[Rel] Union Pacific 9000 class 4-12-2

Discuss, get help with, or post new modifications, graphics or related tools for Locomotion in this forum.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

[Rel] Union Pacific 9000 class 4-12-2

Post by Plastikman »

response to http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=34721 ....

I dug around on My PC, Did a little hunting and I found my sprites I had made.
I updated the XML Files so it wont crash lomo like the old steamers did.

Soooooooo... I give You:

9000 Class or "Union Pacific" Class

4-12-2 Steam Locomotive

A fully animated Union Pacific 4-12-2

It is big, Heavy, and Slow with a lot of HP.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
wiki wrote:A 4-12-2, in the Whyte notation for the classification of steam locomotives by wheel arrangement, is a locomotive with four leading wheels, twelve driving wheels (six axles) in a rigid frame, and two trailing wheels.

The equivalent UIC classification is 2'F1'. This arrangement was named the Union Pacific type, after the only railroad to use it.

Only one type of 4-12-2 was built, the Union Pacific Railroad's 9000 class locomotives, 88 of which were built by ALCO between 1926 and 1930. These locomotives were used to increase the speed of freight trains in flat country, and were fairly successful, but were maintenance nightmares, largely because of their use of an inaccessible third cylinder driving a cranked second driving axle between the frames. There was no inaccessible valve gear to worry about, however. ALCO had obtained permission to use the so-called conjugated valve gear invented by Nigel Gresley. This system used two hinged rods connected to the outer cylinders to operate the inner cylinder. The 9000 class locomotives were the largest ever to use Gresley gear.

Between 1934 and 1940 eight of the first fifteen locos had their Gresley gear removed and were converted to a "double Walschaerts" valve gear which utilized a double eccentric (return) crank and second link on the right side (similar to the gear Baldwin used on its 3-cylinder experimental compound 4-10-2 #60000), which operated the valve for the inside cylinder. Union Pacific referred to this system as the "third link." The 4-12-2's constructed from 1928 utilized roller bearings in the Gresely lever bearings, thus none of these engines were converted. The pre-1928 engines not converted received the roller bearing levers in 1940, and no further conversions were made.

During the design phase "blind" (flangeless) third and fourth axle were provided in order to improve curve handling, but the use of ALCO's lateral motion devices on the first and sixth axles (which allowed the axles to slide up to two inches to the side) made this unnecessary. They were the longest rigid frame locomotives in North America, and until 1934, the longest in the world. The trailing truck carried the same axle load as the drivers, which was unusual.

There has been some debate as to whether the first driving axle of the 4-12-2 was cranked to provide clearance for the main rod connected to the second axle. It has been shown that there was no such crank on the first axle. Instead, the spacing between the first and second axles was increased by 18 inches to provide the necessary clearance.

One example survives, at the Railway and Locomotive Historical Society's museum at the Los Angeles County Fairplex in Pomona, California.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

88 Units Made

Built in 1926, Retird in 1956
Originally built for a top speed of 35MPH
Total Weight 782,000lb (with loaded tender)

after looking at My other steamers, I think in the near future I am going to overhaul the whole set soon.

EDIT: I totally forgot about this thread until it was pointed out in PM's
I was reminded that i had a beta Ver 2.0 in MHQ from a while back. I am uploading it here since there is a thread, it is also in the MegaPack.

All New sounds with Wistles from a 9000 class.

This set is a Union Pacific Licensed Item.
Union Pacific name and logo are trademark properties of Union Pacific Railroad, Inc. Used under trademark licensing agreement.

deleted old one after 609 downloads since people are still downloading the wrong one.
Attachments
CLW_Union_Pacific_4-12-2_Ver.2.0.zip
Union Pacific 4-12-2 Ver. 2.0

Union_Pacific_4-12-2.rar is obsolite now
(1.6 MiB) Downloaded 546 times
UP.png
UP.png (146.64 KiB) Viewed 11381 times
Last edited by Plastikman on 06 Feb 2009 19:54, edited 4 times in total.
North American sets and then some...
US SET Ver 3.1.0 updated ~ Amtrak Pack 3.1.0 ~ US Passenger/Metro Set 3.1.0 updated~ Auto Factory 2.6 ~ VIA Rail Pack ~ LTD ED1 Conrail Alcos ~ LTD ED2 NJ Transit ~ DBR E60 ~ TGV Duplex ~ Umbrella Corp. ~ Comboios de Portugal~ Dekosoft UP/BN/BNSF Sets ~ ICE // MegaPack = 1.0.3.
My Trains are made from 100% recycled electrons!
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [Rel] Union Pacific 9000 class 4-12-2

Post by lobster »

roawr. so this'll be in a pack soon?

i just love steamers. :)
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

lobster wrote:roawr. so this'll be in a pack soon?

i just love steamers. :)
I dunno, maybe. I have enough for a decent sized pack update. I have other stuff i want to get to first.... there is a link there to Download it now :D
US SET Ver 3.1.0 updated ~ Amtrak Pack 3.1.0 ~ US Passenger/Metro Set 3.1.0 updated~ Auto Factory 2.6 ~ VIA Rail Pack ~ LTD ED1 Conrail Alcos ~ LTD ED2 NJ Transit ~ DBR E60 ~ TGV Duplex ~ Umbrella Corp. ~ Comboios de Portugal~ Dekosoft UP/BN/BNSF Sets ~ ICE // MegaPack = 1.0.3.
Roossell93
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Roossell93 »

I've been searching all over this forum for a few addons... ?(
-some replacement track set
-a 4-8-8-4 "big boy" addon (if there is one somewhere)
-any north american steamers (I have a few already)

Is there anyone who could direct me to one or more of these things? Thanks... :mrgreen:

EDIT: Yes I did read the post. I downloaded this steamer here.
andel
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by andel »

Bit of a bump there - please try to avoid such bumps in the future?
Andel
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of Andel, who will do and say almost anything to get the attention he craves.
[/size]
lego_trains
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by lego_trains »

andel wrote:Bit of a bump there - please try to avoid such bumps in the future?
How is this a big bump? 3 months to the day. Around here, this is a still a new thread. If he started a new thread asking wher the steamers are, he would have been flamed with the "use the search option".

@ Roossell93, There was a big boy I have seen shots of it, I think it was taken down. I have never found it myself. There are more steamers in the Plastikman sets. Train-a-Mania made some also, I think that is about all there is.

P.S. Welcome to the forums.
Director
Director

Post by alphanumeric »

wow thanks for the bump. I must of missed this one 'downloads now'
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

alphanumeric wrote:wow thanks for the bump. I must of missed this one 'downloads now'
Actually this guy is also in the 2.2 Set.
I just never took the download away for those that wanted "just the steamer" and not the entire set.
Roossell93
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Roossell93 »

Plastikman wrote:
alphanumeric wrote:wow thanks for the bump. I must of missed this one 'downloads now'
Actually this guy is also in the 2.2 Set.
I just never took the download away for those that wanted "just the steamer" and not the entire set.
Are you talking about the "big boy" or the UP 9000?

Thanks for the welcome peoples :mrgreen:
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

the big boy that is floating around is not downloadable due to copywrites and stuff. sorry...

it is pretty buggy anyways..
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Any preview screenies of it in game?

Nice engine to have for LoMo!

OT: Plastikman, you said you're from Chicagoland? You get the foot of snow plus that Waukegan did? Stay warm!
Without Trains America Stops

Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

A shot of the 4-12-2 or the big boy? i am so confused before i have my coffee....

Zimmlock has posted a few pics of it over the last few months in the SS thread. Here is his latest, It is the one out front with the coal hoppers.

If You ment the bigboy ... it is hiding under the coal tower. Ignore the water towers, those got scrapped from beta for new models.

jossevb
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jossevb »

great signals!!!!
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

I was looking for the screenie of the 4-12-2. Thanks, Plastikman! Looks cool!
Without Trains America Stops

DJ
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DJ »

Where i can download that small signals?
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

DJ wrote:Where i can download that small signals?
That is part of the U.S. Scenery update. That set is still in beta (well, mixed beta/pre-beta, It is hard to get a decent way to install it for noobs without killing other mods.). hopfully it is the next set after 2.3. 2.3 is done, but, in hardcore "tweeking"
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Darth Sidious »

Plastikman wrote:response to http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=34721 I think in the near future I am going to overhaul the whole set soon.

I've seen a lot of great work from you Plastikman and lots of you're work is to be found in most of my games. I still think you're car-factory mod is the best done on Locomotion...my compliments for it.

But what I was wanna ask...does this set includes the master of all steamers ? I'm talking about the "Big Boy" double engined steam lokomotive from the "Union Pacific" ?

Can't wait for new projects from you're hand....

Thanks and Good Luck...!

Greetz !!!
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

Plastikman wrote:the big boy that is floating around is not downloadable due to copywrites and stuff. sorry...

it is pretty buggy anyways..
The way Lomo works. You can not make a proper working articulated engine, the bogeys on the articulated part cause the boiler to clip bad. sometimes the bogeys even show on top of the boiler. there are a few things you can do to help eliminate this, but there will never be a perfect articulated steamer in locomotion... unless your glue it all together for a ridged loco that looks terrible on turns....
Trainboy13
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Trainboy13 »

You could just build it as two seperate engines. :idea:

Return to “Locomotion Graphics, Modifications & Tools”