So, to complement viewtopic.php?f=33&t=33208
with some sort of patch ....
I have written patch that will allow heights from 0-127 instead od 0-15. (with possible future extension to -128 .. 127 for sea depth patch)
So I split type_height in _m to _m.type and _me.height. This increase memory usage for map by 11%, but seem to work.
First sort of preview, loading works, saving works too, but the high hills gets broken in savegames. High terrain technically work, but there is heap of bugs and glitches, so lot of work need to be done to bring this to usable state.
* tiles with height>15 are screwed when saving
* terraforming uphill get very slow once you start raising "too large peak" (like to raise 30 high peak to 31 height). Seems the terraformer is recursive (and ridiculously slow for large peaks). There were some recursion limits which I don't know how they were computed. I guessed how much larger they need to be for 127 height. Seem to work somewhat, but maybe it is still too small or large
graphical glitches with tiles of height over 15 (I have no idea why).
* parts of gui and config system still think 15 is maximum height
* Very high hills show with same colors on minimap -> all colors over height 27 are the same, somebody need to invent what colors to use ...
* Planes fly too low
* Land generation (terragenesis) won't use any values >15
Tiles can actually be between 0-127 and behave well for road vehicles and trians.
Loading savegames work (Saving is still buggy)
Seems that it will be more difficult than previously anticipated, so any help (fixing any of that bugs or finding yet unknown bugs is welcome :)