New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread (Works In Progress)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

ZxBiohazardZx
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread

Post by ZxBiohazardZx »

Wacki wrote:
Wotan wrote: - I've always thought the signs on the platforms were too closely spaced. Two signs per tile seems to be overkill to me. One should be enough. This is not a problem with your design but rather with the original design and I understand if people want to retain the original two signs per tile configuration in order to keep close to the original model.
Maybe bench?

superb job, but take notice the station is multiple sprites as well

1) the station main building (what you now have)
2) empty station tiles (like the south end of the main building tile)

anyway the benches look good, but if they are time-tables, then 2/tile arent that odd, local stations have 2 time-table boards as well, maybe simply have them on the main-building tile, and NOT on the generic other tiles?????
ZxBiohazardZx
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ZxBiohazardZx »

please comment my latest version of the monorail depot, if you do NOT have comments, then please help me with the company-color overlay and/or cutting+ coding the model....

if you need the .blend file for either of that, then tell me, id happily send it to anyone that needs it

and a question: why do the colors change, they didnt change for other players using same setup, is that layer-dependant? and if so, what layer does my model have to be in (currently whole model in the 6th square from top row)
Attachments
animation sta 4 end 4
animation sta 4 end 4
depot_7 (semi-colored)_4.png (45.88 KiB) Viewed 5474 times
animation sta 2 end 2
animation sta 2 end 2
depot_7 (semi-colored)_2.png (51.48 KiB) Viewed 5478 times
animation sta 1 end 1
animation sta 1 end 1
depot_7 (semi-colored)_1.png (42.08 KiB) Viewed 5459 times
ZxBiohazardZx
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ZxBiohazardZx »

3 attachment limit:

last render: animation sta 3 end 3
Attachments
animation sta 3 end 3
animation sta 3 end 3
depot_7 (semi-colored)_3.png (47.71 KiB) Viewed 5457 times
Wotan
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Wotan »

I had a try at the girder steel bridge. Any suggestions for improvements or how to cut up the model?
girder steel bridge.png
girder steel bridge.png (91.67 KiB) Viewed 5421 times
Coders wanted: Image DSB Litra E in 2cc - Image DSB Litra A in 2cc

ImageUnless stated otherwise all works published by me on these forums is covered by a Creative Commons Attribution Non-commercial share-alike License. Please PM me if you are interested in obtaining a different license.
ArmEagle
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ArmEagle »

Wotan wrote: - I've always thought the signs on the platforms were too closely spaced. Two signs per tile seems to be overkill to me. One should be enough. This is not a problem with your design but rather with the original design and I understand if people want to retain the original two signs per tile configuration in order to keep close to the original model.
Yeah I always found that too. Especially with these high detail models 2 seems to be a crowd.
The benches somehow seem much less obtrusive. But like someone suggested; maybe put the signs on the building tile and then one (or if you insist 2) benches on the others.

I have to say that I'm like a kid in a candy store. It's really nice to see all of you picking it up (again).
ZxBiohazardZx
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ZxBiohazardZx »

Wotan wrote:I had a try at the girder steel bridge. Any suggestions for improvements or how to cut up the model?
girder steel bridge.png
looks nice but the ends of the glider bridge should be concrete (like the center column) then its easy to " split" the sprite into 1-tile-sections and 1 start/end-sprite in 4 angles

(hope you got that)
CryingCorvus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CryingCorvus »

Those are my vintage trucks sprites. I hope somone will be able to code this. I do not found sprites names but think somone do.
If somone code this I will upload next one... 8)

Edit: File removed... Im planning to upload trucks sa sets like Mail trucks now.
Last edited by CryingCorvus on 28 Feb 2009 00:08, edited 1 time in total.
j0rdax
Engineer
Engineer

Post by j0rdax »

Hi all, thanks for all the positive feedback.
I am taking everything into account and will post some options soon.
Wacki, I like your benches A LOT, and thought of maybe adding one sign and one bench for variation.
I am also trying to improve the platform texture and to add some detail to the building.

Wotan, I like your bridge. It will be good to have a look at the original grf to see how the parts need to be "stitched" together seemlessly.
Rom 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believes...
Mat 10:32 "So I will acknowledge in front of my Father in heaven that person who acknowledges me in front of others.
Mat 10:33 But I will tell my Father in heaven that I don't know the person who tells others that he doesn't know me.
leaderfrontier
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by leaderfrontier »

This picture are the best one.

May I know you guy use wad software to draw these picture?
A smile everyday,keep fortune around.
Smile your life before sadness come. :D
Teemes
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Teemes »

CryingCorvus and ZxBiohazardZx, I'd like to help with the coding and related stuff, but unfortunately my computer at home died on monday. So if no one else jumps to the rescue, I'll do it when my PC is working again. Might take a fortnight, though (hopefully not). Maquinista is quite active lately *prod*, *prod*. :wink:
Note for prospective coders: please make sure that the wheels of CC's lorries align with the ones of varivar's, or you'll have drivers that can't keep in line... Moreover, I hope that the company colours of the lorries will match varivar's. The green hue of the renders might work, though, it's approx. 120° from the blue of varivar's.

And j0rdax, nice work on the station graphics. I prefer the benches to the station signs (or timetables, or whatever), but that's just my two cents.
j0rdax
Engineer
Engineer

Post by j0rdax »

Teemes. wrote:And j0rdax, nice work on the station graphics. I prefer the benches to the station signs (or timetables, or whatever), but that's just my two cents.
Thanks Teemes. I agree on the benches.

Here is an update on the Rail Station. More detail on the building and test for company colour. Better Wotan? :)
Then I spotted a problem with tiling of the platforms. I indicated with the red arrows that I had to put the benches there to hide the steps of the rear platform. I also had to put hand rails behind the benches for the same reason. Easiest would be to remove steps and rails from front platform, but who wants things to be easy, right?
If it's ok with you guys I will make the benches look nicer and hide the steps better. I will also make the hand rails neater. I really want to keep the steps.
Will also start on the 2x1 roofed station soon.
leaderfrontier wrote:May I know you guy use wad software to draw these picture?
Your choice of 3dsmax, maya, lightwave, blender(opensource) together with photoshop, gimp(opensource). I'd choose the cheapest if I use it for fun only.
Attachments
Have to hide steps when platforms are tiled. ;(
Have to hide steps when platforms are tiled. ;(
StepHoles.png (174.1 KiB) Viewed 5378 times
Rom 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believes...
Mat 10:32 "So I will acknowledge in front of my Father in heaven that person who acknowledges me in front of others.
Mat 10:33 But I will tell my Father in heaven that I don't know the person who tells others that he doesn't know me.
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

ZxBioHazardZx,

a couple of remarks for your depot:
- is your light setup ok? In _1.png the shaduw in the building should be almost horizontal, see Wackis depots. Also in _4 does not seem right

-see attached picture
1: same planes should have same lighting / colour
2: in standard setup, horizontals are brighter than verticals (see Wacki's window sills)
3: bricks are like 4 meter wide?
4: colour difference comes from amount of specularity and light directions. Also try to add a nice texture, now it does look like kind of plastic.
Attachments
depot_7 (semi-colored)_3 copy.png
depot_7 (semi-colored)_3 copy.png (51.26 KiB) Viewed 4853 times
ArmEagle
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ArmEagle »

Wacki wrote:
Maybe bench?
That's certainly a fancy way of fixing that issue, does it work for all angles though?
But I wonder what happens with those stairs, when someone codes the 2-track station-roof. They surely look fantastic on a single-track station. And you solved it for multiple single-track setups. I'm just thinking it might all in all be better to remove the stairs for default platforms and use them in a GRF instead.
CryingCorvus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CryingCorvus »

I think I can't make a truck longer than varivars trucks X( if they must be just half tile long :cry:
That means my modern 3rd gen trucks will look funny {or not-so-cool when I lower them down}

But at other side, regal bus Teemes made is much longer than half a tile :?: Whats going on?
Attachments
funnytruck.png
funnytruck.png (79.22 KiB) Viewed 4765 times
ZeroMD
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ZeroMD »

I realy love this topic :D

@CryingCorvus maybe you could make the cabine a little shorter
j0rdax
Engineer
Engineer

Post by j0rdax »

ArmEagle wrote:That's certainly a fancy way of fixing that issue, does it work for all angles though?
But I wonder what happens with those stairs, when someone codes the 2-track station-roof. They surely look fantastic on a single-track station. And you solved it for multiple single-track setups. I'm just thinking it might all in all be better to remove the stairs for default platforms and use them in a GRF instead.
It works for the other angle too. The 2-track station-roof I am busy with and it has it's own platforms on the edges and uses the single track platform back-to-back in the center which doesn't cause a problem either. It seems that it will work nicely after all. Thanks for making me think. :wink:
CryingCorvus wrote:I think I can't make a truck longer than varivars trucks if they must be just half tile long
That means my modern 3rd gen trucks will look funny {or not-so-cool when I lower them down}

But at other side, regal bus Teemes made is much longer than half a tile Whats going on?
Your trucks are great. Longer vehicles make horrible turns though. Varivar's trucks do not look as funny because of their height. I know you like the height of yours but have you tried squishing them a bit? I'd like to see that.
Thief^
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Thief^ »

j0rdax wrote:Then I spotted a problem with tiling of the platforms. I indicated with the red arrows that I had to put the benches there to hide the steps of the rear platform. I also had to put hand rails behind the benches for the same reason. Easiest would be to remove steps and rails from front platform, but who wants things to be easy, right?
If it's ok with you guys I will make the benches look nicer and hide the steps better. I will also make the hand rails neater. I really want to keep the steps.
How's it look with stairs on both sides of the platform instead? I'm thinking it'll look like a wide underpass / subway entrance.
Melt with the Shadows,
Embrace your destiny...
CryingCorvus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CryingCorvus »

Your trucks are great. Longer vehicles make horrible turns though. Varivar's trucks do not look as funny because of their height. I know you like the height of yours but have you tried squishing them a bit? I'd like to see that.
heeh do not change too much
ZeroMD wrote:I realy love this topic :D

@CryingCorvus maybe you could make the cabine a little shorter
It is very flat now:] In blender it looks even bit stupid and grotesque, we dont se this i isometry
Attachments
fdgfh.png
fdgfh.png (18.13 KiB) Viewed 4633 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Mmm, looks good! I think those proportions will work well...
ZeroMD
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ZeroMD »

I think it's perfect :]

Return to “Graphics Development”