New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread (Works In Progress)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread

Post by Zephyris »

In short, yes. 8bpp in the normal TT palette.

For trunk 32bpp (normal zoom, 64px tiles) the mask image needs to be 8bpp .png and include all the "special colours" (ie. company colours, animated colours) for that sprite in the TT palette. For pixels where the 32bpp image is to show through se the alpha of that pixel in the mask image to 0.

For the extra zoom levels branch (IIRC) it works differently, you still need to make an 8bpp mask image but the colour of the company colour pixels is calculated in 32bpp.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

I will clear this page, because some models have been abandoned:

http://wiki.openttd.org/wiki/index.php/Industrial_Buildings_(New_Graphics)

I will move it to this page:

http://wiki.openttd.org/wiki/index.php/Props_(New_Graphics)
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
Jupix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Jupix »

You're editing the extra zoom tracker. Perhaps you should be editing the "normal" 32bpp tracker.
#################
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

Jupix wrote:You're editing the extra zoom tracker. Perhaps you should be editing the "normal" 32bpp tracker.
The normal 32bpp tracker doesn't have too many "died WIPs", but I will try update it, because some TAR files have z2 and z0 sprites.

I'm removing some industrial models in 32 bpp tracker, because some of them wasn't updated for two years or more.

The BerberJesus's paper mill is awesome, but It can't be used without a new GRF. My idea is that It could be included in a ECS file or It can be included in a new GRF that replaces the current paper mill. I think that is better the first idea, but We need permission from ECS Wood authors and BerberJesus.
I don't know code industrial buildings in GRF files, but maybe this model could be converted in 8 bbp and included in ECS wood as a modern paper mill. This paper mill can replace the a old paper mill after a year (1960 for example). With the ECS wood GRF updated, I can code the 32 bpp model. The model from BerberJesus fits in the 3x3 space.
This paper mill is awesome, but... If We can't use this model, I will remove it from tracker. :cry:

This bank model is almost complete, I think that It should be finished, or removed from the tracker.
It's a great model, but... Models can't be in WIP stage forever. :(
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
Jupix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Jupix »

maquinista wrote:The normal 32bpp tracker doesn't have too many "died WIPs"
Yep - that was my goal when doing the "new" tracker;
some of them wasn't updated for two years or more.
those indeed need to go, regardless of how awesome they look.
#################
Dabas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dabas »

CryingCorvus, I thing that your latest truck is realy great, it perfectly fit as the 3rd generation.

I see that we misunderstood each other.
For me the first generation are the trucks from 40ties... Opel Blitz, something like that, and I call it "old ones". Second are a trucks from 70ties, I called it "modern" but they are not very modern. And then we have 3rd generation, circa 2000-2010, it's something like a trucks today, but in original ttd they looked very strange so i'd like them to call "futuristic".

And I think that Varivars style truck are great as the 2nd gen, CryingCorvus "old ones" are great as the 1st gen, and latest CryinCorvus work will be really great as the 3rd.

The water looks good, but I remember some ben_robins animated water earlier in this thread, but I will need the bigger sample to compare, as one tile ben_robins water was great, but I fear that in larger areas it could cause a seasickness.

And Wacki, your road depot is really impressive, i'd like to see it in game.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

Dabas wrote:CryingCorvus, I thing that your latest truck is realy great, it perfectly fit as the 3rd generation.

I see that we misunderstood each other.
For me the first generation are the trucks from 40ties... Opel Blitz, something like that, and I call it "old ones". Second are a trucks from 70ties, I called it "modern" but they are not very modern. And then we have 3rd generation, circa 2000-2010, it's something like a trucks today, but in original ttd they looked very strange so i'd like them to call "futuristic".

And I think that Varivars style truck are great as the 2nd gen, CryingCorvus "old ones" are great as the 1st gen, and latest CryinCorvus work will be really great as the 3rd.

The water looks good, but I remember some ben_robins animated water earlier in this thread, but I will need the bigger sample to compare, as one tile ben_robins water was great, but I fear that in larger areas it could cause a seasickness.

And Wacki, your road depot is really impressive, i'd like to see it in game.
Yes, these trucks can be used in the 3rd generation.

The water tiles can't be animated (in the current release), but I will try with a single tile.
Jupix wrote:
maquinista wrote:The normal 32bpp tracker doesn't have too many "died WIPs"
Yep - that was my goal when doing the "new" tracker;
some of them wasn't updated for two years or more.
those indeed need to go, regardless of how awesome they look.
Other problem of most of the abandoned models is that They doesn't have construction stages or They doesn't fit in the sprite layout (industries).

For example, the sawmill needs these sprites:
But only one was proposed by dmh_mac:
This model is awesome, but It can't replace the original model because the original sprite layout has a few sprites, but repeated. This model was used in ECS wood GRF, and I have coded the model for this GRF.

I will ask the authors of the models if They can upload the blend files and release them under a free license (CC BY-SA, CC BY...). Otherwise, these models couldn't be used. I will give them one or two weeks before move their models to Props (New Graphics) page and leave the original model free, if someone wants model it.
CryingCorvus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CryingCorvus »

I think I can share my sprites with "free license" becouse it takes some time for me to learn coding and this is difficult for me boecouse my english language is not that good. :roll:
I modeled the Varivars trucks of 2gn that are missing from the set.

About masks for company colour. I know now it needs to be 8bpp but i want to know if ttd has some own speciffic pallete that I need to import or it just need to be set to 8bpp (256clr)
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

For the mask file you can use any 256 colour palette you like, as long as you use colour index 196-203 for the company colours.
Easiest way is to copy an existing mask file for another model, like Teemes' trains, or Varivar trucks. Then use Gimp or Photoshop or whatever to resize it to the size of your sprite. Then open your new sprite, select all and copy. Go to the mask file and paste. Gimp will take care of the conversion to 8bpp.

Then draw your mask using one of the colour indices mentioned above. You don't need to pngcodec the mask, only the sprite itself must be pngcodeced.

Zephyris is right, the mechanism of creating the mask file is identical for the extra zoom patch, and the 32bpp in trunk.
Difference in display is big however: the extra zoom patch takes the saturation and brightness from the original sprite, and blends it with the company colour that is to be applied.
The 32bpp in trunk takes the saturation and brightness from the mask, which gives only 8 shades of brightness, and replaces the pixels of the original sprite completely without blending, which gives an ugly result on gradients.
This means that it does not matter which of the company colour indices in the range you choose for the extra zoom patch, it won't effect the brightness of the blend. It also means that if you put the mask on a place where the original sprite is not, or very little saturated, the blend will not show any company colour. So, for optimal result, mask an area of the sprites that is colourful, and not white, gray or black.

This may sound difficult, but if you've tried it, it's really not that hard.

@Maquiniste, good action, it's really time the abandonded WIPs stop blocking the creation of new models.
trainboy2004
Director
Director

Post by trainboy2004 »

Good to see that this topic is back in action again. Here's a preview of my latest project:
Attachments
Ultra Low Floor Vienna (Lighting will be modified)
Ultra Low Floor Vienna (Lighting will be modified)
ulf.png (89.79 KiB) Viewed 7001 times
CryingCorvus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CryingCorvus »

trainboy2004, shape is good but windows looks too flat... do them seperately with reflectied material. I know is just a preview but i want to be sure you now what you doing :] :wink:

GeekToo, "index 196-203" Wtf this means? Im using photoshop for 8 years and I dont know what that means :twisted:
For now i just copied mask colour from Varivars mask files and I hope is enought but Im still lerning... all my life, open for knowlege :lol:
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

It's the sequence number of the colour in the palette. Gimp does give that number, not sure about Photoshop. Anyway, if you use the OTTD palette, look at the picture in this post: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=669080#p669080, maybe that's clearer
trainboy2004
Director
Director

Post by trainboy2004 »

CryingCorvus wrote:trainboy2004, shape is good but windows looks too flat... do them separately with reflected material. :wink:
The colors of the windows will be darker, they are way to blueish now. I shall try to make them reflective in 3dsmax, but I don't know or it's possible never did it before. :D
CryingCorvus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CryingCorvus »

Damn... how I can find whats the name of all those sprites sprites??? ?(

trainboy2004, when you make them darker windows frames just disapear :wink:
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

CryingCorvus wrote:Damn... how I can find whats the name of all those sprites sprites??? ?(

trainboy2004, when you make them darker windows frames just disapear :wink:
You can make the models, and I can code them.
j0rdax
Engineer
Engineer

Post by j0rdax »

I am currently working on the train station. Ben_Robbins_ WIP'ed it more than a year ago and only did one part of it. He never released the blends, he usesd 3d max, so I had to start from scratch. I am sure his light setup was a little different too. If my stations have to fit together I unfortunately have to replace his station, but I tried to stay as close to his design as possible.
All comments welcome...
Attachments
MyStation_WIP.png
MyStation_WIP.png (112.19 KiB) Viewed 6661 times
Rom 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believes...
Mat 10:32 "So I will acknowledge in front of my Father in heaven that person who acknowledges me in front of others.
Mat 10:33 But I will tell my Father in heaven that I don't know the person who tells others that he doesn't know me.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

j0rdax wrote:I am currently working on the train station. Ben_Robbins_ WIP'ed it more than a year ago and only did one part of it. He never released the blends, he usesd 3d max, so I had to start from scratch. I am sure his light setup was a little different too. If my stations have to fit together I unfortunately have to replace his station, but I tried to stay as close to his design as possible.
All comments welcome...
I like it! I will try code these sprites.
Cudar
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Cudar »

trainboy2004 wrote:Good to see that this topic is back in action again. Here's a preview of my latest project:
Really nice project, Trainboy2004! I live in Oradea, and here are Siemens ULF trams like in Wiena. I like them. I thoght, I make it in 8bpp, but this 32bpp version is awesome! Good work! I'd like to see it in the game.
KG Studios Cudar (latest news about RVR) - Romania in OTTD tt-forums topic - Romania in OTTD website - RomTrain Graphics
Creator of the Road Vehicles in Romania set
ImageImage
Wotan
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Wotan »

j0rdax wrote:I am currently working on the train station. Ben_Robbins_ WIP'ed it more than a year ago and only did one part of it. He never released the blends, he usesd 3d max, so I had to start from scratch. I am sure his light setup was a little different too. If my stations have to fit together I unfortunately have to replace his station, but I tried to stay as close to his design as possible.
All comments welcome...
You've got a great model here. However I have a few suggestions for improvement.

- The frame of the door and the window seems too heavy. Try and make it more subtle and insert the door and window into the masonry instead of placing it outside of it.
- Try putting some doors and windows on the wall below the glass roof. With the roof being transparent one can see that they are missing.
- Try scaling the roof tiles on the long sections of the roof down. They seem too big to be realistic, especially compared to the small roof sections.
- The glass roof looks too modern for the style of the building. It looks like it is composed of three sections of curved glass. If you added more detail in the form of crossbars it would look more in style with the rest of the building.
- Just an idea for more detail: try add a clock to the roundel on the gable.
- I've always thought the signs on the platforms were too closely spaced. Two signs per tile seems to be overkill to me. One should be enough. This is not a problem with your design but rather with the original design and I understand if people want to retain the original two signs per tile configuration in order to keep close to the original model.
Coders wanted: Image DSB Litra E in 2cc - Image DSB Litra A in 2cc

ImageUnless stated otherwise all works published by me on these forums is covered by a Creative Commons Attribution Non-commercial share-alike License. Please PM me if you are interested in obtaining a different license.
Wacki
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Wacki »

Wotan wrote: - I've always thought the signs on the platforms were too closely spaced. Two signs per tile seems to be overkill to me. One should be enough. This is not a problem with your design but rather with the original design and I understand if people want to retain the original two signs per tile configuration in order to keep close to the original model.
Maybe bench?
Attachments
MyStation_WIP copy.png
MyStation_WIP copy.png (114.45 KiB) Viewed 6578 times
lavicka.png
lavicka.png (23.57 KiB) Viewed 6568 times
Sorry for my very bad English!!! :(
I am 3dsmax artist.

Return to “Graphics Development”