OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - OpenGFX

Post by LordAzamath »

Isn't it that only the random things in river falls are the static killers?
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

LordAzamath wrote:Isn't it that only the random things in river falls are the static killers?
I would indeed say so, as the rivers are included in openttdw.grf, just as any ottd-specific graphic, and can thus be replaced as such.
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

Aren't the part of openttd(w).grf?

[edit]

Always check for more pages...
Last edited by Mchl on 08 Aug 2008 14:58, edited 1 time in total.
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

The snow and desert checks also kill it.

Looking through openttdw.grf, the river graphics aren't actually included.

Speaking of rivers, I've been playing around with them so that they merge better with the sea (George requested it quite a while ago):
rivers.png
rivers.png (41.7 KiB) Viewed 9832 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

The graphics I think should be included in the OpenGFX grfs are the ones required to replace all graphics included in in trg*r.grf and openttd*.grf - including "non-static" items as they are in effect static because they are features included in the graphics required for openttd. In the end all the current grfs will be distributed to open versions of trg*r.grf and openttd*.grf along with additional grfs containing the advanced features so the distinction of static and non-static will be a moot point.

Action7s to give climate specificity are also static so long as they are used carefully, so those are included in the OpenGFX grfs too.
In game ... : [docks and locks]
I think they look much better than my last attempt, I'm much happier with them...
... so that they merge better with the sea ...
Are those graphics specific to a distance above sea level of 0? Otherwise they'll look wrong on higher slopes...
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

And the steel mill. Not palconverted, and the flowing metal could probably use some action colours added.
Attachments
steem mill 8bpp.png
steem mill 8bpp.png (15.35 KiB) Viewed 9645 times
Steel Mill Preview.png
Steel Mill Preview.png (30.33 KiB) Viewed 9640 times
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

Zephyris wrote:The graphics I think should be included in the OpenGFX grfs are the ones required to replace all graphics included in in trg*r.grf and openttd*.grf - including "non-static" items as they are in effect static because they are features included in the graphics required for openttd. In the end all the current grfs will be distributed to open versions of trg*r.grf and openttd*.grf along with additional grfs containing the advanced features so the distinction of static and non-static will be a moot point.
But in some cases, the graphics in trg*r.grf and openttd*.grf aren't climate specific but perhaps could/should be. The canals for example use the temperate grass as a base and so look a little out of place in the other climates (as can be seen in the intro screen). The new ones not only have different graphics for all climates, but the ones for arctic and tropic also check for snow/desert respectively (that's what makes them static unfriendly).

In the cases where we now have more graphics than was strictly needed to replace the originals (as with the canals and arctic/tropic trains, for example), will only one set be included as standard but the other(s) be made available separately or will the game itself be modified to accommodate all as standard?
Zephyris wrote:
Are those graphics specific to a distance above sea level of 0? Otherwise they'll look wrong on higher slopes...
Of course :wink:
rivers2.png
rivers2.png (26.63 KiB) Viewed 9623 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

In the cases where we now have more graphics than was strictly needed to replace the originals (as with the canals and arctic/tropic trains, for example), will only one set be included as standard but the other(s) be made available separately or will the game itself be modified to accommodate all as standard?
I think they should be included as standard as despite the fact they are not static they behave as static due to the lack of functional changes as a result of climate specificity/varaction2 so can be loaded/unloaded at will. It doesn't require any modification of the game, they can simply be added to the replacement openttd*.grf. Features like tenders for steam trains which are not static would have to be loaded separately as these would break multiplayer between users with original/opengfx graphics.
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

What I'm mainly worried about is the different canal and river graphics used for desert and snow tiles. Effectively, there are two different sets of graphics for the same thing being used simultaneously (I'm probably wrong about that, but that's the way I see it), so it isn't quite the same as using Action7 to differentiate them.

Maybe this isn't really a problem since the game does already know the difference between normal terrain and snow/desert terrain (since there are houses with both snow and non-snow covered variations for example).
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Snow and desert are the same thing according to the game - to make a sprite snow specific you have to make it arctic specific and snow specific, to make a sprite desert specific you have to make it tropical specific and snow specific. Its essentially all action7s still. Does that make sense?
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

Yes. Only reason I keep mentioning the canals/rivers is because I was assuming the game doesn't check for snow tiles for them at the moment (since it doesn't need to). With the new graphics, it does need to.

I guess it's a non-issue if the game doesn't care what sort of graphics it needs to check terrain type on behalf of.

I assure you I'm not being intentionally dense. It's a small miracle though that I manage to get anything done :roll:
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

Sorry for the double post but it doesn't really relate to the previous post.

I have kept all the new water stuff together temporarily.
waterstuff.png
waterstuff.png (44.52 KiB) Viewed 9383 times
OpenGFX_NewWaterFeatures.grf
(193.84 KiB) Downloaded 1732 times
This includes canals, the new locks and docks, aqueducts and height specific rivers. Feel free to chop it up and move stuff to other grfs.

Known bugs:
Rivers leading down to land that has been lowered to sea level but is unconnected to the sea will look a bit silly.

I also updated to landscape grf
OpenGFX_NewLandscape_v0.3.1.grf
(336.44 KiB) Downloaded 1705 times
This now includes the cacti and the three toyland trees that have been drawn so far. The transmitter is not included since Zephyris included it in the airport grf.
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

Triple post :oops: (because of the attachment limit).

Candyfloss forest:
candyfloss.png
candyfloss.png (34.9 KiB) Viewed 9361 times
candyflossforest.grf
(4.16 KiB) Downloaded 1123 times
Regarding the new GUI, the icon for batteries in toyland doesn't match the batteries themselves.
batteries.png
batteries.png (30.75 KiB) Viewed 9361 times
I won't have much access to my PC for the next 12 or so days so anything that needs fixing/updating will be done when I get back.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

?( Where did you get that battery farm? It is old.

Regarding Canals: If it is possible, we should have Toyland specific sprites that match with the dock sprites. Gray doesn't match.

-

BTW: I added the different tree and some minor tweaks on LordAzamath's candyfloss forest.
Details:
1. right tree is somewhat differently colored to add variation (colors used and shape remained the same)
2. removed 2 purple pixels from last stage.
3. recolored 2 pure white pixels in stage 3-one to transparent and other to a darker tone
4. smoothed some edges, as I already said
Attachments
battery_farm.png
battery_farm.png (15.96 KiB) Viewed 9265 times
candyflossforest_tweaked&extratree.png
candyflossforest_tweaked&extratree.png (9.07 KiB) Viewed 9257 times
candyflossforest.grf
(4.34 KiB) Downloaded 821 times
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Timitry
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timitry »

The Forest looks good, although i noticed one ugly edge, see picture...
Attachments
Unbenannt.PNG
Unbenannt.PNG (21.42 KiB) Viewed 9161 times
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

nvm that it's the trunk of the fourth tree in the tile
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I assure you I'm not being intentionally dense.
No worries! It's much better that you understand and agree with me than just nod and go along with me :)
I have kept all the new water stuff together temporarily.
Fair enough, especially if you plan to keep working on the sprites...
I also updated to landscape grf
Awesome, I have meant to do that for a while now!
Regarding Canals: If it is possible, we should have Toyland specific sprites that match with the dock sprites. Gray doesn't match.
It is definitely possible (and quite easy to make the graphics) but not a priority, I would be happier to concentrate on the replacement first then move onto making toyland specific, snowline specific etc. versions of sprites.
BTW: I added the different tree and some minor tweaks on LordAzamath's candyfloss forest.
It's looking good, I'll include that in newIndustries when I code the steel mill.
?( Where did you get that battery farm? It is old.
The newer battery farm can be found here. I will be including this in the next newindustries too.

*edit* I love looking at the wiki page now, there are so many "done"s, it looks amazing!
YukonRob
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by YukonRob »

BUG : In openGFX - newGUI v0.3 the rename group and delete group buttons are reversed.
Cheers,
Rob
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Oops! I will correct that when I complete the GUI with lock, dock and bridge icons.
Zutty
Director
Director

Post by Zutty »

Cool, OpenGFX rivers. :D They look good, but they're awfully straight and neat, like they've been freshly dug with a spade or something.
PathZilla - A networking AI - Now with tram support.

Return to “Graphics Development”