Project: cargodest

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Mondane
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Project: cargodest

Post by Mondane »

Then maybe I'm wrong, but are expecting to see something like : 4232 passengers due to arrive add Main station?

I don't know if the cargodests is meant to show that.
Wan-To
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wan-To »

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean... Just some stations don't accept passengers (but they should) so the passengers to these destinations are not generated.

It's on the screenshot how it looks like... There's a station called "Sendton". Passengers travel to two surrounding villages, but not to Sendton, although it's quite big and very close to Prague Main Station.

Code: Select all

(233 passengers going via Sendton)
  (174 passengers to Sendon)
  (59 passengers to Tillygrove)
Also, I was watching some saved games where the network is not so huge and tried to find out where's the problem. Nothing... The traffic network suddenly breaks and stops creating pax to some destinations.
dasy2k1
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dasy2k1 »

I like the look of this,

but how do i get and install the code?

im used to applying diffs poseted on the forum but cant work out how to get patch the trunk code form the sources on the wiki.

a step by step would be usefull here

(assuming standard linux bash terminal)
Celestar
Director
Director

Post by Celestar »

It's all described on the wiki :)

http://wiki.openttd.org/wiki/index.php/ ... tions#Code

Celestar
cmoiromain
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by cmoiromain »

I have a question: does the transfer time count as travel time (ie if a passenger waits a few years at a station before a train picks him up, will the final profit be negative?)
I think the problem with negative income should be looked at. The transfer money does not go into our bank account, but then the second train has a negative profit. so at the end, where does our money come from? We don't get anything, we even lose money! Something is wrong... That's why I guess we should get paid for each transfer, not just the final one. This way, it would be even easier to figure out route that are _really_ unprofitable, not just the ones that seem to be because of that strange behaviour. Also, maybe we should get paid a little less than normal, but still get paid for each transfer.

Maybe someone could explain clearly how the paying system works (with dummy values so I can clearly understand).

Celestar, have you looked at my savegame? What do you think about it?
I am little, ugly, and nasty. How do you do?
dasy2k1
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dasy2k1 »

Celestar wrote:It's all described on the wiki :)

http://wiki.openttd.org/wiki/index.php/ ... tions#Code

Celestar
i managed to fathom it out in the end.
for someone who has not even heard of mercurial before a brief explanation would be a good idea now i know its just another versioning tool like svn or cvs i understand what to do but precious little on their site lets you know that!

just one suggestion so far,
in tree view can you add more of those yellow +- s so you can collapse each level, so you end up with essentially next hop view with them all collapsed but can expand each branch as necessary to look deeper to see where there are capacity issues
erikjanp
Engineer
Engineer

Post by erikjanp »

I came across a bug: when you are autoreplacing vehicles, and the capacity of the new vehicles is smaller than the old, the game crashes with

Code: Select all

openttd: /usr/src/openttd-pax-20080829/src/cargopacket.cpp:324: bool CargoList::MoveTo(CargoList*, uint, CargoID, CargoList::MoveToAction, uint, const Vehicle*): Assertion `this->CargoLeft() != __null' failed.
For instance: when you replace a fully loaded "Dash Diesel plus a passenger car" (=120 passengers) with a shiny new T.I.M. (only the motorcars are replaced, so new capacity is 40 passengers), the game crashes. I guess it is because those 80 passengers that can't get a new seat get very angry...
el koeno
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by el koeno »

cmoiromain wrote:I have a question: does the transfer time count as travel time (ie if a passenger waits a few years at a station before a train picks him up, will the final profit be negative?)
I think transfer time matters.
The transfer money does not go into our bank account, but then the second train has a negative profit. so at the end, where does our money come from? We don't get anything, we even lose money! Something is wrong...
Only your final train loses money. Your bank account doesn't lose any money. If I'm not mistaken, you do get money in the bank, even if it states a negative profit when the train arrives. It's just that your train is losing money. The money goes to its feeder services, but since you own those, you don't lose money. (Apart from running costs of course. If your passengers wait long enough, the payout might not cover running costs and you would indeed lose money.)

Note that I haven't checked your savegame, so I might just be talking nonsense here. :wink:
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

cmoiromain wrote:I have a question: does the transfer time count as travel time (ie if a passenger waits a few years at a station before a train picks him up, will the final profit be negative?)
I think the problem with negative income should be looked at. The transfer money does not go into our bank account, but then the second train has a negative profit. so at the end, where does our money come from? We don't get anything, we even lose money!
Of course you lose money if you leave cargo hanging around. That's always been the case. Try it without the patch. Have a train unload its cargo (at a station that doesn't accept it) and leave it there to get old and tired. Pick it up with another train some months or years later (if it's still there at all) and carry it on to any destination. You just made a loss.

The profit/time graphs are there for you to look at in-game. You can see how much you'll make, delivering something over a certain distance in a certain time. If that income is less than your trains' running costs, you will lose money. It's not a bug, it's business.

If you're losing money with cargo destinations, become more efficient at transporting. You're a transport tycoon, after all.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
cmoiromain
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by cmoiromain »

then what's the point of having fake transfer money so vehicles don't have a negative income, if in the end the result is the same?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

cmoiromain wrote:so vehicles don't have a negative income
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
cmoiromain
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by cmoiromain »

I just said, in the end they do, since the vehicles picking up the transferred passengers have a negative income.
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

cmoiromain, you can't get the maximum company rating unless all your vehicles reach a certain minimum profit. It's for people who care about that, and for people who only want the "train XX made a negative profit" messages only for vehicles that aren't making a profit when they should be.
cmoiromain
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by cmoiromain »

Well, I feel I'm missing something out, but I really don't understand why those vehicles shouldn't make profit...
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

cmoiromain wrote:Well, I feel I'm missing something out, but I really don't understand why those vehicles shouldn't make profit...
What you're missing is that your cargo's journey is paid for once it arrives at its destination. From when you pick it up at its source industry, to when you drop it off at the destination industry. The distance between those two stations, and the time it took for you to make the delivery, determine how much you get paid. Intermediate stops in the journey are irrelevant; the industry doesn't care where its cargo has been, just how long it took you to deliver it.

If you're not using cargo destinations or transfer orders, that lump sum you get, in green, is the fee, and that's what you earned in total.

Yellow figures (transfer fees) are given for transfer orders and with cargo destinations. They are estimates of the cost for that leg only, and are only there for accounting purposes, to ditribute the credit for the profit between all the vehicles that took part. The green figure has all the yellow ones deducted. If that leaves a negative figure, it means all the yellow ones were too high. This usually happens when your cargo does a long way out of its way, or if you take too long delivering it.

Journey A-C, $400.
Journey A-B, would be $500 (B is a long way from A and C)
Journey A-C, via B, looks like $500 followed by -$100 (ignoring losses for it taking longer)
Forked
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Forked »

okies, managed to track down the "No route found!" bug I saw the other day. (Or at least I think I did ;) ).

Version: h:e79bdd2 (fetched from http://binaries.openttd.org/custom/cargodest/he79bdd28/ )
(note: I started this game on an earlier version)

How to reproduce:
Load the attached autosave, look into the train depot right above "Slåttfoten transfer" station name, next to the airport.
Train 66 should arrive in there shortly, it is a dual VT-137 set refitted to mail with one Mail van (main line).
Sell the front engine. You should now have red text in the Slåttfoten Transfer passenger list

Attached is the autosave and my .cfg

NewGRFs used:
ae_cityw.grf
indstatrw.grf
modernsuburban.gif
ae_ruraw.grf
streetlights.grf
ae_subuw.grf
ttrs3w.grf
generics trams v0.4
BKTunw.grf (v0.3b)
DBXL v0.82
foundw.grf
dep2.1w.grf

I'll start a new game now, with a clean cfg and see if I can reproduce it using no newgrfs at all. Will post update
Attachments
openttd.cfg
(7.65 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
autosave4.sav
(513.46 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
Forked
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Forked »

OK. New game (with a tad of money cheating..). The bug is still there.

Version: h:e79bdd2

Bug: No route found! even if the route is there and there are trains that can move the passengers/mail.

How to reproduce:
Load up the attached savegame. Look in Hadlam Train depot. Train 2 should be there (or arrive shortly).
This train has two diesel engines, both can carry stuff. The first engine is unmodified and has passengers. There is one full wagon of mail on it. The second engine (behind) is refit to mail.
Bug Mail: Sell the front engine (the non-refit one) and Mail at Hadam and Marwood will no longer have a route.
Bug Passengers: Refit the front engine to carry mail and then sell it.

I renamed my openttd.cfg , the only thing changed is turning cargodest on for everything..

edit: once the bug is triggered (having the mail wagon in front of train 2 in the depot).. try saving the game and then loading it. Then try and build an engine. This crashes the game.
Attachments
nogrf-testgame4.sav
(94.42 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
fabca2
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by fabca2 »

Forked wrote: Version: h:e79bdd2 (fetched from http://binaries.openttd.org/custom/cargodest/he79bdd28/ )
is this the official version ?
I use to take jub ones, (windows binary)
which is the most up-to-date ? (version numering is so different)
PhilSophus
Chairman
Chairman

Post by PhilSophus »

fabca2 wrote:
Forked wrote: Version: h:e79bdd2 (fetched from http://binaries.openttd.org/custom/cargodest/he79bdd28/ )
is this the official version ?
I use to take jub ones, (windows binary)
which is the most up-to-date ? (version numering is so different)
At least e79bdd28d8bb (which is the complete Mercurial revision ID of the above) is the latest one in the Mercurial repository. So I guess, it is the most up-to-date publicly available version.
"The bigger the island of our knowledge, the longer the shore of our ignorance" - John A. Wheeler, Physicist, 1911-2008
Celestar
Director
Director

Post by Celestar »

Thanks Forked, I'll take a look at it sometime early next week. Still trying to figure out how to solve the payment thingy.

Celestar

Return to “OpenTTD Development”