32bit Extra Zoom Graphics Works In Progress

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Wotan
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: [32bpp] Extra zoom levels Graphics

Post by Wotan »

I think the beams going from the arch to the bridge deck are too thick. Making them thinner and adding more detail (like rivets, railings etc) would make the bridge much more realistic.

Take a a look at these pictures:

Coders wanted: Image DSB Litra E in 2cc - Image DSB Litra A in 2cc

ImageUnless stated otherwise all works published by me on these forums is covered by a Creative Commons Attribution Non-commercial share-alike License. Please PM me if you are interested in obtaining a different license.
Slye_Fox
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Slye_Fox »

i'm replicating the orginal bridges, not making real world ones.
Timitry
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timitry »

Fair point, however, i guess you don't have to replicate them 1:1 :-)
In my opinion the beams going from the arch to the bridge deck could be a little less thick, more or less like in the third picture of wotan's post.
But they do look good, and of course it is your choice.
Keep up the good work :-)
Wotan
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Wotan »

Slye_Fox wrote:i'm replicating the orginal bridges, not making real world ones.
You still have a lot of artistic license when going from a 64 px wide tile to a 256 px wide tile.
Coders wanted: Image DSB Litra E in 2cc - Image DSB Litra A in 2cc

ImageUnless stated otherwise all works published by me on these forums is covered by a Creative Commons Attribution Non-commercial share-alike License. Please PM me if you are interested in obtaining a different license.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

I have updated the file Wacki_Tropical_houses_preview.tar. Now It has 10 sprites more and some sprites have been updated. I will update the wiki. I have coded other temperate sprites, but I will wait when their authors allow me to publish it in the forum.
Wacki_Tropical_houses_preview.tar
Preview of Tropical Houses
(1.4 MiB) Downloaded 2783 times
Also, ArmEagle sent me a interesting script that keeps the offsets when a sprite is modified:
ArmEagle wrote:(...)
Name the following something like 'pngcodecconvert.bat' and put it 'next' to pngcodec.exe. Then pass it either 'code' or 'createoff' and a path (to your sprites). 'createoff' will use pngcodec to take out all attributes and store it in the pngcodec.off file (in that path). Then you can edit (one of) your sprites and run it with 'code' [path] to set all attributes back.

Only 'issue' I still have with this thing, is that it stores the complete path in that file, not just the filename. But Windows Batch is a finicky thing, this is all I managed :). It's slightly more useful than just a batch file though.

If you like it, feel free to post it in some 32bpp-zoom thread (though it would rock if that one issue could be taken out).

Code: Select all

@ECHO OFF
SET OFFSETFILE=pngcodec.off
IF [%1] EQU [] GOTO HELP
IF %1 EQU code (IF [%2] NEQ [] (GOTO CODE) ELSE (
	ECHO  ** Error: No path.
	ECHO.
	GOTO HELP
))
IF %1 EQU createoff (IF [%2] NEQ [] (GOTO createoff) ELSE (
	ECHO  ** Error: No path.
	ECHO.
	GOTO HELP
))
GOTO QUIT

:HELP
ECHO %0 code path [offsetfile] ^| createoff path [offsetfile] ^| help
ECHO.
ECHO - code  uses the file pngcodec.nfo in the given path to pngcodec all listed files accordingly.
ECHO - createoff  creates the file pngcodec.nfo with all offsets of the pngs in the given path.
GOTO QUIT

:CODE
REM is a custom filename set?
IF [%3] NEQ [] (SET OFFSETFILE=%3)
REM  chck whether file exists
IF NOT EXIST %2\%OFFSETFILE% (
	ECHO Error. %OFFSETFILE% does not exist.
	ECHO.
	GOTO HELP
)
ECHO pngcodec files in %2\%OFFSETFILE%
FOR /f "tokens=1,* delims=/ " %%a IN (%2/%OFFSETFILE%) DO (
	IF [%%a] NEQ [] (
		IF %%a NEQ # (
			pngcodec r %%a %%b
		)
	)
)
GOTO QUIT

:createoff
REM is a custom filename set?
IF [%3] NEQ [] (SET OFFSETFILE=%3)
ECHO Create nfo.
DEL %2\%OFFSETFILE%
FOR /R %2 %%a IN (*.png) DO (
	FOR /F "tokens=1,*" %%y IN ('pngcodec.exe l %%a') DO ECHO %%a %%z >> %2\%OFFSETFILE%"
)
ECHO  %2/%OFFSETFILE% written.
GOTO QUIT

:QUIT
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

I have coded two models more:
  • 1×1 stumpy by BerberJesus
  • Two houses by Dmh_mac and GeekToo
I have used a gray color (hex: 555151) for the black areas of the base sprites. GeekToo suggested it, and is a very good idea, It is better with transparency. :D
Attachments
1517-1518.tar
Houses
(59 KiB) Downloaded 432 times
licence2.txt
Creative commons license of 1517-1518.tar
(451 Bytes) Downloaded 767 times
1499-1500.tar
1×1 stumpy by BerberJesus
(58.5 KiB) Downloaded 3111 times
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

Here is two screenshots.
Attachments
Screenshot with two houses. It would be interesting a tool to place buildings tile by tile in scenario editor.
Screenshot with two houses. It would be interesting a tool to place buildings tile by tile in scenario editor.
houses.jpg (52.68 KiB) Viewed 8220 times
Houses.
Houses.
houses1.jpg (27.7 KiB) Viewed 8215 times
PouncingAnt
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by PouncingAnt »

Any chance you could get the shadow of the house to fall onto the road? I dunno if that's possible, but I seem to remember trees with shadows that overlapped other tiles some time back.

It looks pretty cool as it is, but especially with the lower image, the contrast between the pavement and the ground around the left side of the house(s) is a bit too sharp, in my opinion.
NB: the below challenges are still open for submission, so feel free to perform necromancy on them!
Try the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge
Or even better, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 2
Or better still, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 3
Or, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 4

Or try my scenario instead!

-(A lazy) OpenTTD Japanese Translator-
-(A lazy) PNGcodec user-
"You get what you pay for, so pay attention!"

Patches:
Company Station Stats
Varivar
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Varivar »

I' ve made a 32bit version of the tropical flat #4
1x1_flats_trop4_32bit.png
1x1_flats_trop4_32bit.png (112.9 KiB) Viewed 7196 times
The balconies of this building should be in company colors, but i have no idea how to do that. Can someone here help me?
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

http://wiki.openttd.org/index.php/Creat ... ny_Colours

But I think there are at least 2 recolour concepts: company colours and recoloration by use of different palettes(in 8bpp), like industry roofs and buildings. Since the flats are not owned by a company, I don't know if CC mask work in that case
Varivar
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Varivar »

GeekToo wrote:http://wiki.openttd.org/index.php/Creat ... ny_Colours

But I think there are at least 2 recolour concepts: company colours and recoloration by use of different palettes(in 8bpp), like industry roofs and buildings. Since the flats are not owned by a company, I don't know if CC mask work in that case
Thanks for the link, I' ll just try it out and I hope I will succeed.

- edit -
I' ve tried it, but there' s a problem. In the section "Automated generation of mask files" stays: "Select the mask mode in the blender_render.py by commenting out the normal mode and "commenting in" the mask mode." (line 9). This screenshot shows that. But on my computer the script looks like this:
Schermafdruk-1.png
Schermafdruk-1.png (11.29 KiB) Viewed 6860 times
The lines where I have to comment in the mask mode is missing. Other parts looks different too. Seems I have a different version of the script (mine is from the link on this page). Any ideas where to get the right version?

- edit2 -
In the attachment are renders from four angles in three zoom modes. I would be very happy if someone here is able to code them for the game. - edit: fixed a light related problem -

- edit3 -
Blend file included.
Attachments
1x1_flats_trop4_blend.zip
(554.63 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
1x1_flats_trop4.zip
(605.62 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
Slye_Fox
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Slye_Fox »

I need some asistance in makeing the bridges

I'm not any good at skining, and unable to resize the .pngs without looseing the alpha layer.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

Slye_Fox wrote:I need some asistance in makeing the bridges

I'm not any good at skining, and unable to resize the .pngs without looseing the alpha layer.
Try it with GIMP, PSP, Photoshop... They can work with alpha layers.
Also, You can upload your PNG here.

Also, I have coded the new Varivar's models and updated the file with Wacki's models, They are very good:
Attachments
Wacki_Tropical_houses_preview.tar
TAR file.
(1.4 MiB) Downloaded 326 times
Varivar_Tropical_houses_preview.tar
TAR file updated.
(188 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
Screenshot
Screenshot
tropical.JPEG (277.59 KiB) Viewed 1157 times
Last edited by maquinista on 11 Aug 2008 16:36, edited 2 times in total.
Varivar
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Varivar »

maquinista wrote:Also, I have coded the new Varivar's models and updated the file with Wacki's models, They are very good:
Thanks a lot, they are very cool indeed. I see that I have to make the building stages of my buildings.
Slye_Fox
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Slye_Fox »

I have photoshop, that looses the alpha layer.

And uploading the .png's dosn't help with skinning the models.
Varivar
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Varivar »

When I look to that screenshot, I see that my buildings are too low, compared with Wacki' s models. So I've made them a bit higher. The tropical flat #3 has more detail now.

I have a question for Maquinista: how did you made the mask file? With Gimp or something similar?
Attachments
4604_z0.png
4604_z0.png (74.79 KiB) Viewed 6599 times
4610_z0.png
4610_z0.png (102.24 KiB) Viewed 6601 times
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

Attachments
Varivar_Tropical_houses_preview.tar
TAR file update.
(183 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
Teemes
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Teemes »

varivar wrote:The lines where I have to comment in the mask mode is missing. Other parts looks different too. Seems I have a different version of the script (mine is from the link on this page). Any ideas where to get the right version?
Whoops, my bad. :oops: When I created the tutorial, I modified the available .blend file to include the python script, but didn't release the updated file as I wanted to get clearance from both the author of the python script (brupje, got clearance from him) and the original author of the default .blend file (Aracirion, I think). Unfortunately, I never heard from Aracirion, and then I got distracted (haven't contributed much, lately). Anyway, as Aracirion's .blend file has been released numerous times because it was used as the template for most .blend files you find on the forums - which has never been an issue - maybe I've been overly reluctant. So here you go, the modified .blend file with the updated Python script. Keep up the great work! :) Sorry for confusing you!

Edit: also updated the wiki
Attachments
12,5m_default.zip
(203.57 KiB) Downloaded 1463 times
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Varivar: Now that I see this thread, I take back what I said in the other thread about the roof. Your roof is excellent.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Varivar
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Varivar »

athanasios wrote:Varivar: Now that I see this thread, I take back what I said in the other thread about the roof. Your roof is excellent.
Thanks :) . I know it is a bit confusing that my buildings are spread through two threads, which is my fault :oops: . From now I will post them here.
Teemes wrote:
varivar wrote:The lines where I have to comment in the mask mode is missing. Other parts looks different too. Seems I have a different version of the script (mine is from the link on this page). Any ideas where to get the right version?
Whoops, my bad. :oops: When I created the tutorial, I modified the available .blend file to include the python script, but didn't release the updated file as I wanted to get clearance from both the author of the python script (brupje, got clearance from him) and the original author of the default .blend file (Aracirion, I think). Unfortunately, I never heard from Aracirion, and then I got distracted (haven't contributed much, lately). Anyway, as Aracirion's .blend file has been released numerous times because it was used as the template for most .blend files you find on the forums - which has never been an issue - maybe I've been overly reluctant. So here you go, the modified .blend file with the updated Python script. Keep up the great work! :) Sorry for confusing you!

Edit: also updated the wiki
Thanks for posting the right version :) . I' ll try it today.

- edit -
How do I open the python script? i can' t find it :( .
Last edited by Varivar on 14 Aug 2008 08:16, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Graphics Development”