AI libraries on Bananas

Discuss the new AI features ("NoAI") introduced into OpenTTD 0.7, allowing you to implement custom AIs, and the new Game Scripts available in OpenTTD 1.2 and higher.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

AI libraries on Bananas

Post by Bilbo »

When I looked through TAR's of AI libraries, I notices that all of them contain GPLv2 text in the license file (as it is their license) but they do not specify whether their license is GPLv2 only or GPLv2 or newer.
So, unless specified, it seems that it is GPLv2 only, I guess. Does it mean, that GPLv3 AI won't be able to use these libraries?

Also, when I look at http://bananas.openttd.org/en/ailibrary/ I see no author information (neither I see them in-game when using "check online content", though from comment at start of some files it seems that truebrain is author, or at least the one that checked out sources and uploaded them to bananas)

I guess that this should be improved as well - if you want to know author of file on bananas, there is currently no way to find out that information from there
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: AI libraries on Bananas

Post by Yexo »

Bilbo wrote:When I looked through TAR's of AI libraries, I notices that all of them contain GPLv2 text in the license file (as it is their license) but they do not specify whether their license is GPLv2 only or GPLv2 or newer.
So, unless specified, it seems that it is GPLv2 only, I guess. Does it mean, that GPLv3 AI won't be able to use these libraries?
I'm not quite sure how it works legally, but I fear you're right.
Also, when I look at http://bananas.openttd.org/en/ailibrary/ I see no author information (neither I see them in-game when using "check online content", though from comment at start of some files it seems that truebrain is author, or at least the one that checked out sources and uploaded them to bananas)
That the name TrueBrain appears above those files is because he was the last person to change them when they were still in the svn repository. He author of some of the files, but so are others. To have a complete overview, you'll need to look up the svn logs.

If it was up to me, you could use/integrate them without any problems in a gpl v3 AI (ie it should be GPL v2 or any later version). I'll try to find all authors and see if they agree.
I guess that this should be improved as well - if you want to know author of file on bananas, there is currently no way to find out that information from there
I agree, but this discussion doesn't belong here (in the NoAI subforum).
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

Maybe it's better to (re)license the libraries under a license that allows to be 'linked' by everything, like LGPL.
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

Rubidium wrote:Maybe it's better to (re)license the libraries under a license that allows to be 'linked' by everything, like LGPL.
Also fine, but that doesn't change the fact that all original authors need to agree on that.

Edit: I looked through the logs and will contact all authors asap.
Morloth
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Morloth »

Yexo wrote:
Rubidium wrote:Maybe it's better to (re)license the libraries under a license that allows to be 'linked' by everything, like LGPL.
Also fine, but that doesn't change the fact that all original authors need to agree on that.

Edit: I looked through the logs and will contact all authors asap.
I give my permission to change the license to LGPL for the FibinacciQueue file, although it has been altered and eventually released by TrueBrain under the GPLv2 license so I don't really know who has what rights.

Return to “OpenTTD AIs and Game Scripts”