More diesel_smoke patch

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: More diesel_smoke patch

Post by SirkoZ »

Time for a new version/update - 3.0b. Lots of diesel smoke when locomotives are stresses and a bit more steam smoke right up till max_speed.
Anyhow here are the files (r16422 - original release revision and updated r16435 and up, 0.7.1 Release):
Attachments
diesel_smoke_sz_3-0b_r16422.patch
diff r16422
(3.71 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
diesel_smoke_sz_3-0b_r16435.patch
just updated 422->435...
(3.71 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
diesel_smoke_sz_3-0b_0-7-1.patch
0.7.1 release diff
(3.72 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
Last edited by SirkoZ on 09 Jun 2009 04:15, edited 3 times in total.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

SirkoZ wrote:And of course, updaters should not use my name-style for my patch if it's updated and changed. It's NOT _sz_ and it's not 3-0.
funnily, the GPL does not allow you to make that kind of restriction (and you may not release patches under any license that is more restrictive than the GPL)
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

You should notice the should therein my statement, it should prevent confusion. Another such element would be that and - an updated and changed patch is not the same as "sz" (=my), version 3.0. Comprende?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Eddi wrote:
SirkoZ wrote:And of course, updaters should not use my name-style for my patch if it's updated and changed. It's NOT _sz_ and it's not 3-0.
funnily, the GPL does not allow you to make that kind of restriction
Funnily, that's not a restriction. It's merely a request. Were it a restriction, it would read "must not".
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

you should know better than to ride on language subtleties in a forum where a majority has a different native language.
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

i understood it the same way as Eddi.
people name their files the same way as yours SirkoZ, in order to show that their work is related to your file, and as you can see, they added some more stuff to the file name.
+ i could go, take your file, rename the sz to dih and upload it again, without modifying any single part of your patch - not something i'd do, but i'd be allowed to!
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Ignorance of subtleties is no excuse when formulating statements that are intended to have legal ramifications.

This is why we use GPL, or the MPL, or insert-other-software-license-here, rather that trying to roll our own. If you are exceedingly lucky, your reinvented wheel will manage to be square. More likely, you'll have a trapezoid with both axles within delta of one of the vertices, and not the same one.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

DaleStan wrote:[...] rather that trying to roll our own. [...]
"than" :-D
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

dihedral wrote:i understood it the same way as Eddi.
people name their files the same way as yours SirkoZ, in order to show that their work is related to your file, and as you can see, they added some more stuff to the file name.
+ i could go, take your file, rename the sz to dih and upload it again, without modifying any single part of your patch - not something i'd do, but i'd be allowed to!
Well - it's all to avoid confusion, dih. So your hypothetical, only updated, not changed, "dih" file would perhaps mean to someone that there's something changed in there (at the first glance of the title, without looking at the file). That's why the "and". ;-)
DaleStan wrote:
Eddi wrote:
SirkoZ wrote:...
Funnily, that's not a restriction. It's merely a request. Were it a restriction, it would read "must not".
and also
DaleStan wrote:Ignorance of subtleties...
Thank you for clarifying that for the good people here on the Forum (absolutely no pun intended). :]
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

DaleStan wrote:Ignorance of subtleties [...]
ok, so you want to discuss subtleties. then i must tell you that i learned in school that british people have a tendency for understatement, so they would use "you should not" in places where a german person would say "it is forbidden", and a new york person would say "have you f*** lost your mind?!?"

this is the way i read the statement, which made me reply in a clarifying manner, that this statement cannot mean what i read into it.
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

Eddi: /me nods :-)
John
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by John »

SirkoZ wrote: and also
DaleStan wrote:Ignorance of subtleties...
Thank you for clarifying that for the good people here on the Forum (absolutely no pun intended). :]
Talking of subtleties
SirkoZ wrote: Well - it's all to avoid confusion, dih. So your hypothetical, only updated, not changed, "dih" file would perhaps mean to someone that there's something changed in there (at the first glance of the title, without looking at the file). That's why the "and". ;-)
How is a change of name an update and not a change? Yes, the file is identical - but the name has changed. Surely that means the hypothetical file has been changed?

Or to go further:
SirkoZ wrote:You should notice the should therein my statement, it should prevent confusion. Another such element would be that and - an updated and changed patch is not the same as "sz" (=my), version 3.0. Comprende?
How do you update a patch without changing it? Surely if you change nothing, then the patch is identical and has not been updated...

Of course whether said change is noticeable is a different matter ;)

Anyway, my actual point is what the hell does GPL discussion have to do with more diesel smoke? (although admittedly this post is furthering this diversion somewhat.... wooops).
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Again for those who just want to play endlessly with semantics:
a) different line positions (and descriptors for certain parts, like the recent u.rail -> tcache that is without any behaviour differences) = update to higher revision (of trunk),
b) change -> changed behaviour no matter whether it is for higher revision of trunk or not, with changed behaviour, i.e. with change that is worth mentioning, version of a patch is incremented.

Now, as John after some ramblings finally realised perhaps it's time to come back on-topic. Although we'll see if the usual suspects can resist their temptations... :|
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

just cannot resist :-)

updated to r16458 + made the diff from the top most dir instead of src/ :-P
Attachments
diesel_smoke_sz_3-0b_r16458.patch
(3.72 KiB) Downloaded 1406 times
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

That's nice! Thank you dihedral. ;-)

One thing though - what's with 1059+ times downloaded? Been asking for favors :?:
LaDoncella
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LaDoncella »

or maybe A LOT of patience while hitting the download :roll:
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

haha - that's funny - totally did not expect that - never really changed anything in that patch either :-P
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

dihedral wrote:haha - that's funny - totally did not expect that - never really changed anything in that patch either :-P
You didn't answer my question.
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

New version - 3.0c - I've finally taken into account the new station stopping behaviour (stop near the entrance/in the middle of station/at the far end - as it used to be). With {near} and {mid} stops there is less smoke now, comparable to {far}, although this one is still my favourite setting.
Also added the patch for 0.7.4 release here.
Trunk compatibility: r19355+
Attachments
diesel_smoke_sz_3-0b_0-7-4.patch
diff_release
(3.72 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
diesel_smoke_sz_3-0c_r19355.patch
diff_nightly
(3.72 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
Last edited by SirkoZ on 07 Mar 2010 11:04, edited 8 times in total.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”