OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

sickie
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - OpenGFX

Post by sickie »

Smoothsnow (the last of snowy images posted) is sexiest.
lordy, is your name Madis (you sometimes end your posts with madis)? Asking because it's a really nice word and I never heard it before. If it's a name, it is a very nice name... it sounds somehow poetic to me.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I have got so sidetracked by drawing buildings!
I have thought about making more realistic shops - these are designed to be more representative of real life shops... They are very WIP, and still need a single storey extension at the back, but you get the idea...

Do you like? I am considering recruiting a coder from the ttdpatch graphics forum to code a proper new buildings set like the NA city set...
Attachments
Old Shops.png
Old Shops.png (34.59 KiB) Viewed 6734 times
mph
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mph »

I like the idea of these very much.

I can't believe how fast you can draw!
previously known as daylight
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

sickie wrote:Smoothsnow (the last of snowy images posted) is sexiest.
lordy, is your name Madis (you sometimes end your posts with madis)? Asking because it's a really nice word and I never heard it before. If it's a name, it is a very nice name... it sounds somehow poetic to me.
Kinda yes.. [pfft anonymous web ftw] :P
Last edited by LordAzamath on 28 Nov 2008 17:41, edited 1 time in total.
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

WOW! Lots of awesome graphics around here lately, I must say... And with all them nice buildings, I can't wait untill someone feels the gutz to have a go at a new headquarter :P

Personally, not looking at scale, I really like the different houses in tropical much better than the temperate ones... Maybe becoz they look nice, and they are so big you can easily see some of the details on them. Since everything else is not in scale in this game, maybe we sholdnt pay *that* much attention to scale? I mean, the scaled houses arent far from the trains in size, and thats not realistic... If we want the houses correct scale, like that small, we must have bigger trains too :wink: So maybe scale shouldnt be the most important thing to take into consideration when replacing the graphics... Not everything in the game uses the same scale, and we cant fix that by replacing the graphics... (trains ie).

Oh well, I think my point/view is, keep them graphics coming and lets worry more about looks then about scale... :)
..: Trond :.. because you deserve it! Image

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

LordAzamath, those houses... You folks are insane with how many quality pixmaps you're all pushing out.

I'm not volunteering to code, I have too many commitments, and I'm too damned lazy, but as a connoisseur of fine house newgrf's, I really really love what you've got going. Don't stop now, housing and building variety has long been a major annoyance of mine with the TTD and the big sets (TTRSv3 and NABS/NACS aren't innocent of it either. Japanset was doing pretty well for housing, but it's not entirely innocent).

Edit: ARGH! You drew them didn't you, Zephyris?! I'm an arsehole, sorry for that! And for not reading! I was too blown away by the awesome graphics. Honestly! :P
Last edited by Aegir on 05 Mar 2008 06:36, edited 1 time in total.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Zephyris, they're looking good :D They seem a bit narrow on the ends, but I believe that's realistic is it not?

Looking forward to more.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Re: DanMacK
They are all modeled (loosely) on real buildings, so yes, they are realistic! I havn't done the backs of the shops yet, which will have additional ~2 storey sections with sloped roofs and single storey extensions with flat roofs, this will diminish the visibility of the narrow ends.

There will also be bigger shop/office blocks which are much deeper...

Re: Trond
These houses are 6px a storey = ~2px a meter => each tile is ~16m along each edge. A typical vehicle is 14x6x6px = ~7x3x3 meters. That is about as close to in scale the game can ever be, I can see why athanasios likes it so much! I do agree with your point though, consistency and good looks are far more important than 100% realism.
Eddie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Eddie »

Smaller scale houses have always been something I'd like to see in TTD purely because it seems so mind boggling to have a population of tens of thousands in a town with only around 20 houses.
Nite Owl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nite Owl »

I have always liked the transmitter tower posted here. It does look a bit too modern for the early years but perhaps it might be useful for the +pack. Since it is on Born Acorn's website I am guessing either he put it together or should know who did put it together. Download it and check it out. Be sure to turn the "Full Animation" option on so you can see the flashing lights.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet
------------------------------------------------------------
Brevity is the soul of wit and obscenity is its downfall
--------------------------------------------------------
Good Night And Good Luck - Read You Soon
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

Nite Owl wrote:I have always liked the transmitter tower posted here. It does look a bit too modern for the early years but perhaps it might be useful for the +pack. Since it is on Born Acorn's website I am guessing either he put it together or should know who did put it together. Download it and check it out. Be sure to turn the "Full Animation" option on so you can see the flashing lights.
Maybe it can be made in such way that when time goes past a certain year, the transmitter updates. :?: :)
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Well, personally I really like this transmitter made by Lordazamath. Cant you make an 8bpp out of that and include that one lord?
..: Trond :.. because you deserve it! Image

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I have streamlined my drawing process for the town buldings, so if anyone would like to contribute it is now easy to!

For your bulding you will need to provide single drawing with the three building stages (see below for an example), the rules for the drawing are:
* Use the colours shown below
* Use a 6 px per storey scale
* Provide a sihlouette of where the windows/doors should go on the complete building

The colours need to be:
* South-East facing external wall: Red
* South-West facing external wall: Green
* South-East facing internal wall: Purple
* South-West facing internal wall: Blue
* Upward facing wall edge: Brown
* South-East facing sloped roof: Orange
* South-West facing sloped roof: Yellow
* Floor: Maroon
Using these colours means you don't have to worry about textures or colours - it is easy for me to generate textures for the different surfaces en-mass. Multiple "colour schemes" can also be easily generated - brick, stone, limestone, tiles, thatch, concrete etc. Represent any company colour areas with a shade of grey.

*edit* Corrected West and East, pointed out by richk67 below...

The recomended scale is 6px per floor, made up of:
* 1px wall
* 3px window
* 1px windowsill
* 1px wall
Bottom
Variation to 5 or 7px per floor can be used, but sparingly - eg. 7px for the ground floor of some shops and 5px for some attic rooms.

Please contribute! Even if you think a building isn't any good even the basic shape can be very useful. It is literally no extra effort to texture 1000 buildings instead of 10, so please do as many as possible! Also, if you feel like drawing one of the industries which you think could be textured in this way (eg. food processing plant, printing works, etc.) please do! Buildings for any climate can be submitted too, I will be generating snow covered versions of all the graphics too...
Attachments
Contributing buildings.PNG
Contributing buildings.PNG (961 Bytes) Viewed 5706 times
Last edited by Zephyris on 05 Mar 2008 14:47, edited 1 time in total.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

That looks so simple even I may give it a go...
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Directions are:

Code: Select all

N
  |
W---E
  |
  S
where N is the top peak of the basetile.
[edit] snipped incorrect stuff now original corrected. :)
Last edited by richk67 on 05 Mar 2008 15:15, edited 2 times in total.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

yup, I really did mean that :( oops!!!! I shall edit it to remove condfusion
Samwise
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Samwise »

So something like this..?
Attachments
Contributing buildings.PNG
Contributing buildings.PNG (1.06 KiB) Viewed 5548 times
Connum
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Connum »

Contributing to the graphics without caring about the textures???

Sounds great! :-) I'm looking forward to contributing!
English is not my native language, so please excuse me if I sometimes might appear a bit harsh or if I make a spelling or grammar mistake!
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Re: Darkmast49
So something like this..?
Yup, something exactly like that! :D
Connum
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Connum »

I created a .PSD with auto-coloring layers. Just draw with the pencil-tool on the appropriate layer and it will have the right color.
Attachments
OTTDbuildings.zip
(17.71 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
English is not my native language, so please excuse me if I sometimes might appear a bit harsh or if I make a spelling or grammar mistake!

Return to “Graphics Development”