OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - OpenGFX

Post by Zephyris »

Well here is a better preview of the bridges, i'll wait untill word on this other wooden bridge before I release the set...
Attachments
bridges preview 2.png
(341.8 KiB) Downloaded 403 times
Pingaware
Director
Director

Post by Pingaware »

Very nice! :D Much better than the originals, especially the cantilever.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Personally I would tweak the yellow pillar of some bridge heads. Too much bright. Seems it is the same with other colors to, but the yellow stands out too much. It is supposed to have some shadow under the head of the bridge.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Hmmm, tis true...
Mikeyspike
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mikeyspike »

I have to say, this project is really looking good.

Keep it up guys!
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

Zephyris: could you show us a preview with high bridges?
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

And I have to say wow, I did not realise we have got that many graphics done already! We are easily over half way, and it all looks like it is going well!

The current big tasks:
GUI
LordAzamath has been doing steady work on this. Support him! Give him little contributions! It is looking very good, and could be finished soon if he gets the support he deserves. See here for the work so far...

Trees
Again this is LordAzamath is the one doing most work on this at the moment. All temperate, arctic and tropical trees are done; the only remaining trees are some Toyland and the cacti. Once these are done then the "New Landscape" GRF is complete... If you want an easy start to sprite drawing then the cacti is probably a good place to start.

Trains
We have a lot of contributions of very good quality graphics, but unfortunately there has been confusion and disorganisation which has lead to the wasting of some graphics. I am looking for someone to adopt the trains and trawl this thread looking for the best of sprites we have available and finalising the set. Hopefully this will be quite an easy job :) If you need any extra train graphics DanMacK is probably the guy to be in touch with, he is an awesome sprite drawing machine!

Road vehicles
All road vehicles are drawn and coded, but look a little plain. It would be great if someone could adopt the road vehicles and add little details to bring the sprites up to scratch. I may be able to help with this.

Infrastructure
This is my project, and I aim to get it to 100% complete soon! By 100% I mean all tracks, bridges, stations, depots, airports, ports, locks, etc. Hopefully it shouldnt take too long...

Industries
Again I would like to keep working on this myself. Its hard work but I think I have the hang of churning out the sprites now!

Toyland
Buttercup and athanasios are slowly but steadily drawing and coding the toyland town buildings... If you want to practice your surreal pixel pushing skills then help these two!

And the future:
Towns towns towns
You will have probably seen my newbuildings, what needs to be done next is the selection of the best and coding of them via simple sprite replacement. If anyone wants to draw modern buildings all help would be greatly appreciated. Don't make the mistake I made, select a building and draw its replacement, then move onto the next. I like my newbuilding sprites, but they are not ideal for this project...

Ships and Planes
Sooo, any takers? This would be a tough task...

Faces
Aaah, the company faces! We have been given permission to convert the 32bpp ones from the blender thread, I have done some work on this but it is tricky... We also only have no african faces...

Anyways thats enough chat from me, why am I typing when I could be drawing! Hopefully this will get people up to date with the thread without having to read pages and pages of talk.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Zephyris: could you show us a preview with high bridges?
I'm thinking of changing the cantilever and suspension supports...
Attachments
tallbridges.png
tallbridges.png (37.25 KiB) Viewed 5220 times
lead@inbox
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by lead@inbox »

Zephyris - about ships. It is necessary to classify them, at least a little bit
example:
tankers (capacity a,b ..n)
containers and dry cargo (capacity a,b ..n)
passangers (capacity a,b ..n) and etc.
what about 2 types - sea (100% speed in sea and 20% in canals) and river (and vice versa)
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

lead@inbox wrote:Zephyris - about ships. It is necessary to classify them, at least a little bit
example:
tankers (capacity a,b ..n)
containers and dry cargo (capacity a,b ..n)
passangers (capacity a,b ..n) and etc.
what about 2 types - sea (100% speed in sea and 20% in canals) and river (and vice versa)
That's for OpenGFX+ I presume? :P

Zeph: cantilever supports really need some work...
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

exactly.. don't forget that OpenGFX is sprite replacement only. ;) Plus something like you're suggesting with speed on canals/rivers isn't doable by a newGrf at all iirc.
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

I'd be happy to consolidate the trains and see what needs to be done still.

Due to the fact that Arctic and Tropic share the same locos, they would be different in OpenGFX+, but not OpenGFX.

Also, re: ships - There are only 4 spritesets for ships, the tanker, bulk carrier, ferry and hovercraft. ther 2 generations of ships share the same graphics, is this the case for Open GFX as well or do we want different graphics for each?
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

DanMacK wrote: Due to the fact that Arctic and Tropic share the same locos, they would be different in OpenGFX+, but not OpenGFX.
Well action7 (separation per climate basis) is allowed so we could have different sprites anyway :P

Zephyris, ok, I'll complete toyland trees, but dont' think I've been doing something with GUI lately. I've been learning lua :P.So organizing GUI is free to take. I'll make the toyland trees soon I hope..

And what about the mall thingie I gave in this thread? I think that if you shade it a bit better, it would fit to opengfx too..
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Well action7 (separation per climate basis) is allowed so we could have different sprites anyway
In the end all that can be directly included is what will fit in the trg*r.grf files, so no action7s to add climate specificity etc. Anything outside of that (rivers, canals, extended coastlines, etc. etc.) has to be a "+" file of some description. Therefore ships only requires 4 sprites! Just hard ones to draw... Having said that (eventually) an extended set of ships in the same style would be excellent.
I'd be happy to consolidate the trains and see what needs to be done still.
Excellent, its a tedious job :)
Mmm, its just a pain alignments-wise!
And what about the mall thingie I gave in this thread?
Is on my todo list, I'm just trying to get things moving again before playing with it...
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

Zephyris wrote:
Mmm, its just a pain alignments-wise!
I actually had the general look on mind. They seem to be very massive compared to other bridges' supports (pillars?)
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Ah, I wasnt clear. I was saying yes they do need a redraw, the only hard thing about drawing narrower supports is fighting the offsets!
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

And just to finish today here are the sprites for the paper mill for coding! It's not amazing, I need to get back into the swing of drawing, but should do... It hasn't been checked for action colours so may do with palconverting.
Attachments
Paper Mill 8bpp.png
Paper Mill 8bpp.png (18.17 KiB) Viewed 703 times
paper mill preview 2.png
paper mill preview 2.png (46.05 KiB) Viewed 4835 times
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

I always feel like I'm taking advantage of the fact that I browse these forums so frequently, and that I get (the easy) things coded before anyone else has a chance, but here you go...
papermill.grf
(20.35 KiB) Downloaded 1019 times
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Like the paper mill :D Looks awesome people!
lead@inbox
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by lead@inbox »

It is a draft variant. It is published to look - whether I think in a correct direction. There are variants of the paints used in model below
b0000.png
b0000.png (18.75 KiB) Viewed 4663 times
schema
schema
bakewell.png (27.5 KiB) Viewed 4673 times
pal.png
pal.png (2.91 KiB) Viewed 4673 times

Return to “Graphics Development”