Project: cargodest

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Forked
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Project: cargodest

Post by Forked »

uhm.. there is no point reporting custom builds like that - they wont be supported. :P

See if you can reproduce the problem in the latest version of cargodest - get it at http://binaries.openttd.org/custom/cargodest/ (latest when posting this is hd6fac260 one). :)
steff
Engineer
Engineer

Post by steff »

I tried with a new version but it would take too much time for the moment. Also I don't know how to reproduce exactly. I think the network with nearly 100 stations could be too big in a way.

Maybe someone else has a savegame created with a "supported build" :)
Wan-To posted one some time ago...
Wan-To
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wan-To »

steff wrote:I tried with a new version but it would take too much time for the moment. Also I don't know how to reproduce exactly. I think the network with nearly 100 stations could be too big in a way.

Maybe someone else has a savegame created with a "supported build" :)
Wan-To posted one some time ago...
I haven't post anything but screenshots... My savegame wouldn't work because of the custom build with daylength and distant join (but I don't think that's problem of daylength, this patch is just about updating "real" date less frequently). Anyway, I stopped playing with cargodest because until the amount of generated passengers aren't changed (especially on small bus stops in large cities), the game is not playable. And I think the amount of passengers for route A->B should be equal to B->A, if it's not yet.
Jans
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jans »

Before this very good project was developed it gave a newpassengerdestination patch. It contains some bugs and didn´t would be comparable to this one. But there was a nice idea. Passenger could change the station by walking. So the can change to a station of another player.
And it would be very nice too, if it is possible to transfer cargo to stations of another player. Not only walking passengers.
Kanibal
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kanibal »

That would happen anyway if this were ever merged with the shard infrastructure system I think. Or that's what I was hoping for at least.
cmoiromain
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by cmoiromain »

Jans wrote:Before this very good project was developed it gave a newpassengerdestination patch. It contains some bugs and didn´t would be comparable to this one. But there was a nice idea. Passenger could change the station by walking. So the can change to a station of another player.
And it would be very nice too, if it is possible to transfer cargo to stations of another player. Not only walking passengers.
I have already requested walking passengers, but this feature won't be implemented: Instead, you might just create a bus network, or a simple shuttle from one station to the other, which is much more interesting.
As of transfering cargo to another player's station, this might be a good thing with the infrastructure sharing patch, this way you could split the network between different companies, one for local bus networks, one for llonger distances (regional trains) and one for the high speed lines...
I am little, ugly, and nasty. How do you do?
Celestar
Director
Director

Post by Celestar »

Merging infrastructure sharing with cargodest at some point is something I have in mind :)

Celestar
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Merging infrastructure sharing with cargodest at some point is something I have in mind
Most excellent, thats what I call a new economy :)
PhilSophus
Chairman
Chairman

Post by PhilSophus »

Wan-To wrote:Anyway, I stopped playing with cargodest because until the amount of generated passengers aren't changed (especially on small bus stops in large cities), the game is not playable. And I think the amount of passengers for route A->B should be equal to B->A, if it's not yet.
I disagree with the tone of your post, so let me first take the chance to say "thank you for this great work, Celestar".

Of course, you have a valid point, those masses of passengers are a bit annoying and I would also like to see this, umm, feature fixed soon (after fixing real bugs of course). But first of all, Celestar already wrote he would do something about this, so let him time (don't forget all developers do the programming for free in their spare time, so please be less demanding).

Second, it does not make the game unplayable. What does it harm after all if 14,000 people are piling up in a station (yes, I've had that, but after improving my network there are less than 9,000 now). So, take it as a challenge for the moment: Look where all those masses want to go and provide relief service for the most wanted hops.
Last edited by PhilSophus on 07 Sep 2008 13:44, edited 1 time in total.
"The bigger the island of our knowledge, the longer the shore of our ignorance" - John A. Wheeler, Physicist, 1911-2008
Celestar
Director
Director

Post by Celestar »

PhilSophus wrote:
Wan-To wrote:Anyway, I stopped playing with cargodest because until the amount of generated passengers aren't changed (especially on small bus stops in large cities), the game is not playable. And I think the amount of passengers for route A->B should be equal to B->A, if it's not yet.
I disagree with the tone of your post, so let me first take the chance to say "thank you for this great work, Celestar".

Of course, you have a valid point, those masses of passengers are a bit annoying and I would also like to see this, umm, feature fixed soon (after fixing real bugs of cause). But first of all, Celestar already wrote he would do something about this, so let him time (don't forget all developers do the programming for free in their spare time, so please be less demanding).

Second, it does not make the game unplayable. What does it harm after all if 14,000 people are piling up in a station (yes, I've had that, but after improving my network there are less than 9,000 now). So, take it as a challenge for the moment: Look where all those masses want to go and provide relief service for the most wanted hops.
Thanks PhilsSophus.

Celestar
Wan-To
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wan-To »

PhilSophus & Celestar: Of course, it's great work. I'm just used to be straight while saying something. In addition, I wouldn't probably write that if all my posts about the bug with stations which don't accept passengers but which should, were not simple ignored. Then the game is really unplayable.

Hmm?
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

Wan-To wrote:PhilSophus & Celestar: Of course, it's great work. I'm just used to be straight while saying something. In addition, I wouldn't probably write that if all my posts about the bug with stations which don't accept passengers but which should, were not simple ignored. Then the game is really unplayable.

Hmm?
Hmm. I completely dispute your claim that the game is unplayable. Really, you're unable to play? Hardly.

As for your bug reports being ignored: No, they're not. I'm just a bystander when it comes to Cargodest work, but even I can see that Celestar is actively addressing bug reports. Of course, yours specifically will be of a lower priority, simply because you're unable to produce useful saved games, which are pretty much essential to debugging. A screenshot, while useful in illustrating symptoms, can't help with diagnosing the underlying cause of any problem. Repetition is key with bug hunting. Once you can reproduce a bug, it's easier to fix it.

So, rather than get all upset, why not try to help out? Run a game using only the one patch (and no newgrfs, for simplicity) specifically to see if you can get a game into a similar problematic state. If you can do that, then post the saved game. In fact, post a couple - preferably before and after things go wrong.

I know it's easy to get frustrated. I know the devs here are utterly sick of my own problems with multiplayer server; I just hope the fact that I'm trying to work on making the problem easy to repeat makes me tolerable. (-:
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
Wan-To
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wan-To »

Ok, fellas, I'm going to download last version and try to reproduce it.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

I found a new problem, station display is not showing transfer passengers. Revision "b4c4fb357db5" (current tip).

Simple passengers transfer station: Little Preningbury <-> Slinton Heights <-> Pintfingford

In the saved game, both trains made one loop without passengers, and have just started their second loop, the first time with passengers.

Also as shown in the pre screen shot, the transfer station is empty, and both trains are non-empty.
In the post screen shot, the train back to Preningbury has unloaded its passengers and is now empty. The other train has picked up the transfer passengers. The 48 passengers it unloaded however, are not displayed.

In fact, the station display of Slinton Heights never displays any passengers.

If you save the game at this point, and then reload, the problem disappears.
Attachments
Little Preningbury Transport, 14th Jun 1950.sav
save game
(59.41 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
pre screen shot
pre screen shot
Little Preningbury Transport, 22nd Jun 1950.png (125.08 KiB) Viewed 803 times
post screen shot
post screen shot
Little Preningbury Transport, 6th Jul 1950.png (127.25 KiB) Viewed 775 times
PhilSophus
Chairman
Chairman

Post by PhilSophus »

Wan-To wrote:Ok, fellas, I'm going to download last version and try to reproduce it.
I don't know, how good you programming skills are. However, there is a not too complicated way to repair the savegame so that it is compatible with unmodified cargodest:
  1. Take a copy of the source code of your modified build
  2. Bump savegame version by one
  3. Replace all savegame entry descriptors introduced by the modified build by a SLE_CONDNULL of the same size, e.g. from the code of my own patch:

Code: Select all

SLE_CONDVAR(Vehicle, timetable_start, SLE_UINT32, [version of modified build], SL_MAX_VERSION),

would become

Code: Select all

SLE_CONDNULL(sizeof(Vehicle::timetable_start), [version of modified build], [version of modified build]),
    You should probably look into the patch to see what was modified and not miss an entry.
  4. Compile, load the savegame, save it.
  5. Take a hex editor. Change the savegame version (should be the sixth byte) to the version of the unmodified build (assuming that the modified build bumped by one, this should be two less than it is now).
  6. Try to load it with the unmodified cargodest build. If it works, post it here.
Edit: Just a side-note: This is only a last resort, if reproducing the bug with an unmodified build does not work as the bug only happens in complex networks. Reproducing it with an unmodified build is of course the preferred measure.
"The bigger the island of our knowledge, the longer the shore of our ignorance" - John A. Wheeler, Physicist, 1911-2008
Celestar
Director
Director

Post by Celestar »

Alberth wrote:I found a new problem, station display is not showing transfer passengers. Revision "b4c4fb357db5" (current tip).

Simple passengers transfer station: Little Preningbury <-> Slinton Heights <-> Pintfingford

In the saved game, both trains made one loop without passengers, and have just started their second loop, the first time with passengers.

Also as shown in the pre screen shot, the transfer station is empty, and both trains are non-empty.
In the post screen shot, the train back to Preningbury has unloaded its passengers and is now empty. The other train has picked up the transfer passengers. The 48 passengers it unloaded however, are not displayed.

In fact, the station display of Slinton Heights never displays any passengers.

If you save the game at this point, and then reload, the problem disappears.
Problem fixed :)

Celestar
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Great!!

I really love the cargodest patch!!!
Too bad my weekend is only 1 day long this week...

Thanks Celestar and Peter1138 !!
Celestar
Director
Director

Post by Celestar »

Btw: Alberth set an excellent example of how a to make a decent bug report:
1) It's not only reproducible, he also says how to reproduce it
2) He clearly states the object and the deviation from the expected behavior
3) He provides a savegame that has the problem isolated.

Result: It took 5 minutes to find the problem and fix it.

If he'd written "The station view doesn't work", the bug would surely not be fixed by now.

Celestar
MJS
Director
Director

Post by MJS »

Is something wrong with PBS in the cargodest builds? I found it didn't always work (trains would wait even though a platform is free), and today I've downloaded hc23c4457 of 7/9 to see if it was a temporary problem - but it's still there.

I attach screenshot and savegame. The savegame has just one train line, with three-platform stations; the middle platform should be shared by both sides, but is in fact ignored by all trains...
Eggeaker Transport, 4th Nov 1970.png
(323.91 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
Steps to reproduce: build any station with multiple platforms, where a standard PBS (not one-way) signal stands between the switches and the platform, of course facing away from the platform. At the entrance of the switching section, place the usual one-way signal. You'll note that trains are very peculiar about their platform preferences...
Attachments
Eggeaker Transport.sav
(290.24 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
bokkie
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by bokkie »

Haven't opened your savegame but sounds familiar to a problem I had, here the answer from Michi_cc:

'The relevant patch setting here is pf.yapf.rail_pbs_station_penalty and not pf.yapf.rail_pbs_cross_penalty. Default is 800.'

So open console with `, then type 'patch pf.yapf.rail_pbs_station_penalty'. Now it gives a value. Somehow it was 2 on my game while it should be 800. To change it, just type 'patch pf.yapf.rail_pbs_station_penalty 800'.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”