Sound replacement project

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

jklamo
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Sound replacement project

Post by jklamo »

Pendrokar wrote:I had gotten ferry and horse! ?(
I used wiki to found missing sounds, if you done these, upload them on wiki, i am not insisting on using my sound.
Pendrokar wrote: Plane skid sample won't do, because it is not really a skid. Of course I don't really know how to create a rubber-asphalt skid and record it!
yes, it is not in fact, but i notice that sound is used in game while airplane is landing, so i used wheals touch down sound, that may replace skid sound.
Pendrokar wrote: Helicopter is good though. Except it needs Fade in at start and Fade out at the end!
It was faded, but apparently not enough. More faded version is attached.
Pendrokar wrote: +I can hear and see that you had just cut parts of the ferry sound and because Frequencies don't match up and thats why there is a offset that can be heard. - I should know I had paid 300$ for a 4 day 8 hour sound engineer courses!
Yes, I just felt that 4,5 sec legth is too long. Tried to polish it more
Pendrokar wrote: Why did I stop making and finding these sounds. I have no real reason just that I don't think we need to recreate the Toyland sounds which would be hard!
I have same opinion about toyland sounds, i think that only small part of openttd players is playing it. Maybe just reuse normal sounds to toyland may be solution.
Attachments
24 helicopter.wav
(425.33 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
07 ferry horn.wav
(569.58 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

jklamo wrote:... i think that only small part of openttd players is playing it. Maybe just reuse normal sounds to toyland may be solution.
This is not a valid reason to downgrade the game. We need to add features not to remove.

regards
athanasios
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Pendrokar
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pendrokar »

athanasios wrote:
jklamo wrote:... i think that only small part of openttd players is playing it. Maybe just reuse normal sounds to toyland may be solution.
This is not a valid reason to downgrade the game. We need to add features not to remove.

regards
athanasios
We're not really downgrading! Just leaving as it was, 8)
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Then it isn't a sound replacement project. IT is a partial replacement project.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Lilman424
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lilman424 »

Plus, one of the benefits of replacing ALL the sound is copyright problems. if we're still using toyland sounds, then we're still violating copyright.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein
Bento Boy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Bento Boy »

Plus, one of the benefits of replacing ALL the sound is copyright problems. if we're still using toyland sounds, then we're still violating copyright.
Only if you do not have the original game. :wink:

//BentoBoy
//BentoBoy
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lilman424 »

Well, either way, until all the sound is replaced, OpenTTD cannot be distributed with sound.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Well, it's quite possible just to insert blank sound effects (as I did with my test package a while ago). But it's still better to replace them all.
_VS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by _VS »

Hello,
I have two sounds, tram bell and bus driving away (well rather kind of around). No idea if they are useful for you, these were edited to fit in Simutrans, but feel free to do with them whatever you want. If you want to be extra nice, let me use any eventual changes and we're even, but I don't really care that much :)

http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=546.0

PS: If you want, I can give you the non-downsampled versions (16bit stereo @ 44.1k)
ThunderAI
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ThunderAI »

orudge wrote:Various people have created high quality versions of the originals - take a look at this for instance. Also have a listen to the attached file - it was posted on the forums a few years ago, recorded with real instruments - rather nice I think.

Not sure on the legality of still using the same songs (even if recorded separately) in OpenTTD though. (Oh, and note that my new sound/music patch will support file formats such as MP3 and Vorbis, so we're not limited to MIDI files!)

The attached song is really nice. I'd rather it be real instruments then electric since I think it losses 'something' in the translation, but I long since lost the ability to play my trumpet.
Doi
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Doi »

i've made a freepascal program which can create a sample.cat file from wavs.
The wavs need to be converted into 11025 Hz u8 wavs. (there is also a wav-converter script and a sample sample.cat :) in the zip) Feel free to use it and/or report if it works wrong.

http://doidoi.extra.hu/ttd/samplecat.zip
Meadows
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Meadows »

I might check this out, but I have some things to note first (this is not an advertisement):

1) Soundsnap (. com) is a good source of high quality sounds to work with as they are, or transformed. Their license clearly allows both non-profit and profit usage, attributing the respective artists/recordists is only optional (although recommended) and their license fully permits works based upon the sounds (films, music, videogames). The only thing they don't allow, is for you to re-sell the sounds as an unmodified collection (i.e. "sample pack"). You don't intend to do that anyway.

2) Thought of recreating (or replacing from scratch) the game music in varying genres?

3) It would be nice of the original post would get marks about which sound has been "renewed" already, so people could more easily focus on the ones that are still missing.
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

Afaik the sounds need to be GPL licensed to make them distribuable in the OpenTTD download.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Doi wrote:i've made a freepascal program which can create a sample.cat file from wavs.
I did create such a utility, which I think I made available somewhere in this thread. Anyway, my new patch, a revised version of which is likely to make it into trunk, uses .tar files now, with plain old .wavs inside them. :)
Meadows wrote:3) It would be nice of the original post would get marks about which sound has been "renewed" already, so people could more easily focus on the ones that are still missing.
There's a wiki page for that - I've linked to it in the original post.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

In an effort to get the sound replacement project restarted again I've implemented a way to read custom sound replacements in OpenTTD. It works similarly to the graphics replacements; the format of the files stays the same and OpenTTD just loads differently named files. It also hooks in directly to the content downloading system.

As proof of concept I've created a "NoSound" replacement set, which contains no sounds and can be downloaded from the content system in recent (>r17140) OpenTTD nightlies. As a result it will go into 0.8.0. Just place it in OpenTTD's data/ directory.
no-sound.tar
The NoSound set
(10 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
I've also created a tool to encode (and decode!) the new cat files; the format is slightly different than the old format, but that is so OpenTTD can still use the same hacks to load the original files. This tool can be downloaded at http://www.openttd.org/download-catcodec
Please read docs/obs_format.txt for the format of the required, for OpenTTD to detect the sound set, .obs file.

Finally I have created, with the help of the #openttdcoop guys, a repository/tracker for the sound replacement pack. It's called OpenSFX and can be found at http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/opensfx. I already added all samples from http://wiki.openttd.org/Sound_Effects_Replacement that had a proper license and sounded decent. I also created a ticket/issue for each of the missing samples and hope that you can help finding/creating a suitable sample for the pack. Please check your local repositories whether I've forgotten any of the already existing samples.
I suggest that we use the Creative Commons Sampling+ 1.0 License as all existing samples are released under that license, which makes it the easiest for all.
Please mention the author of the samples you took and (re)mixed, so we can properly credit them too.

In the coming days I'll talk with the #openttdcoop guys about creating nightlies and making a first release available (via the OpenSFX site and the content download system).
Nightlies can be found at: http://mz.openttdcoop.org/bundles/opensfx/nightlies/
Releases can be found at: http://mz.openttdcoop.org/bundles/opensfx/releases/ and the online content system
Jorito
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jorito »

What about music replacement? Is there a project for that already? Depending on time, music style and other activity I would be interested. Best way would be to use ogg/mp3 files for this (also easiest for me since I used that in other game remakes I contributed music to).
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

I'm not aware of a music replacement project. It's not as important as the graphics and sound replacement projects because you can easily run another music player in the background.

Nevertheless, if you would start a music replacement set I think you should follow the style of the current music, or at least the genres as in the in-game jukebox. Besides that the easiest way, for OpenTTD at least, to play music is via midi as that already works. Any other format will just add more dependencies and maintainance time to OpenTTD.
aapo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by aapo »

I think music replacement project is good idea. Jorito, can you make midi files? Rubidium, is there already way to play (own) midis with jukebox?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

it might just work (tm) if you replace one of the existing files.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Indeed. Unless you dig out my old music patch and update it (in which case you can specify a playlist, etc), you can just play MIDI files by replacing the old ones.

Return to “General OpenTTD”