fix it because is a problem of the sourcecode. Bridge heads should use different ground sprites than empty ground.
Uhm... that should be solely an alignment problem, shouldn't it? I mean... just make the northern ramp of the bridge such, that it overlaps the grass of the ground tile... or what do I miss there?
Thief^
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Thief^ »

The problem is that the grass extends beyond the edge of the tile, and the bridge head doesn't.
Melt with the Shadows,
Embrace your destiny...
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

Thief^ wrote:The problem is that the grass extends beyond the edge of the tile, and the bridge head doesn't.
Yes. It would need four new slope tiles for bridge heads. These new four tiles would need changes in the code of OTTD, and I don't know how do it.

There are lots of graphics changes needed in OTTD.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Thief^ wrote:The problem is that the grass extends beyond the edge of the tile, and the bridge head doesn't.
So... I guess that's the sprite which needs fixing then. The original one doesn't. And 32bpp is only a replacement for it; and if it - especially for the ground tiles - fails to stay within its bounding boxes - well, you see what happens. It's IMO not a failure of OpenTTD, but a failure of the graphics.
Thief^
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Thief^ »

The original one doesn't overlap the edges because it's just a green square, not actual grass.
Melt with the Shadows,
Embrace your destiny...
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Thief^ wrote:The original one doesn't overlap the edges because it's just a green square, not actual grass.
Yes, I know. But then it's a short-coming or a bug of this 32bpp ground sprite to overlap.
Alternatively you can make the bridge slopes overlap properly.
In any case it's not the failure of OpenTTD, if the sprites coder fail on proper alignment or the tiles are drawn as such that alignment is bound to fail.

It probably would be moderately easy to shave off a few grass leaves at the edges.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

The problem is that bridge heads should use tiles like these two. Also, this only needs two new tiles, not four. These tiles can't replace the current landscape tiles because it would look strange.

Also, this is not only a problem of 32 bpp extra zoom levels, because If someone wants draw a new 8 bppground tile set with some height of the grass, he would get the same problem in bridges.
Attachments
New tile needed for bridge heads.
ground_sprite_bridges.PNG (52.3 KiB) Viewed 5243 times
ground_sprite_bridges2.PNG (49.96 KiB) Viewed 5238 times
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

maquinista wrote:The problem is that bridge heads should use tiles like these two.
No, the people who create graphics should draw tiles that end where they are supposed to end, rather than overlapping the neighboring tiles.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Adding the overlapping part to the beginning of the next tile instead of the end of the tile itself should solve this problem nicely. Basically the same technique as I used on my Transrapid track set.

While that glitches a bit in case of the transrapid track set because of the large height difference, it should be perfectly fine with small height differences like this here grass.

Return to “Graphics Development”