How To: Generate Superb Heightmaps :)

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

MemphisBelle
Engineer
Engineer

Re: How To: Generate Superb Heightmaps :)

Post by MemphisBelle »

Caesius wrote:I can't get the green buttons to show up for the heightmaps. The "elevation" folder has an animation showing it's loading; right-clicking and going to "Properties" shows the source as http://armadillo.geog.kcl.ac.uk/portal/ ... vation.kmz which times out. I'm pretty sure the server is down, but does everyone else have the same problem?

Hey...can you tell me please how you fixed that issue? I cant get those small green buttons visible/clickable as well, so I dont get the DEM files.
Coxx
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Coxx »

The eastcoast is a nice one, but I feel these hightmap scenarios are quiet often somehow not to scale.

My question is the other way around - is it possible to make an hightmap screenshot of an existing scenario?

Many grf´s only work when starting a new map from scratch. This makes older build maps quite useless. Starting with a hightmap from a old scenario would make a rebuild much easier.
adde
Engineer
Engineer

Post by adde »

Hey there! I have ambitiously thrown myself into a northern Europe scenario project, but to my disappointment it seems like there ain't no srtm data on google earth for Finland nor northern sweden, Iceland or any part of the world north of Helsinki.... This irritates me a lot, does anyone know how to solve this? have I done something wrong?? I really want to finish this scenario!!!!
QOUD ERAT DEMONSTRANDUM
MGSteve
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by MGSteve »

Ah yes, if memory serves, not all of the globe is covered by the DEM data. I think that's what stopped me from doing a Europe scenario earlier.

I've recently got back into OpenTTD a bit and its been a long time since I did any heighmaps, but I now have a craving to do a reall accurate UK map with correctly positioned towns & cities!! I had to re-read my own Tutorial to remember how to get the Heightmaps again!

The next challenge will be to get the town / city data & somehow generate towns at those positions!

If there was some way of importing a list of towns into the scenario editor, that would be ideal! I may have to dust off my C++ and have a botch at adding it in.

Alternatively, I may talk one of the developers into adding it - surely must be easier for them than me! :)

Has anyone done an accurate heightmap for the US yet? I did look at doing it, but the sheer number of DEM files put me off!
MGSteve
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by MGSteve »

You have to love the Internet!

Within 5 mins, I've found a list of cities with their populations (2001 Census) and a way to get the Long / Lat of every town.

Now I just need to work out how to map the Long / Lat onto the Heightmap :?
Patgreg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Patgreg »

Of course what you really want is to be able to play directly on google earth!! :twisted:

SORRY :cry:
nulio
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by nulio »

Hi!

Can anyone make a 2048x2048 map with the Iberian Peninsula?
(rotated in a way to have less water possible and more Portugal and Spain :) )

I would be very grateful! :D
Zhelezaka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zhelezaka »

MGSteve
Thanks for help, great idea.

Tasmania 2048 x 2048

My first try :wink:
Last edited by Zhelezaka on 22 Feb 2010 11:16, edited 1 time in total.
Hamilton2007
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Hamilton2007 »

I made one from Belgium, but the problem is to see where the borders are, anybody some tips ?

My map is more land then anything else, so it's hard to see where to place my cities.
Attachments
screenshot.png
(49.34 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
Belgie.png
(399.87 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by Moriarty »

Per the resquest in another thread, I decided to make one of Estonia. As with belgium, the borders are sort of in hiding. :-)
It's 2048*1024.
I'm placing it in the public domain (as the data it is based on is PD anyway - (NASA)).

Edit: Uploaded a slightly more accurate version.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(86.43 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
estonia-2048.png
(1.04 MiB) Downloaded 131 times
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Moriarty »

Per the request by nulio a few posts up and a few months ago, Spain (The Iberian Peninsula). It does include parts of south france and is actually a 2048*1024 map really.

Placed in the public domain.
Attachments
spain-2048.png
(1.17 MiB) Downloaded 166 times
nulio
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by nulio »

Moriarty wrote:Per the request by nulio a few posts up and a few months ago, Spain (The Iberian Peninsula). It does include parts of south france and is actually a 2048*1024 map really.

Placed in the public domain.
A million thanks! :D

And don't forget Portugal! :P
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Moriarty »

Oh yes, that place too. :-)

Because I'm nice, here's one that more closely matches your original request.
This is just the main peninsula, without the islands to the east. As such it's a square map - 2048 * 2048

And this map too is in the Public Domain.
Attachments
spain-square-2048.png
(1.75 MiB) Downloaded 148 times
nulio
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by nulio »

Thanks again. :D
trainmaster611
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by trainmaster611 »

I hate being a noob at this stuff but I've installed MicroDem (and Google Earth of course) but when I open the SRTM3.kmz file in GE, it'll pull up stuff like the logo but it won't give me a link so I can't download the DEM data.

That being said could someone:

1) Help me solve the problem
2) If not 1, would somebody be so humble as to make me a heightmap from the following coordinates for a 2048x2048 map?
Northwest Corner

66o 37' 58"W
240 05' 32" N

Southeast Corner

102o 0' 0" W
49o 50' 0" N
Thanks! :)
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Moriarty »

I'd make the map for you, but it's for far too large an area - the way I download the srtm data, it'll take hundreds of pieces and that'd take ages to download. If you have something more the size of spain etc, I'd be happy to help with that.
trainmaster611
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by trainmaster611 »

Hmm, what about

Northeast Extent
43o 54' 4" N
69o 10' 6" W

Southwest Extent
37o 59' 31" N
91o 7' 0" W
The N-S extent is smaller than your Spain map but the E-W extent is about 22o. How many downloads would that take? And how are you getting this data?

btw, thanks for doing this! :)
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Moriarty »

Well, there are two sources for the data:
www.landcover.org
Alternately http://seamless.usgs.gov

I then use a super-expensive (but the university is paying so what do I care ;-) ) piece of software to actually do the gluing together, much less effort than the method listed above looks to be.
I'll look into it and get back to you, my connection seems to be going slowly this eve.
kittle
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kittle »

My computer died the other week and I lost a lot of stuff I'd been working on and hadn't got round to backing up. I'm trying to get my heightmaps back but I'm running into the problem a few others have reported where the green dots don't appear on Google Earth, so I can't select any data to download. Nor can I extract any usable data from the two sites Moriarty suggested.

That being said, would it be possible for somebody to create a high quality height map of Wales for me please?
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Moriarty »

Kittle - Pertaining the data not working - maybe you're not able to use geotiff's in whatever application you're using.
Landcover eventually takes you here:
http://glcfapp.umiacs.umd.edu:8080/esdi/index.jsp
Then you select one of the srtms on the left, and use it like a normalish map-viewer.

The other one takes you to:
http://seamless.usgs.gov/website/seamle ... ight=179.5
Click "elevation" on the right and check one of the SRTM's.

Note:
SRTM 1 arc sec = about 30 meters per pixel (only available for usa)
SRTM 3 arc sec = 90 meters
srtm GOPO30 = 1km per pixel - what I'm trying to play with for the USA - The mosaic is about 1.4GB uncompressed.

I do have a heightmap of Wales, the problem is that it's doing the same thing as is happening with my USAmap below for trainmaster. Stupid reclassifications.

trainmaster611 - unfortunately I'm having some problems with the data (it's because converting to greyscale gives only 255 colours, and that is resulting in screwy reclassifying because stuff below about 10 metres is become sea black (sea)). It's on my list of things to figure out, but not too high. Sorry. On the up side, when I do figure it out, you can have your original heightmap request. :-)

Return to “General OpenTTD”