3 way junction improvement

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

jungle
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jungle »

And again for mountainous areas - this is a useful (although admittedly not terribly efficient unless extended to allow space for trains to wait for places in the station) way of connecting to a station that just has to be located just a little too close to the line, by taking advantage of the new bridge features...

(Also if you make the main line track at the back a bridge, you can make it a through station for trains running at right angles to the main line.)

Edit: Should point out that the signals are not on the bridge, they are under it - it appears to be a graphical glitch with the brick bridge.
Attachments
Flendingstone Transport, 7th Sep 1924.png
Flendingstone Transport, 7th Sep 1924.png (43.95 KiB) Viewed 3143 times
knedle
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by knedle »

Another T-junction.
It was built in order to let some trains go back. Also equiped with presignals which gives priority to trains on main line.
Attachments
untitled1.png
untitled1.png (21.94 KiB) Viewed 3123 times
lawsonuw
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lawsonuw »

ooh, Jungle, that's a nice station! it'd be great for servicing farms. doesn't even need the new-bridges stuff if the station can extend one more square away from the main line.

I've done some networks that use a single station entrance to service two stations. It works... but, can deadlock if one of the stations is full and another train tries to enter the full station. An escape depot should fix this but those don't work anymore. Hm... i wonder if pre-signals and a signal track would fix this? (I've no luck at it so far)

good stuff in this thread!
And one intersection to rule them all.
AntBUK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by AntBUK »

The most complex my 3 ways usually get is attached.

As you can see I'm all for just letting them fight their way though a 4sq by 4sq junction, main line trains diverted by way points, as in the second picture
Attachments
my most complex 3-way junction, used rarely
my most complex 3-way junction, used rarely
myjunction.png (49.03 KiB) Viewed 3067 times
Rasing Awareness: Aspergers Syndrome 1 (NAS UK)2 (BBC)3 (YaleDDC)

Something is driving you insane... It is me.
foley547
Engineer
Engineer

Post by foley547 »

just wondering how do you use multi signals to give certain track's Priority over other track's
Last edited by foley547 on 27 May 2007 23:50, edited 2 times in total.
boneyman
Engineer
Engineer

Post by boneyman »

I'm completely terrible with any kind of junction i can barely make the one you use at the start of the railway station if you have 2 or more tracks.
All politicians are bad, you just need to know which ones are the worst.
Grolsch
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re:

Post by Grolsch »

ostlandr wrote:Thanks!

I'm just getting started with OpenTTD, and the junction issue gets to be a pain.

Is there a way to force a signal red while fiddling with the trackwork, or does one need to send all trains on that line to the depot? Yeah, I could just cut the track, but that's not real-world accurate.
You talk about real-world accurate, and at the same time talk about junctions? That makes me laugh :D
Beer equals power
phil88
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: 3 way junction improvement

Post by phil88 »

To 'turn a signal red' I just flip a 1-way signal around so it's facing the wrong way. The trains can't enter from the back of the signal, so it's as good as a red light.
- Phil
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re:

Post by planetmaker »

foley547 wrote:just wondering how do you use multi signals to give certain track's Priority over other track's
Read this: http://www.openttdcoop.org/wiki/Prio
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Re: 3 way junction improvement

Post by CMircea »

Nice way to awaken a topic that's been sleeping for more than 1 year...

Return to “General OpenTTD”