Scenarios Team Thread (Old Name - New List of Scenarios)

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

T-Unit
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Scenarios Team Thread (Old Name - New List of Scenarios)

Post by T-Unit »

Hey, you! You with the scenario editor!
And all of yous with interest in maintaining the Wiki.

Me, T-Unit and JameiLei have been collaborating to create a consistent Wiki database for OpenTTD scenarios. Here's what it would look like: List of player-made scenarios

As you can see, so far we have created merely a basic structure for listing the various scenarios in this thread and elsewhere. There is still a lot of work to be done, categorizing all the various listings etc.

However, now we need YOUR help. We are about to form a sort of a "Scenarios Team" at the wiki, a batch of like-minded people who would every once in a while take a look at the wikipage AND this thread and make corrections/additions/alterations where appropriate. So we are looking for people who would be willing to help us out. If you are interested in this, take a look at the Scenarios Team page at the wiki. If you decide to join, do please drop us a note so we know who is in. :)

We also need the help of scenario authors: if you have listed a scenario here, we'd also like you to list it at the wiki page. You don't even need a wiki account for that, just surf at the List and do the following:
  • Take a screenshot showing the minimap of your scenario (preferably medium-size, in PNG). Example
  • Take a screenshot showing a detail you like about the scenario you are about to list. Again, preferably medium-size, and in PNG. Example
  • Name the above files logically and upload them to the wiki here.
  • Add the following code under the relevant categories (Example):

Code: Select all

{{scenario
    |title=Your Scenario
    |minimap=name-of-your-minimap.png
    |screenshot=name-of-your-screenshot.png
    |description=A few words about your scenario. Geography, different strategies, and so on.
    |difficulty=Easy/Normal/Hard
    |setting=[[Temperate]] / [[Sub-tropical]] / [[Sub-arctic]] / [[Toyland]]
    |size=256x256
    |relief=Very Flat / Flat / Hilly / Mountainous / Mixed
    |towns=No. of towns. Low/Normal/High
    |industries=No. of industries. Low/Normal/High
    |realworld=Is your scenario based on any real location? Where?
    |version=your.openttd.version
    |author=[[user:author|author]]
    |download_url=http://url.to.your/scenario.scn
    }} 

• Done!
By adding all the scenarios in this thread to the wikipages, we'll be making it a lot easier for newcomers to search and download new scenarios. By adding your scenarios, you'll be making a valuable contribution to the wiki.

Oh, and don't worry about making mistakes - we'll spot and fix them afterwards. The important thing right now is to get scenarios listed at the wikipages.
Copied from Jupix's post in Scenarios thread
Some questions have already been asked and answered here
Last edited by T-Unit on 30 Mar 2007 15:07, edited 1 time in total.
paijm021
Engineer
Engineer

Post by paijm021 »

How to take a screenshot of the complete minimap?
Quark
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Quark »

paijm021 wrote:How to take a screenshot of the complete minimap?
maybe we must make «minimap screenshot» feature? :)

If you have a lot of memory then you can also take giant screenshot and resize it :)
Attachments
minimap.png
minimap.png (46.88 KiB) Viewed 9377 times
Jupix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Jupix »

Indeed, I just took a screenshot of the game with the minimap in it and cut it in PSP.
You just have to remember to save it as a palette optimized PNG with a 1-color transparency (set to black).
#################
Sleepie
Director
Director

Post by Sleepie »

I take the liberty to claim this thread as a discussion place for the Scenarios Team.

Of course this thread open for everyone to post comments and question about the scenario database on the wiki.

To prevent repeatedly questions about permission from members for adding their scenarios to the database below is a list of members who actually give us permission for all their scenarios.

Members we actually have permission from: (in alphabetical order)
  • George
  • Moriarty
  • Ominus
  • thebrightside
If you are missing your name, just pm me :wink:

Current list of scenarios on the wiki: (Note: Links direct to the Scenario by Setting pages) Instructions on how to add new scenarios to the wiki could be found here.

I'll update this post continuously.
Last edited by kamnet on 16 Dec 2018 02:55, edited 8 times in total.
Reason: Fixed broken links
Denke nie gedacht zu haben, denn das Denken der Gedanken ist gedankenloses Denken.
Wiki Page/Talk, Member of the OpenTTD Scenarios Team
Looking for OpenTTD scenarios? - Here's a List of player-made scenarios. Please help us grow the database with your contributions.
Ominus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ominus »

Quark wrote: If you have a lot of memory then you can also take giant screenshot and resize it :)
was able to make the ss of the entire map but now it seems to be too big for any paint program to open it so i could resize it (50mb) any workaround?

and yes implementing an option to make a ss of the whole minimap would be very useful for us map makers :P
they are amongst us, above us and below
they hear but they do not listen
they see but never look
they speak but never talk
they are our problems and our solutions
they guide us and yet not interfere
they created us and they will destroy us!!
Sleepie
Director
Director

Post by Sleepie »

Ominus wrote: any workaround?
We can do it for you, just point to your scenario :wink:
and yes implementing an option to make a ss of the whole minimap would be very useful for us map makers :P
Maybe you should post this in the suggestion forum :wink: It would be very handy indeed.

@Scenario Team

I have converted the whole bunch of existing maps to the new system and have updated the instructions how to add new scenarios as well. So from now on, all new maps should be added this way.

@T-Unit

Thanks for changing the topic title :)

Sleepie
Denke nie gedacht zu haben, denn das Denken der Gedanken ist gedankenloses Denken.
Looking for OpenTTD scenarios? - Here's a List of player-made scenarios. Please help us grow the database with your contributions.
Sleepie
Director
Director

Post by Sleepie »

A tip to save some time when adding new scenarios ;)

To prevent spam you get always a captcha box when adding a new external link. To make sure you get this only once when adding a new scenario, you should create the scenario page, then add it to all related categories. But the download link should be the last thing you add to the scenario page. Otherwise you get the captcha box on every category page you add the map to :P
Jupix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Jupix »

It would be great if someone could be bothered to update the latest additions list.
#################
Sleepie
Director
Director

Post by Sleepie »

Jupix wrote:It would be great if someone could be bothered to update the latest additions list.
I could be ;) edit: have done it twice
Sleepie
Director
Director

Post by Sleepie »

As I already mentioned in the Scenarios thread I have updated the wiki today.
Due the vary description length of the scenarios some category pages looks a bit ugly now, imho. So I'm considerung to change the scenario template and the table layout on the category pages to one column style.
I'll play with the template at home to make it fit well on a 1024x768 resolution.

When I'm on it, are there any suggestions/requests to add specific infos to the template like the start year for instance?
T-Unit
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by T-Unit »

Well some of the scenarios may need extra graphics so should we have a field for graphics needed? Maybe one for the version of OTTD it was produced in as well?

I have been busy recently with coursework etc (for GCSE) but after exams will have quite a bit of spare time to dedicate to adding scenarios and possibly make my own to add. Will let you know if i have any other ideas.
Sleepie
Director
Director

Post by Sleepie »

Good idea, at least the maps in the Special category require newgrf, so a special field would be good. Also an 'Recommend newgrf' field could be useful.

At the moment I would like to add these new fields:
  • Start year
  • Required NewGRFs
  • Recommend NewGRFs
If you disagree or have more ideas - any input is welcome.

As I mentioned I'll play with the template anyway and maybe post some previews here before applying the changes on the wiki.

Edit: And good luck with your exams! :)
Sleepie
Director
Director

Post by Sleepie »

I have made a first attempt for a new layout on the Scenario Template talk page. I bet this one won't be the final version as there are still some things I'm not satisfied with ;) It's just a discussion base, so comments and suggestions are welcome :)

Edit: I have moved the attempts to the scenario template talk page and updated the above link.
Luukland
Engineer
Engineer

Tasmania

Post by Luukland »

Hereby i give the scenario team permission to use this scenario for further purposes.

They get the rights of:
- Copying the scenario, and make it publican available
- Use it for OTTD the game

Rights only with permission (so author needs to be contacted)
- Change name
- Altering difficulties, or changing the scenario itself

I hope to see my name soon in the wiki

But no permission giving is needed, if i do not show my scenario(s).

Here is my third (also beta)

Tasmania

Everyone knows Australia, but not so popular is the island Tasmania, south of Australia. The first reported sighting of Tasmania by a European was on November 24, 1642 by the Dutch explorer Abel Tasman who named the island Anthoonij van Diemenslandt. The island has now a population of 484.700. And the capital city is Hobart.

The scenario is based on the height maps of Google Earth. So it is totally like it is in the real world. With Launceston in the north and Hobart in the south, makes it possible to set up a gigantic railway network.

With plenty of water supplies on the small deserts, and some farms on the higher plains, this scenario is really a true headache, for every strategist!

Some ideas to build:
- Passenger network from Launceston to Hobart
- Water network, from the deserts to any giant town
- Diamond network, from the small islands to the north to Hobart
- Oil/Food from the mountainous inlands to the coast, where the refineries are located

Statistics:
- Starting year 1947
- Difficulty: Hard ( 150.000 loan, subsidy 4x, 0 opponents)
- Climate: Tropical
- Industries: Many
- Towns: Few
- Size: 512 x 512
- Card with relief, from sandy beaches to windy mountains

Hereby I do donate it to the scenario team, who receive the rights mentioned above
Attachments
Screen shot from Hobart and the surrounding area.
Screen shot from Hobart and the surrounding area.
screenshot #1.png (229.55 KiB) Viewed 856 times
Tasmania.scn
The scenario Tasmania ©Luukland Productions. 2007 V 1.0
(220.23 KiB) Downloaded 2535 times
Fry3k
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Fry3k »

Sorry i don't get it with making a screenshot of the minimap. Even in a 512x512 Scenario it takes 3 shots to put together the whole map. I think its a lot of work to do this on a 2048x2048 map? I made some scenarios and i want to upload them but i can't make a proper picture of the minimap. A giant screenshot only shows the whole map in detail but only the map where you play on, not the minimap.
Jupix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Jupix »

Fry3k wrote:A giant screenshot only shows the whole map in detail but only the map where you play on, not the minimap.
Giant screenshot works as well, as long as you resize it to a compact size (640x480 px or so). The point of this image is just to let the user know what the geography of the entire map is like.

What I did was take multiple screenshots of the minimap window (maximized in openttd) and create a "panorama" of them with AutoStitch (google it). It's not exactly what AS is for but works all the same.
#################
Sleepie
Director
Director

Re: Scenarios Team Thread (Old Name - New List of Scenarios)

Post by Sleepie »

Bump.

I've updated both lists in this post. Thank you George for giving us your permission. There are still a lot of maps missing on the wiki, for which we already have permission. Those will be added till the end of the year, as my spare time permits 8)

Thanks for all your maps so far and keep up making new ones ;)

Regards

Sleepie

PS: Hmm, I wonder if this topic would fit better in the new subforum. If one of the mods think so too, just move it 8)

Return to “General OpenTTD”