OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - Revived

Post by Zephyris »

Re: DaleStan
I have always been quietly concerned about the game sounds, I wasn't sure where they were loading from had come from!

Re: lordazamath
The sprites are in the windows palette, I'm not sure what differences are in the toyland palette but it hasn't caused me problems so far.
Sprites 1005-1010 and their monorail and maglev equivalents can be the same as the ones I have made for other climates.
I was too lazy to make the blinking ones (same with newinfrastructure v0.2) just code the non-blinking graphics to both places and I'll add the blink later.

And another technical question: What are all the pink special colours for in the windows palette? I know entries two and three are font colour and font shadow respectively but what are the others!
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

newTerrain v0.4
Fixes ugly grid lines on shore tiles
Adds snow in temperate sprites (not supported in yet, see by starting a sub-arctic game and switching climate to temperate)
Adds complete shore line sprites (needs testing, still not in nightlies?)
Attachments
OpenGFX_-_newTerrain_v0.4.grf
(807.17 KiB) Downloaded 9340 times
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

Zephyris wrote:Adds snow in temperate sprites (not supported in yet, see by starting a sub-arctic game and switching climate to temperate)
Adds complete shore line sprites (needs testing, still not in nightlies?)
Beautiful snow in temperate. Shore line don't work - still not in nightlies. Here's a screenshot of beatiful temperate climate with snow. :D
Attachments
Unnamed, 1th Jan 2000.png
Unnamed, 1th Jan 2000.png (261.69 KiB) Viewed 36010 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I have just confirmed the shore line works in TTDPatch, so is evidently not complete in OpenTTD nightlies yet...
Attachments
complete shore.png
complete shore.png (33.89 KiB) Viewed 35829 times
Loop
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Loop »

Wow, just wow. The snow in temperate looks amazing. And the shores are also beautiful. You just have to love this project :-) Great work guys, keep it up!
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Ok.. I finished coding a few hours ago, but there is one problem... Toyland tunnels won't show :( Everything else works perfectly. I tested in TTDP too, but no difference.. I anyone could look at the sourse of this, I would be thankful.

The pcx for commented nfo:
toyland.pcx
(185.29 KiB) Downloaded 470 times
EDIT:
Ok.. I found out the fault:
http://pastebin.com/pastebin.php?diff=m697a4d8eThis will be there for one month (starting from today :)

The grf:

EDIT: To stop you downloading this bugged grf, I'll remove it.. The right one is few posts below.

madis.

EDIT: Zephyris, you had some errors in the png and the order was wrong.. I corrected some things..

EDIT2:
Since today the trunk has rivers in it... It will use canal graphics, if rivers grf is not supplied.. Zephyris, will we support rivers too?
Last edited by LordAzamath on 19 Jan 2008 23:30, edited 1 time in total.
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

It only seems sensible, what are the rivers like? Literally canals with alternative graphics? Those graphics would be quite simple to do, I plan to try the canals soon too...

Code debugging:
Line 15.

Code: Select all

20 93 0d                                    //Sprites 2365-2396 -> 32 sprites -> All tunnels
Should be:

20 3D 09                                    //Sprites 2365-2396 -> 32 sprites -> All tunnels
I really recommended using the escape sequence \w (ie. \w2365) instead of hand converting to hex...

*edit* Bridges:
I have done a massive push on bridges and have made a template for coding graphics, so it will now be really easy to put them into the game :). Unfortunately I am rubbish at drawing the sprites, so would be very grateful if someone would give it a go! All I need are the two orientations of the bridge structure, I will do the rest. See the example for the Steel Girder bridge attached. Note the palette - the suspension, cantilever and tubular bridges must use those reds...
Attachments
Bridges Previerw.png
Bridges Previerw.png (45.01 KiB) Viewed 35338 times
Bridge Girder Steel 2.png
Bridge Girder Steel 2.png (1005 Bytes) Viewed 35316 times
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Zephyris wrote:It only seems sensible, what are the rivers like? Literally canals with alternative graphics? Those graphics would be quite simple to do, I plan to try the canals soon too...

Code debugging:
Line 15.

20 93 0d                                    //Sprites 2365-2396 -> 32 sprites -> All tunnels
Should be:

20 3D 09                                    //Sprites 2365-2396 -> 32 sprites -> All tunnels
I really recommended using the escape sequence \w (ie. \w2365) instead of hand converting to hex...
By the time you posted it, I already had found the fault when I tried to explain what's wrong to Maedhros, and spotted the fault myself :D
Unfortunately I am rubbish at drawing the sprites, so would be very grateful if someone would give it a go!
He lies!!

The toyland infrastructure grf.. And about the junction sprites (remember I told you don't have them :D) I think it's more useful to define them all at one time and to all climates (eg no action07).. What do you think Zephyris? Next infrastructure release will come with junctions to all?

EDIT: Forgot to add grf :D
OpenGFX_-_newInfrastructure_-_Toyland_v0.1.grf
(153.59 KiB) Downloaded 1248 times
About rivers.. You can examine the rivers grf which was avilable for TTDP only, but now is usable for trunk too :)

madis
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

lordazamath wrote:About rivers.. You can examine the rivers grf which was avilable for TTDP only, but now is usable for trunk too
May I politely point out that the .grf in question (rivers[w].grf) is copyrighted material? So don´t "examine" it too closely, in a way that it will come out similar like the original. :mrgreen:

regards
Michael
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

newInfrastructure v0.3
Includes:
Road, Rail, Monorail and Maglev including tunnels, level crossings and fences in all climates.
Road, Rail, Monorail and Maglev stations in temperate, sub-tropical and sub-arctic.

Bugs:
Level crossing lights don't flash.
Attachments
OpenGFX_-_newInfrastructure_v0.3.grf
(844.28 KiB) Downloaded 1933 times
newInfrastructure 0.3.png
newInfrastructure 0.3.png (332.96 KiB) Viewed 35307 times
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

michael blunck wrote:
lordazamath wrote:About rivers.. You can examine the rivers grf which was avilable for TTDP only, but now is usable for trunk too
May I politely point out that the .grf in question (rivers[w].grf) is copyrighted material? So don´t "examine" it too closely, in a way that it will come out similar like the original. :mrgreen:

regards
Michael
I was more of thinking how to code it.. What actions or something like that.. Not graphics.. And if it's all up in specs (havent checked yet) then no looking up might be
needed. :)

EDIT: Zephyris, what do you think of when we get this thing almost done, giving the #coop alpha grf to test final things out before we try to convince devs to include it in installers? Osai mentioned this to me and I (being a coop player :D ) support the idea, once we are ready enough..

madis
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Zephyris wrote:The sprites are in the windows palette, I'm not sure what differences are in the toyland palette
The water cycle colors.
Zephyris wrote:I know entries two and three are font colour and font shadow respectively but what are the others!
You mean entries 1 and 2, not 2 and 3. The remaining entries, 3-9 and 246-254 are just bright pink.

EDIT: Bum quote trimming.
Last edited by DaleStan on 20 Jan 2008 02:00, edited 1 time in total.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Gonozal_VIII
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gonozal_VIII »

Here's a Gimp palette that I made based on http://wiki.ttdpatch.net/tiki-index.php ... oordinates
Attachments
TTDw.zip
(1.52 KiB) Downloaded 1085 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Surely those spare colours could be used for new special effects? I guess no sprites actually use them (apart from possibly toyland) and they could be used for lightening or darkening (shadows/lights) and transparency simulation (station roof) etc...

Re: lordazamath
Coop testing is definitely a good plan - and could start soon, for example the terrain graphics really are "complete". Testing of the final trg*r.grfs (assuming this is the application method chosen) could start later once the alpha of the complete graphics is done.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Ooops:
Some rail fences are buried in the ground. Wrong code for some fences on slopes. :mrgreen:
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Apologies to athanasios, I forgot his road depots - they will be included!

Properties of the fences bug, its all due to foundations:
Attachments
Foundation+Fence Bug.png
Foundation+Fence Bug.png (32.44 KiB) Viewed 34488 times
Foundation+Fence Bug 2.png
Foundation+Fence Bug 2.png (24.97 KiB) Viewed 34338 times
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

just a question, why dont we make much prettier foundations? The old ones are butt ugly, and the new ones seems to be "ripped" from the old ones. Why not some kind of brick setup, or something similar to the "new foundations"?? http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=28049
Member of the
ImageImage
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Yep, valid suggestion. I agree.
Zephyris: Sorry for blaming the code. :oops: I should blame the foundations instead. :mrgreen:

regards
athanasios
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Re: 7of9 and athanasios
Sure! I'll make some brick foundations... Could always be an parameter controlled optional extra to have old style/new foundations...

Fonts, again. So... lordazamath, do you want another fun piece of coding? Newspaper font - based on Garamond, but with much pixel tweaking. Slightly smaller than the original font, to allow better accents, etc., and more proportional width. All sprite offsets should be x = 0, y = 2 (or is that -2? try 2 first :) ). png and pcx attached, png to look at, and pcx to use if the png has a messed up palette...
Attachments
Newspaper Font.pcx
(25.4 KiB) Downloaded 364 times
Newspaper Font.png
(14.17 KiB) Downloaded 412 times
prissi
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by prissi »

I could donate foundations from the simuttd projekt. These are made by me from simutrans graphics, thus I am the copyright holder. So they are free.
Attachments
with bricks
with bricks
ls-brickslope.png (6.46 KiB) Viewed 33771 times
without bricks
without bricks
ls-slope.png (7.15 KiB) Viewed 33726 times
I like to look at great maps and see how things flow. A little like a finished model railway, but it is evolving and actually never finished. http://www.simutrans.com

Return to “Graphics Development”