Scenarios contest for 0.5.0 version

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Scenarios contest for 0.5.0 version

Post by Purno »

Darkvater asked me to organise something like a little contest to get some good scenarios and heightmaps to be included in OpenTTD 0.5.0 release. Here are the requirements;
  • No newgrf used of any kind (we want these scenarios to be playable out of the box)
  • Made in any 0.5.0 RC-version or previous official releases (0.4.8, 0.4.5, etc.)
  • Maximum of 100 custom town names
Furthermore we are looking for scenarios in a variety of sizes and climates (that does include at least 1 Toyland scenario, if available). So, please do not only submit überlarge maps as, while they can 'realistically' model real maps are often too big for new players, and do not fare too well on older computers.

Since 0.5.0 will have support for heightmaps, we would also like to bundle a few of those with the release. Again a variety of sizes and shapes, does not have to be real terrain, preferrably in png format.

Now, how to submit your scenarios / heightmap; post them
  • In this topic
  • Before Sunday 12:00 noon GMT
  • A clean scenario/heightmap file, not zipped or anything
  • With a screenshot ingame map showing the height of the terrain
  • The scenario must be made by you, the poster
By submitting your scenario you agree that your scenario will have the same license as OpenTTD.

If you have any questions, post them here. If you're interested in jurying, post here too, before Sunday 12:00 noon GMT.
Last edited by Purno on 10 Jan 2007 19:37, edited 2 times in total.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
davery83
Engineer
Engineer

Post by davery83 »

I posted this just now in scenarios, but I'm quite happy to submit it here to see what response I get!

Area: Cornwall, Isles of Scilly & North Devon
Size: 1024*1024
Amount of Towns/Villages: 155

As mentioned in the other thread, there are no industries on the map its more for making a passenger network than anything else.
Attachments
cornwall & isles of scilly.PNG
(97.16 KiB) Downloaded 845 times
Cornwall & Isles of Scilly.scn
(77.43 KiB) Downloaded 513 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

My brand new 128x128 scenario.
Attachments
Skadi Islands.scn
OTTD 0.5.0 RC scenario "Skadi Islands"
(15.85 KiB) Downloaded 568 times
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (92.2 KiB) Viewed 1970 times
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

davery83 wrote:I posted this just now in scenarios, but I'm quite happy to submit it here to see what response I get!

Amount of Towns/Villages: 155.
I do have to say that your scenario is VERY VERY flat. Last time I was in Cornwall it wasn't this flat. It could be your heightmap did this but I think it would be better to dramatize the landscape a bit.

And trees? Where are the trees? Cornwall has some huge natural parks of which I don't see anything back. Probably some farms would be good as well.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
davery83
Engineer
Engineer

Post by davery83 »

Darkvater wrote:
davery83 wrote:I posted this just now in scenarios, but I'm quite happy to submit it here to see what response I get!

Amount of Towns/Villages: 155.
I do have to say that your scenario is VERY VERY flat. Last time I was in Cornwall it wasn't this flat. It could be your heightmap did this but I think it would be better to dramatize the landscape a bit.

And trees? Where are the trees? Cornwall has some huge natural parks of which I don't see anything back. Probably some farms would be good as well.
Thanks for the advice, just played around with my heightmap a bit more, got a few more bumps! It was my first attempt though. Now to place the towns again.....
I'll see if I can get some industries this time too.
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

Darkvater wrote:And trees? Where are the trees?
At the rate that OpenTTD creates trees, there will be more than plenty by the 1970s.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I made some other silly scenario, a 64x2048 map, nice to build 1 large route...
Attachments
Baki - Coco.scn
OTTD 64*2048 map &quot;Baki - Coco&quot;
(132.36 KiB) Downloaded 592 times
screenshot #1.png
screenshot #1.png (18.81 KiB) Viewed 1933 times
Image Image
hertogjan
Director
Director

Post by hertogjan »

I use such maps for setting speed records with extreme maglev trains. The fastest I could get it was about 1608 km/h on a 2048 tile long map.
MacLir
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Scenario's contest for 0.5.0 version

Post by MacLir »

Purno wrote:... snip...
Since 0.5.0 will have support for heightmaps, we would also like to bundle a few of those with the release. Again a variety of sizes and shapes, does not have to be real terrain, preferrably in png format.

Now, how to submit your scenarios / heightmap; post them...
  • In this topic.
  • Before Sunday 12:00 noon GMT.
  • As a clean scenario/heightmap file, not zipped or anything.
  • With a screenshot of the scenario/heightmap.
NB: The scenario/heightmap must be made by you, the poster.
...snip...
Sorry the first post is a tad confusing. Are my corrections[1] in the quote accurate or am I still confused[2]?

[1] Corrections are all 'italised', which should be removed if used.
[2] I'm always confused to some extent. :D
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Aye, Darkvater edited my message. I didn't know a heightmap was a specific thing in OTTD.
Image Image
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I am working on a pretty nice map, which is 512 x 512. or so I think :P It's temperate, and I am only doing the landscape right now. It's gonna be totally home-made, not based on a real place, and it'll kick ass :P
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Just wondering, are the scenarios shipped with 0.4 not being shipped with 0.5? Or are these going to be added, and OpenTTD get even bigger? Or are only some of them being taken to 0.5?
davery83
Engineer
Engineer

Post by davery83 »

Changed my previous scenario a bit, added a couple of industries & made sure it was a bit more hilly.
Attachments
cornwall & isles of scilly.PNG
(127.58 KiB) Downloaded 555 times
Cornwall & Isles of Scilly 1024x1024.scn
(113.17 KiB) Downloaded 435 times
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

This map I have been working hard at. It's set in 2 islands with 2 minor islands outside, and it's set in a Spanish Talking area, therefore the names. Map size is 512 x 512, and it's rather hilly.

It's called Las Islas Verdes (The Green Islands)

Made by: Chrill and Saibot
Attachments
Las Islas Verdes.scn
(63.3 KiB) Downloaded 384 times
Las Islas Verdes.PNG
Las Islas Verdes.PNG (45.72 KiB) Viewed 1689 times
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Does anyone remember the original TTD scenario named "West Country (randomnumbers)"? I decided to make something in a similar style to it, but as geographically (except heights, since it was a time before heightmaps, and I feel that'd be too easy :p )

This is meant to re-capture the gameplay of that old map by making the land quite even all around.

However, if you decide to lay into Wales, you'll find the ground is a bit higher. (but still flat) :p

I've done the road networks too, like in West Country.
Attachments
Wales and West England.scn
(349.62 KiB) Downloaded 606 times
westengland.png
(68.61 KiB) Downloaded 585 times
wales.png
wales.png (65.3 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
doktorhonig
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by doktorhonig »

Your second image is a renamed bmp-file. :?
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

hmm, so it was. That must come from my habit of renaming PNG to png every time.
mosfet
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mosfet »

Can't help thinking that Oxford, Swindow, Bath and Gloucester are really bunched up, otherwise enjoyable to play.
fr_tycoon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by fr_tycoon »

Hi everyone !

This is the occasion to add my very first scenario.

Heightmap created with Adobe Photoshop, town names from various countries.

Feel free to give me advice, as this is my first scenario !
Attachments
Terra Incognita.scn
Terra Incognita scenario
(82.74 KiB) Downloaded 364 times
Map of &amp;quot;Terra Incognita&amp;quot;
Map of &quot;Terra Incognita&quot;
terraincognita.jpg (553.48 KiB) Viewed 1672 times
doktorhonig
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by doktorhonig »

Looks like chances are great for a toyland scenario.
Honeypot Ridge!
Attachments
Honeypot Ridge.scn
(38.53 KiB) Downloaded 311 times
Honeypot Ridge.png
Honeypot Ridge.png (30.42 KiB) Viewed 1621 times

Return to “General OpenTTD”