Lightrail/Tramtracks

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: German Tram Set V0.5

Post by wallyweb »

I'm trying to update my grf files. The title of this thread suggests that v0.5 is now available. Where?
If its not available yet, may I suggest that the thread's title show the currently available version instead? That way we won't have to waste our valuable time digging through all the posts looking for something that does not exist yet.
Uwe
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: German Tram Set V0.5

Post by Uwe »

As for the proposal to change the title of this thread, maybe some moderator could do that and change it to "[WIP] German tram set". As a sign that there is actually work in progress, you can take a look at the newly created homepage of the GermanRV set. Since I have taken over coding duties for the trams, I have added the tram part to the existing homepage of the RV set because it's easier for me to maintain it this way. Quite possibly, both sets will be merged together anyway, but that is not yet agreed upon. You can take a look at the planned trams here, progress of the whole thing can be checked here.
Uwe
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: German Tram Set V0.5 [WIP]

Post by Uwe »

Alright, RK and I agreed upon merging the German tram set and the GermanRV set together. All further progress on German trams should be discussed in the GermanRV-thread.

Could some mod please lock this topic and change the heading to something like "combined into GermanRV set"?
cyb
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Lightrail/Tramtracks

Post by cyb »

Hi! New guy trying to get trams in OTTD.

TTDpatch 2.0 rev 1. Using tramtrkw.grf and Windows Vista.

When i try to use this trackset I get error "Wrong grf version"

Can anyone tell me where I go wrong? =( I want trams in my game!
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

Well, I thinkyou're trying to use the Windows one in the DOS TTD.
Having not played TTDP in a while, I'm not certain, but to be sure, look in the folder TTD's installed in, and look for 5 files that start with "trg"
if they go trg*r then you're using the Windows one, if it's just trg* then it's the DOS one, and you need to find the DOS version of that GRF.
cyb
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cyb »

Gremnon wrote:Well, I thinkyou're trying to use the Windows one in the DOS TTD.
Having not played TTDP in a while, I'm not certain, but to be sure, look in the folder TTD's installed in, and look for 5 files that start with "trg"
if they go trg*r then you're using the Windows one, if it's just trg* then it's the DOS one, and you need to find the DOS version of that GRF.
Thanks for the reply, I tried both Windows and DOS versions and got the same result. Same thing with a entirely different trackset.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

You need a version of TTDPatch that is not quite that ancient. I recommend 2.5 beta 9.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Muzzly
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Muzzly »

RK wrote:including new depots, broader tracks, new tram stops and less poles.
I do not see any new tram stops :-( It there some condition for new station to appear ?
Johann
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Johann »

Proposal create streetcar (tram) loop

kamnet

Post by kamnet »

It is not possible to place a drive-thru stop on anything but a straight road piece. But it is possible to create something very reasonably close to your proposal already.
tramloop.png
tramloop.png (16.81 KiB) Viewed 2463 times
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

Or you could shift the tram tracks one square "down" so that the station is both a tram and bus station. :)
Johann
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Johann »

It a pity because I was convinced that it only matter swapping texture

Postscript:
1) Certainly can't nothing to do?
2) My test image is maybe ugly but, by far more realistic
3) Yours variant comes probably with environmental "OpenTTD"
Last edited by Johann on 19 Apr 2013 12:20, edited 1 time in total.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

it can't be "just texture", because you need some way to tell the vehicle where tracks are and where not. and this is (currently) not implemented.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Johann wrote:Proposal create streetcar (tram) loop
I may have a solution for you. It is not perfect but it should do what you are trying. Note that it will only work in TTDPatch and not in OTTD. First, I need to know what train station set you are using.
Johann
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Johann »

Example tram loop with my city:

wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Unfortunately single tram tracks are currently impossible.
By holding the build tool over half of a tile it will build a small loop.
ALSO
With TTDPatch it is possible to make bus stops and tram stops into waypoints:
Tram_Waypoint.png
Tram_Waypoint.png (27.53 KiB) Viewed 2271 times
Tram_Schedule.png
Tram_Schedule.png (34.4 KiB) Viewed 2271 times
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

It is possible to "fake" a tramloop using overlapping tiles.
I've made a quick setup (with no actual rails under it) to show the graphics you could make:
Tramloop01.png
Tramloop01.png (33.83 KiB) Viewed 2219 times
There are a couple of issues though (besides the obvious graphic glitching you always get when using overlapping tiles):
- There has to be a tramstop placed on the outer part of the loop (to force the tram to use the visible track)
- The catenary of the actual track will still be visible (so you'll have a powerline with no track under it next to the powerline with visible track under it), but this might not be that big of a problem or could be used in combination with fake inner loop graphics.
- The tramstop will still look like one for double track. However you could make a small switchyard, so there is only double track at the stop (of which one line will never actually be used)

Regarding the waypoint issue, in OpenTTD you can set the order of the tram to non-stop-via for that tramstop. It will then take the route you want, without stopping there (so no need then for the train waypoint solution Wallyweb suggested)
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.

Return to “Graphics Development”