#wwottdgd calles grf authors / gfx'ers for help - (UPDATE)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: #wwottdgd calles grf authors / gfx'ers for help - (UPDATE)

Post by dihedral »

the toll booth has been ejoyed very much on the map-test game by Ammler and Phazorx...

though there was the question if it was possible to add a little logic to the grf, which would only replace the transmitter if it's not part of an airport...

i have no idea how grf's work and what is possible and what not... just poping in the question :-)

other than that - it's great :-D
AntBUK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by AntBUK »

Right, it would seem that I have to change some colours as I seem to have used the explosion colours twice. The lighting worked better then I expected anyway, and that scrap of NFO code will help me a bit at least :D

I now have work to do :D

Edit: Looking at TTDPatch GRF wiki, Action 04 defines names...
Rasing Awareness: Aspergers Syndrome 1 (NAS UK)2 (BBC)3 (YaleDDC)

Something is driving you insane... It is me.
rabbit67890
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rabbit67890 »

AntBUK wrote:Ok, here's what I've got so far :D
newfountain.png
I'm going to put some more people in and make it a PCX later, I just want to know what people think for now.

Critics please note, this is my first attempt :D

It should look brilliant when put into the game :D
it dosent look like a fountain
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

AntBUK wrote:Would somebody please help me learn enough NFO coding to make that PCX file replace fountains and add parameters to change between Eyecandy, Accepting/producing pax, accepting pax and food and producing pax?
Tell us what parts of the wiki you've read, tell us what parts you don't understand, and then maybe we can do something productive.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

AntBUK wrote:Right, it would seem that I have to change some colours as I seem to have used the explosion colours twice. The lighting worked better then I expected anyway, and that scrap of NFO code will help me a bit at least :D

I now have work to do :D

Edit: Looking at TTDPatch GRF wiki, Action 04 defines names...
By the explosion colours you mean the water cycle? It was me. I think it looked better. Anyway you can change this if you don't like it. I also added little animations to one preson and to tat flag?? it is a flag yes?
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
AntBUK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by AntBUK »

DaleStan wrote:Tell us what parts of the wiki you've read, tell us what parts you don't understand, and then maybe we can do something productive.
GRF Actions Detailed, Actions 4, 8 and 0 (houses) and to be honest not much made sense, I have however managed to get a partially working NFO and GRF thanks to NFO Renum.
rabbit67890 wrote:it dosent look like a fountain
True, I have weird names for my files. Its easier for me and will be renamed later.

lordazamath wrote:By the explosion colours you mean the water cycle? It was me. I think it looked better. Anyway you can change this if you don't like it. I also added little animations to one preson and to tat flag?? it is a flag yes?
Flag? What flag? There's a table (its dodgy) with explosion cycle colours which I'm going to change. The lights around the top of the square are supposed to be water cycle for effect.

LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

AntBUK wrote: Flag? What flag? There's a table (its dodgy) with explosion cycle colours which I'm going to change. The lights around the top of the square are supposed to be water cycle for effect.
Are you talking about pcx modified by me or the original?

Ok, I see it's table. The second thing is that I know what is in that pcx. I MYSELF modified it and put the outcome here. Ok. To not make you think that you made so much disgraceful things in that image, here is the list of changes, made by me
  • I removed the whole pavement and replaced it with transparency (#0000FF). Practically it was a bugfix.
    I changed the lights at the top, to make it look more fatter http://www.postimees.ee/foto/2/1/699124 ... ecf0_1.jpg
    I made little modifications to people dressing, haircut and shape
    I made little blinkers to that table.
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

rabbit67890 wrote:it dosent look like a fountain
it REPLACES the FOUNTAIN in a town with something else!!
Phazorx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Phazorx »

Here is another request for graphics update

TrueBrain made working to some extent snow in temperate patch, which would be very nice to use on that map, so Alps can look like Alps should look :)

however snow tiles are colored for arctic climate and are done in different color palette:

It would be nice if someone would comeup with replacement grf with more appropriate looking partial snow tiles (perhaps based on Alpine)

The patch can be found here
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

i'm on it. I don't know about .grf encoding, but i'll draw the sprites - 33% done (slight snow)

@someone experienced with grf encoding, one question: should i just post a pcx with the part from trg1r.pcx i changed, or the whole modified file?
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

You can ask MB if you could use some of his sprites from the alpine climate.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

ok, finished.

i blended the original grass tiles with the partly snow tiles.

someone try to encode it? :)

edit: this is just a part of trg1r.pcx, if i should post the whole trg1r.pcx with the changes, say so.
Attachments
trg1r_snow.pcx
partly snow replacement for wwottdgd
(290.59 KiB) Downloaded 203 times

ImageImage
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

I can code it, I just need to know if Phazorx wants it as a replacement newgrf or as a normal grf where it will just be a bunch of sprites and he has to do the functionality code himself.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

i encoded it myself now, back to trg1r.grf - no newgrf (wouldn't know how to do that), just overwriting the old sprites. Of course, snow climate looks weird with this now...

to use it, place in /data folder and overwrite the existing trg1r.grf

edit: removed due to request
richk67 wrote:You cant distribute trgr1.grf, modified or not. It is one of the core graphics files, that must not be distributed through this site.
Last edited by Roujin on 22 Oct 2007 05:58, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage
Leviath.NL
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Leviath.NL »

This grf only contains the temperate snow sprite. It replaces the snow tiles in trg1r.grf when you are playing the temperate climate. It does NOT have any functionality, it is just a replacement grf. (and practise for me :) )

edit: grf added :wink:
edit2: little typo in the name.
Attachments
tempsnow.grf
(59.08 KiB) Downloaded 372 times
Last edited by Leviath.NL on 06 Nov 2007 16:02, edited 3 times in total.
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Roujin wrote:i encoded it myself now, back to trg1r.grf - no newgrf (wouldn't know how to do that), just overwriting the old sprites. Of course, snow climate looks weird with this now...

to use it, place in /data folder and overwrite the existing trg1r.grf
And you want every player on wwottfg to download it as an extra to already the #coop package? If I was you, I would have made a grd out of it and then grd->grf'ed. There are some more tools in grfcodec folder, than grfcodec it self you know., it could actually make the size of downloadable data much less, than it's now,
The modified pcx (and indexed)
meetingplace.pcx
(1.72 KB) Downloaded 8 times

And finally the very basic grf, where somebody can start adding the parameters etc. (I hope AntBUK will get a chance this time :D)
meetingplace.grf
(744 Bytes) Downloaded 2 times
Note the sizes compared to 2,3Mb
Lord
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

You cant distribute trgr1.grf, modified or not. It is one of the core graphics files, that must not be distributed through this site.

Also, the important thing with MB's sprites is that they are *original* graphics, not just recoloured existing graphics. This is important as a simple recolouring/combining of copyright material still is covered by the original copyright. (Its a "derivative work" in copyright parlance.)

Oh... and credit where credit is due... I wrote the Snow In Temperate patch waaaaaaaaaay back. I think TB may have resurrected it, and brought it up to date. Note my patch uses MB's sprites with permission, and does not mess up the Arctic climate to do it. I included it in MiniIN (with MB's permission to distribute the snow sprites).
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
AntBUK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by AntBUK »

This is going to sound extremely bad, but how the hell do you get a GRFCodec compatible pallet in GIMP or PSP8!? I even set my own pallet but that's gone AWOL and didn't really work anyway.

Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

richk67 wrote:You cant distribute trgr1.grf, modified or not. It is one of the core graphics files, that must not be distributed through this site.
You are very right. Posting that whole file was a sincere mistake - file removed. :oops:
It's really a shame with these copyright issues... so my altering of original sprites is completely unacceptable aswell? Seems i wasted my time GIMPing yesterday :|

(i wished they would release their old jewel to the public. who holds the rights right now anyways? chris sawyer himself? as a child, he was a legend for me, if he had given up the rights to the public after, say, 10 years or so, he would have been truly legendary :cry: )

well Leviath.NL seems to have a working replacement grf that's no derivative work (haven't tested it), so the stuff I made is not needed anyways, i guess...

ImageImage
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

AntBUK wrote:This is going to sound extremely bad, but how the hell do you get a GRFCodec compatible pallet
You decode any of the cannon TTD files and use the palette from that file.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser

Return to “Graphics Development”