OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

mph
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - Revived

Post by mph »

SAC isnt really around anymore, and also stolen trees only has fully grown versions, so I had a little go at a tree myself. I have been meaning to for a long time.
Just thought i'd see whether you like the style and if i should continue.
I dont know how much people want to stay true to the original style.
Attachments
tree1.png
tree1.png (14.96 KiB) Viewed 8150 times
previously known as daylight
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I really like those. like really, really really!. So please carry on! Remember the dead/dying trees with bare branches...
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Those trees are very nice!
Keep in mind that every tree has seven stages. First three are growing stages, one 'normal' stage and the last three are dying stages.
EDIT: seems I'm a slow poster or something :P

Zephyris wrote:Any graphics which have done a copy/paste of textures etc. from the original graphics cannot be used. The canal and drive through bus stops are obvious examples - and presumably the way points are too.
Alright. That means we also have to replace almost everything from openttdw.grf. Most of it are foundations, but still...
Waypoints don't resemble anything familiar to me by the way.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

And remember, whilst there are ~60 different trees in the original graphics, many of these are just recoloured versions of each other. - Much less drawing work than it may first appear! Even the snowy versions may be able to be done by recolouring the lighter shading to snow shades...
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Zephyris wrote:Any graphics which have done a copy/paste of textures etc. from the original graphics cannot be used. The canal and drive through bus stops are obvious examples - and presumably the way points are too.
And locks and autorail icon and... There are quite a lot things actually.
FooBar wrote:
Mchl wrote:I've been reading project's checklist on wiki, and noticed that there are waypoints on it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but these are not original TTD(X) graphics, so the don't exactly need to be replaced, do they?
No, you're not wrong :D
And they don't need to get replaced. We're currently only replacing sprites from trg[x]r.grf. Waypoints aren't in there. We could include additional waypoints in an 'extended' grf, if someone will draw them.
Basically [0] correct. We don't replace catenary for example..
[0] as stated lot's of graphics in openttdw.grf are to be redone becuase they share elements with (c) graphics

And one thing more, we won't be doing a dos version, Zephyris, are we? Because eventually I think smb has to change everything to action5 and load these as default so no trg1r would be needed however transparency (from Killer11[not DF's] post)
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I would've thought that all these sprites would be assembled into a grf (not newgrf, no coding) to directly replace the original ones (ie. no action5 involved). As a dos conversion is simple to do the graphics could be released as dos too, but I don,t see how this would be particularly useful...
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Zephyris wrote:I would've thought that all these sprites would be assembled into a grf (not newgrf, no coding) to directly replace the original ones (ie. no action5 involved). As a dos conversion is simple to do the graphics could be released as dos too, but I don,t see how this would be particularly useful...
what was in my mind at first actually but it needs extra coding and stuff...Although this must be decided someday..I'll go consultate some devs on *IRC
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
mph
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mph »

I think thats the first tree done. (just noticed one dying stage is missing, but that wont be too hard)
let me know what you think. The bare brances are really hard, but i think they look ok.
also- I dont think that the trees aren't really done very well in the original game, but to allow for changes in the future i think that all trees should have snowy and non snowy to allow varying snowline in both arctic and temperate.
Attachments
tree1.png
tree1.png (20.79 KiB) Viewed 8056 times
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Be amazed... :shock:

New station roof!
I figured this would do for railroad. Monorail and maglev will feature other station roof designs. I still have to do the other direction, so no NewGRF yet. I'll release one as soon as the railroad branch is finished.

I will probably add the signs to the platform under the roof, no benches though, as those would obstruct the arched passages.
Attachments
station-buildings.png
station-buildings.png (17.4 KiB) Viewed 8048 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Re: FooBar
Really excellent! My one suggestion would be to make the support structure (visible at the ends) a bit chunkier, maybe 2px. (*edit*, see my crude attachment).

Re: mph
Also really excellent! My one suggestion here is that the higher branches need more snow, and the lower need less, see my crude attachment...
Attachments
snowy tree demo.png
snowy tree demo.png (13.45 KiB) Viewed 8022 times
station-buildings chunky demo.png
station-buildings chunky demo.png (21.52 KiB) Viewed 8021 times
mph
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mph »

i will play around with the trees.

foobar-

Wow- really nice. I had real trouble drawing an arched roof for one of my stations.
One suggestion for the platform- can you draw the signs in such a way that when there are 2 platforms they overlap each other and appear as one sign? It would make the platforms look less crowded.
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

Hi all

(I think) I've finished the chimera set, but somehow doesnt the code work. The PCX is at the proper format with the proper palette, but it dont seem to work. As well as there are some bugs in the code i cant seem to figure out. Anyone with some experience wanna help me a tad?

Also, somehow doesnt the sprites "come" out properly from the PCX. They turn out wierd and not at all sometimes.

Two attachments, the PCX and a png of the sprites and a "setup" of engines with a couple of coaches and a mail/armor wagon.

The code i used:

Code: Select all

// Automatically generated by GRFCODEC. Do not modify!
// (Info version 7)
// Format: spritenum pcxfile xpos ypos compression ysize xsize xrel yrel

// Initial sprite with line count. Leave it empty because NFORenum will fix it for you.
-1 * 0 00 00 00 00

// Action 8: define GRF version (07), GRFID (46 42 79 01), Name and Description.
-1 * 0 08 07 46 42 99 01 "OpenGFX - New Maglevs v0.1" 00 "Drawn and Coded by 7of9/DJ Nekkid\nJan5 2008; added chimera" 00

// Action 1: for trains define 1 set of 8 sprites for the engine
-1 * 0 01 00 01 08
-1 sprites/chim.pcx 1 40 01 23 8 -4 -12
-1 sprites/chim.pcx 41 40 01 17 22 -11 -9
-1 sprites/chim.pcx 81 40 01 12 32 -16 -6
-1 sprites/chim.pcx 121 40 01 17 22 -11 -9
-1 sprites/chim.pcx 161 40 01 23 8 -4 -12
-1 sprites/chim.pcx 201 40 01 17 22 -11 -9
-1 sprites/chim.pcx 241 40 01 12 32 -16 -6
-1 sprites/chim.pcx 281 40 01 16 22 -11 -8

// Action 2: For trains define cargo ID AB, 1 moving state, 1 loading state, use first set from Action1, use first set from Action1
-1 * 0 02 00 AA 01 01 00 00 00 00

// Action 1: for trains define 1 set of 4 sprites for the passenger carriage
-1 * 0 01 00 01 04
-1 sprites/chim.pcx 1 100 01 24 8 -4 -12
-1 sprites/chim.pcx 41 100 01 17 22 -11 -9
-1 sprites/chim.pcx 81 100 01 12 32 -16 -6
-1 sprites/chim.pcx 121 100 01 17 22 -11 -9

// Action 2: For trains define cargo ID A0, 1 moving state, 1 loading state, use first set from Action1, use first set from Action1
// Definition of use of graphics
-1 * 0 02 00 AB 01 01 00 00 00 00

// Action 3: For trains, 1 train, VehID 58, 0 cargo type definitions, default cargo ID A0.
-1 * 0   	03 00 01 57 00 AA 00
-1 * 0   	03 00 81 59 00 AB 00

// -1 * 0	03 00 01 58 00 A0 00
// Action 3 livery override, to match wagon with engine VehID 1B for passenger carriage.
// -1 * 0	03 00 81 1B 00 A1 00

// Action 4: Change Vehicle name
// -1 * 0 04 00 7F 01 57 "Lev4 'Chimaera'" 00

// Action 0: Change vehicle properties, read Wiki for details ;)
-1 * 0 00 00 0F 01 57 00 \w2037-01-01 02 01 03 \b20 04 \b255 05 02 06 07 08 01 09 \w641 0B \w20000 12 FD 13 01 16 \b75 18 01 19 1A 04 20 01 28 27 04
Attachments
train consist
train consist
mag4-5.PNG (12.44 KiB) Viewed 7976 times
chim.pcx
(15.99 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
Last edited by DJ Nekkid on 05 Jan 2008 18:07, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the
ImageImage
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I have done some more of the sub-tropic specific town buildings, I think I am really starting to get the hang drawing of buildings...

OpenGFX - newTowns v0.2, now with all sub-tropical houses, shanty and flats.
Attachments
OpenGFX_-_newTowns_v0.2.grf
(42.68 KiB) Downloaded 1632 times
newtowns2.png
newtowns2.png (91.15 KiB) Viewed 7986 times
bubersson
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bubersson »

Zephyris: Wow, those buildings are really nice. They look even better than the original ones. May I ask you what drawing software do you use and how is it possible that you draw this graphics so fast and it looks so real??
The only one small thing I can say against your graphics are too much light green dots on ground tiles in desert landscape (those in East slopes). It's just my opinion... someone may like it. ;)
Last edited by bubersson on 05 Jan 2008 18:31, edited 1 time in total.
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

i would guess paint.net or normal paint, or i.mage :)

i use the two later ones for my "work" :)
Member of the
ImageImage
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

7of9, use only action 0a sprite replacement and maybe action 07 to prohibit it in other climates..Rember we replace sprites here not props.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

mph wrote:Wow- really nice. I had real trouble drawing an arched roof for one of my stations.
Thanks!
I too had real trouble drawing that arch, until I found out about the 'pen' tool in photoshop. That seems the perfect tool to help draw almost perfect arches.
mph wrote:One suggestion for the platform- can you draw the signs in such a way that when there are 2 platforms they overlap each other and appear as one sign? It would make the platforms look less crowded.
That, my friend, is already implemented! I also found the two signs next to each other a bit too much, and a bit unrealistic. Why would one place two signs where one would suffice?

Keep those trees coming!

@7of9:
Have you checked the xsize, ysize, xpos, ypos, xrel and yrel of each sprite?
Attachments
station-buildings2.png
station-buildings2.png (19.32 KiB) Viewed 7901 times
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

7of9: first of all, it looks very nice! :)

now some points of critique (constructive of course :P)

* in the diagonal view(s), the locomotive looks a bit different from what it looks like in the horizontal view. It looks a little bit too short in my eyes and also the seperation line between the first "part" and the second "part" is not curved like in the horizontal view.

* also in the diagonal view the windows of the pax wagons look a bit "bumpy" - maybe you can cheat a bit on that by using an antialiasing technique (inbetween colors)

FooBar: i am amazed - the roof looks great :)
only something on the benches disturbs me... i don't know what it is, maybe the color or something... really i can't express what it is but i think something can still be improved on these benches. maybe you have an idea yourself, or someone else here? (anyone else agree with me?)
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

To draw houses I use paint.net with a pcx file type plugin to first draw 32bpp graphics. These are then converted to 8bpp for the final

sprites.

1. Select the base tiles - generally use the bare earth, 1st grass growth back and normal grass tiles.
2. Draw the house base, texture with 20-40% noise.
3. Shade the edges with a blurred house base outline.
4. Flatten to get the building base tile.

5. Draw the building structure, concentrate on the complete bulding but with no roof.
6. Shade the building, and create the first and last building stage graphics.
7. Cut out the windows and texture with 20-40% noise. Note the black wondows for the second building stage ground floor
8. Design the roof, it is easiest to generate a large texture and cut a bit from it.
9. Apply some shading - general shadow/highlights and outlines around the roof and top right of each window.
10. Flatten to get the building sprite.

11. Design the windows and any company colour components using the 8bpp palette.
12. Draw a "magic blue" outer for all the sprites to clear up any stray shading.
13. Flatten to get the complete building sprite.

Finally convert to 8bpp by copying into a pcx with the correct palette - palconvert will need to be used to clear up any stray action

colours.
Attachments
house drawing tutorial.png
house drawing tutorial.png (58.5 KiB) Viewed 1095 times
mph
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mph »

foobar- much better. i like the benches clourwise, but i think the legs might be too long-
you could use these that i drew for my stations if you like. they have legs of 1 pixel rather than 2.
Attachments
benches.png
benches.png (8.41 KiB) Viewed 7878 times

Return to “Graphics Development”