Six New Airports - Released

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Do you want these airports?

All 3 + other directions
83%
Type 3b: no, Type 4b: yes, Helistation: yes
7%
Type 3b: yes, Type 4b: no, Helistation: yes
5%
Type 3b: no, Type 4b: no, Helistation: yes
6%

Total votes: 127

CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

Also, my I ask why the District airports aren't on 0.5 (RC1-RC5)?
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

The answer is on page 4 of this topic.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Vloris wrote:Is this done on purpose?
Yes, it approaches at a diagonal, and only the one that gets landing permission turns in for the approach. The others continue their path.

Holding patterns can be more complex, but it requires more coding in the state machine. This worked, so I didnt fix it.

Re: Queuing patch: No idea.
Re: modifying availability dates: these are easy to find, and a simple patch can change them. I have not set them as configurable items, but that can come in the new versions coming later.

Re: District airport. Not my best design. I have some better ones, that should be coming soon.
Attachments
A new airport :)
A new airport :)
Tonninghall Transport, 23rd Sep 2004 #1.png (28.04 KiB) Viewed 4889 times
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

Isn't there a way of removing this?? :roll:
Attachments
tonninghall_transport_23rd_sep_2004_1_624.png
tonninghall_transport_23rd_sep_2004_1_624.png (36.98 KiB) Viewed 4880 times
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

No. :) I wanted it there for the aircraft to travel around. It stays :P
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Firework Photography
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

Then put something there.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

What? You can't have anything tall near the runways; it's simply not safe.[0] The only thing that leaves is helipads, and you don't want those any too close to the runways either.

[0] On that subject, any chance of relocating the transmission tower? Not that I'm sure where it should go instead. The best I can get is one tile in the -X direction.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

Maybe this?
Attachments
tonninghall_transport_23rd_sep_2004_1_624.png
tonninghall_transport_23rd_sep_2004_1_624.png (37.58 KiB) Viewed 4822 times
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

No. Runways have clear spaces of grass. If anything, there isnt enough grass around this airport. It stays. Last word.

The radar is usually placed further away from the buildings (or high up on top of them), so that it has a clear line of sight on the approaches.

Dalestan: As for antenna - where would you suggest? Those two runways are the outbound only runways, so the antenna is never in the flightpath - if that makes a difference.
Firework Photography
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Every square not used as a taxiway should be grass. It's the same for real life. Only near the terminal does it become like a big car park.
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

Personally, Im not too keen on the square that is half grass and half tarmac. I think it would be better all grass. Its a little distracting with that vertical line. :?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

richk67 wrote:Dalestan: As for antenna - where would you suggest? Those two runways are the outbound only runways, so the antenna is never in the flightpath - if that makes a difference.
As I said, the best I could come up with is one tile in the minus X direction (toward the hangar), but that's not much improved when it comes to keeping it out of the (nonexistent) +Y landing/-Y takeoff paths.
Moving it by <-2,-1> or <-3, -1> would be be better, but has the side effect of making the airport even more irregular.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

At risk of giving Desolator the win here, could you maybe swap the Antenna with the radar head?
(Or even lose the Antenna... Ive not seen any that big near an airport for a while!)
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

No. I used to work with radars - that would a) fry the living daylights out of the people in the hangar, and b) create an enormous blindspot. This airport is pretty much complete.

As for the antenna - Im not a great fan of the graphic. Maybe I'll just lose it entirely. But the radar is right. It stays.

The grass may get rounded, but that requires extra graphics loading into airports.grf, which Im reluctant to do when things are likely to make it obsolete anyway.
Firework Photography
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Born Acorn wrote:Every square not used as a taxiway should be grass...
I suggest some nice grass without grid lines. The grid line looks very ugly there. Also curve the corners there; they are very sharp and not realistic.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

richk67 wrote:No. I used to work with radars - that would a) fry the living daylights out of the people in the hangar, and b) create an enormous blindspot. This airport is pretty much complete.
Well, not necessarily... Yes, they can cause damage within a close radius and without protection but they are normally situated further from people/aircraft or raised so that the lobes are above the level of people/aircraft. :) You would get a blindspot behind the hangar and that is probably the best place for an approach aerial to get the most accuracy. :)
Also, if you want something at the end of the runway, maybe a localiser aerial for an ILS system?

(By the way, the radar at my work (the one I use every day) is situated right next to the runway. We also have a Ground Movement Radar situated right above our heads too. ;))
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Yeah, I was simplifying it. If the radar was that close to a building, then it would have a blanking sector applied that automatically cut the beam as it swept around. Given the power that can still be in the lobes, I still wouldnt want to be in the path frequently.

Of course, if it was a planar array radar, you could just use beam-stearing to move the beam off-axis. However, it would still be a thumping great big blindspot.

One little funny occasion we had - a test radar had been set up, and we had assumed that since there were no buildings within 300yds, it was ok to transmit without raising the beam angle. 15 minutes later we get an inquiry from the police as to whether we are running any tests, since all the till alarms at the local supermarket have gone off!
Firework Photography
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

Sadly I cannot add one word answers as per the forum rules so Ive added this sentence just to support the following response....

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
littlemikey
Engineer
Engineer

Post by littlemikey »

okay, I feel like an idiot, I cant work out how to install this patch, I've moved the .patch and the .grf into the /data folder, but I cant get them to work. I tried renaming airports_173.grf to airports.grf (replacing the old one) but then the game didnt boot correctly (it said I didnt have airports.grf)

Can somebody help me?
RainierWatcher
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by RainierWatcher »

These airports are already in the game, both in 0.5.0+ and in nightlies. The newer real life airports are not released yet. I think thats what you want anyway.

The district ones are not, but I don't know if they would work anyway, the game might be confused by having both the trunk ones and the extra ones.
Ways of Preventing Death:
* Don't breathe air. Seriously. Everyone born before 1870 breathed the substance at some point in their life and every one of them is dead today. A coincidence? I think not.
Taken from uncyclopedia

Return to “OpenTTD Development”