New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread (Works In Progress)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Ben_Robbins_: Very Nice!
May I suggest you adjust the hue of 'soil' in tiles to the one you used in the garden of your bungalow, because I think that it is somewhat more red and slightly darker than it should be (as they are now they resemble original TTD color but to my opinion buldozed land should be more a bit more brown - OK not so much like desert in tropic - just a try to change the hue and light 2, 3 points and see if it looks better)?
I like the roads as they appear in your screenshot. Pavement also is fits with them. Talking about pavement, within the last decade there is a tendency in our city to replace white cement pavements with ones including colored cement (pink and ochre) to make some patterns and in central areas with pink-red mosaic. Stone is also used. Maybe we can see that in OpenTTD world one day. TTRs made a nice start changing by time roads and I hope to see more coming...
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

Thanks guys.

Chicago Rail Authority: That is true about the rails, I think I'll add some shading manually on the far side of the raised area of stones do give it more depth.

Athanasios: The soil for the bungalow is far from how the soil tiles in the original looked. The browns I have used are quite similar to the originals, maybe slightly richer in colour, but personally I like them that colour.

I've had a bit of free time this morning so I've done the 4 slopes, and since I'm posting here’s a preview, and the tar, just incase anybody wants it. (even though its only a small amount of the road tiles).

I'm off now for about 10 days or so, so I shall continue with the many other road tiles after that. Hope some other work appears while I'm away!
Attachments
Road.tar
(544 KiB) Downloaded 545 times
021 - Sloped Roads.PNG
021 - Sloped Roads.PNG (1.87 MiB) Viewed 1380 times
Ben
Chicago Rail Authority
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Chicago Rail Authority »

Nice work. I'm not thrilled about the stair-step look of the sidewalks on the slopes, but that's just a matter of my personal tastes...

Regarding the rails in the earlier post - I think the "near" rail looks flat because the "far" rail has additional black shading on the inside of the rail bit itself. Adding the dark shading to the outside of the near rail (the near side of the near rail) to give the same shading would help.

Additional shading on the stones would be good, too.
Last edited by Chicago Rail Authority on 17 Jun 2007 14:47, edited 1 time in total.
Many thanks to those who make OTTD and TTDP possible.
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

I agree with Chicago about the steps thing but otherwise Ben, its fantastic work. :)
Field-Mouse
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Field-Mouse »

Yeah, I agree, the steps/stairs on the pavement doesnt look good at all.
Otherwise, very nice! =D
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

I've never seen stairs before on road walkways myself, except when isolated from the road by means of fence.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Not necessarily. I don't like steps in real life cause I want to run sometimes, but here we have a very steep slope and it is more realistic to have steps. I notice that street lights and trees are misaligned. Someone might hit on these light poles as it happened to me when I was parking my car and it cost me almost 50 euros to buy paint and fix.

Field-Mouse
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Field-Mouse »

This is Off-topic, but in order to reach the right people:
How come u guys aren´t @ Dreamhack??
PPT
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PPT »

They have steps on some of the very steep hills in San Francisco. They don't seem to help much.

It's a bit difficult to figure out what is going on in that shot. It's difficult to make out the slopes.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

I didn't face any difficulty. Can you give some details (with an image) as to where is the difficulty so it can be corrected?

PPT
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PPT »

This may just be me.

First off, the roads look like they are floating and not on the ground.
They seem to be following their own contours and not the ground's.

See line 1 and following down to the road. It looks to be a crease in the land, but the road changes slope at point 2.

The dark areas in the boxed in area at 3 and at point 4 don't seem to relate to the road.

There are some other areas as well, but these jump out at me the most.
Attachments
021__sloped_roads_146_annotated.png
021__sloped_roads_146_annotated.png (1.73 MiB) Viewed 1095 times
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

The slopes look right to me, but there is no shading.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

PPT wrote:See line 1 and following down to the road. It looks to be a crease in the land, but the road changes slope at point 2.
That might be because the tile on which point two is on is actually a flat square.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

PPT: There is no problem with the roads. To verify this go to scenario editor, create land like in image and then build a new large city. So you can compare old road sprites (without city old sprites are used) with new ones.

By the way (not that it is of great interest, as 32bpp has made ot into the trunk, and the old 32bpp branch will eventually die), there is a bug: When you have a road and land is elevated and you want to raise it more it should normally give warning that there is a road there. But it seems to replace the road with a rail line. When error message disppears rail disappears too. Otherwise rail line cannot be removed.
Attachments
buggy_raise.png
buggy_raise.png (124.73 KiB) Viewed 5423 times
Buggy.scn
(60.94 KiB) Downloaded 186 times

Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

athanasios wrote:By the way (not that it is of great interest, as 32bpp has made ot into the trunk, and the old 32bpp branch will eventually die)
Correction; It has died, and has been removed. Yesterday at 7:37 PM GMT, to be precise.
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

Ouch, that hurts, because it means we won't be seeing the beautiful 256 pixel graphics anymore, at least not in the near future (the 32bpp in trunk is limited to 64 px per tile, in the branch it was 256 pixels).

All the more reason to pick up the discussion about the zoom level 2 for the grass again.
see also: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=587281#587281

I contacted Ben (Robbins) last weekend, and I've spent some time to resize the grass he has created for 256 pixel tiles to 64 px tiles. I did use a number of different graphics programs and interpolators, and took screenshots of them in the game (trunk).
Please comment on the method you like best, or worst.

For the record, the credits for the original 256 px graphics completely belong to Ben Robbins, I just researched the various methods to resize them.

I did not yet put any effort in adding the tile grid, that will be done when the best grass is chosen.
Attachments
Different resizing methods for the 256px grass tiles to 64 px. The first one is the 64 px grass used in the original game
Different resizing methods for the 256px grass tiles to 64 px. The first one is the 64 px grass used in the original game
grasscmp2.png (23.46 KiB) Viewed 5328 times
CryingCorvus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CryingCorvus »

OMG! :shock: extra zoom levels was only reason for me to wait for 32bpp OTTD.
Now my dreams was crashed :cry: i will dont download OTTD32 version from trunk... its no reason. I even wish to see PixelArt 8bpp graphic with extra zoom levels :D because game dont need 32bpp for prettier graphic.(i like to see bigger trains)

Extra ZOOM Levels Come Back!! :?

PS. New railtracks looks awesome
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Needn't post 2, 3. 1, 4 and 5 are OK.
Optionally you can leave 32bpp branch do the resizing. As you can see in my above posted image it works FANTASTIC! :idea:

GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

Thanks Athanasios for your comment.

So that is 1 vote for number 1,4,5 and the branch resize ( I followed your suggestion, and tried it myself, and it does not look bad I think ).

0 votes for number 2 and 3

My personal favourite in the game is number 1, so that makes
2 votes nr 1
1 vote for nr 4 and 5 and branch resize

I noticed there were 248 views of the comparison, and only 1 comment.
Is this a case of 'we're totally flabbergasted' or of 'I couldnt care less'

Please give us your comment, it is your chance to influence the way OTTD might look in the future. Though the grass may not seem very exciting, it occupies a large area of the screen in the game, and thus influences the look of the game pretty severely.
cmoiromain
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by cmoiromain »

numbers 2 and 3 look more like leaves than grass lol

I personally prefer number 1, but I'd like to see what 4 would look like with a little bit darker grid lines. I suggest, for your count, adding 1 vote for n°1&4.

Return to “Graphics Development”