You can have 65535 types of vehicles to choose since r12924!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

You can have 65535 types of vehicles to choose since r12924!

Post by Digitalfox »

Thanks to peter1138 and his incredible work, since revision 12924 you can now have a total of 65535 type of vehicles to choose to build.. :bow:

For NewGRF Developers and Coders:

What does this mean?

It means theres no longer the NewGRF limit of 11 ships, 41 Planes and helicopters, 88 Road vehicles and 116 Trains+Wagons..

You can now have for example 10000 ships, 10000 planes, 10000 Road Vehicles + Trams and 10000 Rail Engines + Rail Wagons to choose from to build..

It's now up to NewGRF coders to decide how many they want to have in game and no longer they have the problem of reaching the limit easily..
According to peter, coders can just assign more vehicle IDs in their set or they can of course split the set if they want...
So for easy understanding this means you can have a single NewGRF file with for example 500 Rail Engines + Rail Wagons, you just have to just assign more vehicle IDs...

For Players wanting to have multiple sets of vehicles available to build at the same time:

In Patches Menu if you activate in the tab Vehicles the option " Enable multiple NewGRF engine sets " you can have all the vehicles set's you want at the same time to choose and play with..

For example you can load Planeset and AV8 at the same time with no problems and all the planes and helicopters will be available to build..

Another example is UKRS and US Train Set, all the Trains and Wagons from this 2 sets will be available to build..

You can have more than 2 set's at the same, and it doesn't matter if they are planes, trains, ships or road vehicles..
Hey I have right now 5 Train + Wagons sets loaded, 2 planes sets loaded and 3 road vehicles sets loaded ;)

Now go and load many vehicles sets at the same time and enjoy it :)

Also here is a GRF that will also allow original vehicles to appear even with multiple NewGRF sets loaded.

Use the attach file made available by peter ;)

To use this new feature you need to have at least nightly r12932 or newer available here http://www.openttd.org/nightly.php
Attachments
example.PNG
example.PNG (23.73 KiB) Viewed 24794 times
origengs.grf
To have original vehicles also loaded and available to build!! Update 07-Sep-2008: Thanks to cnww for updating the GRF and fixing the problem of not loading cargo!!
(375 Bytes) Downloaded 857 times
Last edited by Digitalfox on 07 Sep 2008 15:00, edited 12 times in total.
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: You can have 65535 types of vehicles to choose since r12924!

Post by DeletedUser5 »

Thanks peter1138 for that. Now, I can finally play with both grvts and generic trams set.
Startrekkevster
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Startrekkevster »

hi.does anybody know how can enable this as my version of openttd doesnt have a csv file for it :? :?

thanks k.wilson
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

:bow:

Although I still reckon not much beats the style and longevity of a good old Class 37, I wouldn't mind seeing how this will affect the future additions to the engine sheds.

:bow: for those who missed the first one. :mrgreen:
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

OMG This is so SWEET!!!
Peter, thanks a LOT for this wonderful feature!

I bet that all vehicle sets will consist out of multiple files in the near future, instead of just one. :mrgreen:
Startrekkevster wrote:does anybody know how can enable this as my version of openttd doesnt have a csv file for it
There's no comma seperated value file (if that's what you meant). You need to get the latest build (e.g. using buildottd) or wait for tonight's nightly. Then activate the apropriate setting in openttd.cfg. Keep in mind that openttd.cfg is created as soon as you start the game for the first time, then exit, change config and restart.
Startrekkevster
Engineer
Engineer

sorry to bother u again.ive downloaded latest OTTD version which now comes with csv file but now in file theres no "dynamic engine" option to change. does this need to be added & if so under which part in the csv does it go. thanks again.
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Digitalfox »

Startrekkevster wrote:sorry to bother u again.ive downloaded latest OTTD version which now comes with csv file but now in file theres no "dynamic engine" option to change. does this need to be added & if so under which part in the csv does it go. thanks again.
You will need at least to compile r12924 or be using the nightly from 30 of April ( Will available at 19:00 GMT, more or less in 2 hours ;) )

Update: Oh well just use my OTTD build ;)
Attachments
r12928_Win32.zip
Just overwrite you instalation with this ;)
(2.8 MiB) Downloaded 536 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

How does this work for set coders? Do we assign more VehicleIDs (just counting from where the limit was), or does a .grf still limit to 116 RailVehIDs and we need to make more .grfs which can be combined in OpenTTD? (I guess that ensures TTDPatch compatibility).

Oh, and indeed, awesome work!
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Digitalfox »

Acording to peter, purno:

" coders can just assign more vehicle IDs in their set, they can of course split the set if they want "
PhilSophus
Chairman
Chairman

Post by PhilSophus »

Is it possible to combine the original vehicles with some from NewGRFs? From a first look, it doesn't seem so, or am I missing something? That would be great for e.g. monorail vehicles, which no train set I know has.

Nevertheless, enginepool is a great improvement :D
"The bigger the island of our knowledge, the longer the shore of our ignorance" - John A. Wheeler, Physicist, 1911-2008
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Digitalfox »

PhilSophus wrote:Is it possible to combine the original vehicles with some from NewGRFs? From a first look, it doesn't seem so, or am I missing something? That would be great for e.g. monorail vehicles, which no train set I know has.

Nevertheless, enginepool is a great improvement :D
If you load one of the original grf, for example original trains it will load by side of other newgrf ;)

So you will have original trains and new newgrf trains ..

Use the attach file made available by peter :)
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Startrekkevster wrote:sorry to bother u again.ive downloaded latest OTTD version which now comes with csv file but now in file theres no "dynamic engine" option to change. does this need to be added & if so under which part in the csv does it go. thanks again.
What's your definition of "latest version", as that can be at least four different versions (gosh, I think I start to sound like Dalestan now :D ):
- 0.6.1 RC1
- latest nightly (r12919)
- latest build (r12930)

Only the last 'latest version' will give you the dynamic engines feature.

And really, last time I checked, OTTD didn't come with a csv file :?

@Digitalfox:
Thanks for the build. Really saves me the hassle of installing bottd on my parents computer.
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

HOLY FECKING MOTHER OF GOD! This is awesome!

A thousand internets and unlimited willing virgins for the development team!
Retired JapanSet developer and creator of TIAS.
Startrekkevster
Engineer
Engineer

new version i have called CIVr12918. dunno if this helps
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Digitalfox »

Startrekkevster wrote:new version i have called CIVr12918. dunno if this helps
Are talking about Community Integrated version??? :|

That version doesn't have this feature right now..

Just download the build I posted and use it to try this new feature :)
Startrekkevster
Engineer
Engineer

ive downloaded the version from the link above but in game it comes up as r12924 but the file name is r12928 :?
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Digitalfox »

Startrekkevster wrote:ive downloaded the version from the link above but in game it comes up as r12924 but the file name is r12928 :?
It doesn't mine..

That was just because in trunk from 12925 to 1928 where NOAI commits that don't mean anything to trunk..
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Digitalfox wrote:You can now have for example 10000 ships, 10000 planes, 10000 Road Vehicles, 10000 trains, 10000 Wagons and 10000 trams
No, you can't. At most, you can have 16384 total rail engines+rail wagons. And the same for roadvehicles+trams.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Startrekkevster
Engineer
Engineer

so does it need r12928 for the vehicle things to work properly? in this 1 it replaces certain vehicle instead of adding them on :(
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Digitalfox »

Startrekkevster wrote:so does it need r12928 for the vehicle things to work properly? in this 1 it replaces certain vehicle instead of adding them on :(
No my build works right.. You just have to activate in openttd.cfg the switch..

Return to “Graphics Development”