DTRS improvements

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

BlinK_
Engineer
Engineer

DTRS improvements

Post by BlinK_ »

I was playing around with DTRS and I got into some troubles.

First of all if you build a sequence of DTRS in not one line, but in, for example, three, as seen in screenshot. Then arriving vehicles don't always choose the most empty line, causing traffic jams.

Another thing is this. If two vehicles are loading in a line, one after another and the second finishes first. It just stops behind the first one and waits till it finishes loading. It is seen in both screenshots. Vehcile should be able to overtake every still-loading vehcile.

And the final thing, one way roads could be availabe in DTRS. But I guess, it is possible to build one normal one way road on the entrance and one on the exit of DTRS. So this makes Roll In Roll Out station of vehicles.
Attachments
scr1.png
scr1.png (31.39 KiB) Viewed 7159 times
scr2.png
scr2.png (25.82 KiB) Viewed 7161 times
zombie
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: DTRS improvements

Post by zombie »

Hi.

Try to build only one loading bay per line. AFAIK the pathfinder chooses an empty station and not a station with a clear path to it. With a single station per line everything should work fine.

Kind regards

Zombie
OpenTTD: OpenTTD-Wiki
OpenTTDCoop: Blog, Wiki
My favorite patches: cargo destinations, shared infrastructure
Nite Owl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nite Owl »

If you are looking for efficiency then you might want to try something like this. The throughput is good and it is infinitely expandable depending on your needs. Vehicles will still occasionally double up at a single road stop when there is an open slot but it seems to happen less with this design then with any other I have tried.
Attachments
001.png
001.png (13.32 KiB) Viewed 6970 times
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet
------------------------------------------------------------
Brevity is the soul of wit and obscenity is its downfall
--------------------------------------------------------
Good Night And Good Luck - Read You Soon
fabca2
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by fabca2 »

Nite Owl wrote:If you are looking for efficiency then you might want to try something like this. The throughput is good and it is infinitely expandable depending on your needs. Vehicles will still occasionally double up at a single road stop when there is an open slot but it seems to happen less with this design then with any other I have tried.
very interesting, can somebody add this layout to wiki ?
T-Unit
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by T-Unit »

fabca2 wrote:
Nite Owl wrote:If you are looking for efficiency then you might want to try something like this. The throughput is good and it is infinitely expandable depending on your needs. Vehicles will still occasionally double up at a single road stop when there is an open slot but it seems to happen less with this design then with any other I have tried.
very interesting, can somebody add this layout to wiki ?
Yes. Anyone can. Just sign up and start editting.
BlinK_
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BlinK_ »

Thank you for answers.

This design may be better than mine, but still. Since DTRS is a new thing, I mean it wasn't available in TTD, developers should make it as good as possible. So overtaking in DTRS should be possible. And path finder should consider all the stations in other lines.

I just hope developers will notice this.
Fiddler
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Fiddler »

Your design isn't bad ! As Zombie suggested, one loading bay per line is the way to go. In Nite Owl's design, vehicles will use only one direction of the DTRS. As seen on the picture bellow, using both directions is possible, tough a bit tricky. The one way approach might be optically pleasing, but you may already achieve the same efficiency...
Attachments
DTRS.png
DTRS.png (9.55 KiB) Viewed 6522 times
Nite Owl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nite Owl »

I have tried a similar design to the one Fiddler posted but it ran into problems. The vehicles will, generally, choose the shortest path to a DTRS complex and will then only come at it down that one road. This will result in them only using one side of the two way DTRS complex. That is unless you place a DTRS on the unused road and, using the non-stop order, use it as a waypoint for half your vehicles to get to the other side of the DTRS complex. More times then not I only use road vehicles for short haul, small load transfers and do not want to get into anything that complex. Of course to each their own playing style. Whatever works best for you is the way the game should be played by you.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet
------------------------------------------------------------
Brevity is the soul of wit and obscenity is its downfall
--------------------------------------------------------
Good Night And Good Luck - Read You Soon
VoxDissident
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by VoxDissident »

I never started using DTRS for industrial stations until I got some road vehicle sets using articulated vehicles... I'll just say that I was very frustrated when I realized that articulated vehicles can't use the standard road vehicle stations and absolutely have to use the DTRS.

I don't have any screens, but I've definitely been using one way entrances/exits into Ro-Ro complexes of 4-5 stations lines up parallel with only 1 station in each line.

I'll post a screen in a bit if I can get around to it.
Hypolite
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hypolite »

If I can clearly see the benefits of RoRo stations for trains, I'm stuck on the question of this design utility for trucks, because it makes stations 1/2 efficient than if you use both sides.

Speaking of which, standard pathfinding makes DTRS RoRo stations by default.

I think it's much efficient to try making DTRS two way stations, especially with trams in big towns where space is valuable and throughput must be high.
VoxDissident wrote:I never started using DTRS for industrial stations until I got some road vehicle sets using articulated vehicles...
IMO, the standard terminus stop isn't as much efficient as the DTRS even with standard trucks, because of the many turns vehicles must do before/after loading/unloading, and the fact that those maneuvers are blocking arriving/departing vehicles.
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Post by ostlandr »

With the current nightlies, there is a bug with YAPF and road vehicles using drive-through road stops. I switched my RVs to NPF and they started picking empty drive-through bays instead of queueing up at the first one.
Who is John Galt?
frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by frosch »

ostlandr wrote:With the current nightlies, there is a bug with YAPF and road vehicles using drive-through road stops. I switched my RVs to NPF and they started picking empty drive-through bays instead of queueing up at the first one.
That bug has already been fixed.
The remaining problem that roadvehicles do not consider driving around the station to enter a DTRS from the other side, applies to all pathfinders.
⢇⡸⢸⠢⡇⡇⢎⡁⢎⡱⢸⡱⢸⣭⠀⢸⢜⢸⢸⣀⢸⣀⢸⣭⢸⡱⠀⢰⠭⡆⣫⠰⣉⢸⢸⠀⢰⠭⡆⡯⡆⢹⠁⠀⢐⠰⡁
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Post by ostlandr »

Umm. . . I might have just been using the latest Cargodest, which is not updated to trunk recently. . . :oops:
frosch wrote:
ostlandr wrote:With the current nightlies, there is a bug with YAPF and road vehicles using drive-through road stops. I switched my RVs to NPF and they started picking empty drive-through bays instead of queueing up at the first one.
That bug has already been fixed.
The remaining problem that roadvehicles do not consider driving around the station to enter a DTRS from the other side, applies to all pathfinders.
Who is John Galt?
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Post by ostlandr »

One trick I use to get the most out of DTRS is to set up the buses and mail trucks to run in opposite directions. For example, if I have four stations in a town, I run the buses A-B-C-D-(service) while the mail trucks run D-C-B-A-(service).
Attachments
Murphy & Co., 4th May 2000.png
round and round and round they go
(105.53 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
Who is John Galt?
Hypolite
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hypolite »

Nice trick for multiple stations, but for point-to-point transportation, you'll have to play with "go to depot" orders.
frosch wrote:The remaining problem that roadvehicles do not consider driving around the station to enter a DTRS from the other side, applies to all pathfinders.
Using cargodest build, I found out that sometimes, if the road crossing allowing to enter one side of another of the station (same distance) is just near the DTRS, trucks tend to take the less-common direction when general direction is already occupied.
alexanderpas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by alexanderpas »

I noticed this type of station to be working pretty good, and the pathfinder doesn't seem to prefer one side over another.
DTRS.png
DTRS.png (27.5 KiB) Viewed 3953 times
cmoiromain
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by cmoiromain »

That is because the feature to properly handle this kind of layout was introduced in trunk between now and january 2009...
I am little, ugly, and nasty. How do you do?

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”