Tropic Station Set [WIP]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

What variants of copper ore unloading station do you like?

Poll ended at 14 Aug 2007 12:11

23%
27%
16%
19%
15%

Total votes: 62

MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

maquinista, thanks for your cooperation, but it wouldn't look like this. It would be more like this:

P.S. At least I thank you for making me create own preview which allowed me to see some misalignements which I'll fix soon :P
Attachments
Shedspreview.png
Shedspreview.png (5.02 KiB) Viewed 3958 times
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

I 'm always happy when I see nice cargo specific new station graphics!
Please do something with the copper piles. They stand out from the rest of the image as "postit-it" notes. Try to make the transition from the ground to them more smooth. Put some pixels of "ore" here and there. See the following for a rough idea. It needs some more work though.
Attachments
copperpile.png
copperpile.png (27.13 KiB) Viewed 3904 times
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

New sheds are on their way, I'll post some pics soon :)
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Nice work MeusH, keep up the good work :!:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

I've tweaked the white shed so that it looks actually like plastered, I hope. There are some windows and ugly moulds.
Brick shed now has skylights. You may notice its texture is smoother, less random.
I've fixed issues of too short elements so now two tiles join together nicely.

Akalamanaia, I've made a ramp in the platform, is that what you meant?

WhiteHand and M4rek, do you mean platforms are too wide, leaving too little space for trains?

I'm afraid I won't create preview right now, because it's too time consuming so I'll make previews more rarely. I hope you can imagine the station, however.
Of course I'll create previews instantly I have a .nfo... please? Anyone would like to join me and cooperate? :P
Attachments
Sheds4.png
Sheds4.png (9.29 KiB) Viewed 3731 times
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Following Wallyweb's suggestion about WhiteHand's and M4rek's concerns, I created a small preview that shows train fitting nicely to both sheds and platforms.
Thank you wallyweb, I found I forgot about fixing the roof. Besides shadow on roof tiles, there is a strange distortion in the roof's shape - I'll fix it soon.
Attachments
Shedspreview2.png
Shedspreview2.png (5.96 KiB) Viewed 3711 times
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

I've been suggested to reduce width of a platform. You can see comparison of both sizes in two pictures. The changes are small, but I think smaller platforms look nice, too.
Attachments
Shedspreview2_with_platform.png
Shedspreview2_with_platform.png (6 KiB) Viewed 3683 times
platforms1.png
platforms1.png (1.48 KiB) Viewed 3684 times
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

much better, a jolly good job

Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Athorium »

awesome. Excellent work :D
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

That's it! Well done! The edge of the platform is much better defined. :D
Somebody get this man a coder! :wink:
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Thank you :)

Wallyweb, so you like thinner platforms. Do you also like a line defining edge of a platform? Which one? A subtle beige, a dark colour that makes good shading, or a wild yellow/red? :P
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

MeusH wrote:Thank you :)

Wallyweb, so you like thinner platforms. Do you also like a line defining edge of a platform? Which one? A subtle beige, a dark colour that makes good shading, or a wild yellow/red? :P
Hmmm ... a difficult question to answer. I liked the way they are now, however, some platforms do have a contrasting line at the edge to warn people not to get too close. Why don't you try a section of each to see how they look to you? What would be typical for a tropical location?
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Waiting for more comments on sheds (please :) ) I've been trying to make something nice. I will re-draw civil buildings on stations - recently I saw beautiful buildings of the other sets, while my buildings were just cubes with sloped roof. But no longer, I'm going to have a nice set, too :)
Back to station I've drawn: This would be the middle-aged maize-loading station. The one I've just drawn has also a small building to be scattered around the station, there is also a waypoint. The blue parts are company colours, not windows.

I tried to make the station similiar to http://www.parheim.mb.ca/grain-elevator.jpg however it was difficult to draw, and not nice to see many pipes here and there, so the loading part seems to be closer to http://www.pcl.com/media/files/Projects ... _1_300.jpg

These are my concept photo of the earliest elevators:
http://www.dsphotographic.com/g2/4724-3 ... +-+003.jpg
http://www.rbellinger.com/blog/uploaded ... 719788.JPG

And these may be modern elevators:
http://www.roadfan.com/north_platte_grain_elevator.jpg
http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/GeoImages ... EVATOR.JPG

Edit: The second one looks better imo. What do you think?
Attachments
maize3.png
maize3.png (18.38 KiB) Viewed 3477 times
maize3b.png
maize3b.png (15.16 KiB) Viewed 3450 times
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by skidd13 »

MeusH wrote:Edit: The second one looks better imo. What do you think?
Awesome work! Agreed, the second one looks better.

What about a gold mine station with some security fences and a wooden watchtower?
What does that mean - the circumstances? I determine what circumstances prevail. -- Napoleon Bonaparte
---
If we cannot end now our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity. -- John F. Kennedy
---
Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings. -- John F. Kennedy
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

Holy moly. :shock:
I think you should keep both types of station sprites, so you have bare grass for smaller stations, and some platforms for the larger ones. Let the coder(s) figure out how to do it. :P
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

looking very good! i like the plastered buildings (which indeed look quite plastered) and the silos, which reminds me of the industrial stations set silos. and about the ground tiles, i have to agree with the Pink, eh, White Rabbit. both as optional seperates would be best.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Thank you :) Now, with your positive feedback, I'll try to finalize sheds and re-do the city station. With finished sheds, I'll be able to make a modern copper ore unloader.

Skidd13, I plan to make desert stations, looking like http://tabisite.com/gallery_as/india/RJ/1054trie.jpg and maybe http://tabisite.com/gallery_as/india/RJ/1071jsgs.jpg
One version will be enhanced to protect valuable diamonds from the desert greed :)

So, in the far future, I'll make a desert station, wood loading station, water loading station, oil loading/unloading stations and probably some general industry station.

MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Wood loading and/or unloading station. What do you think about it? Seems like I should put more into it... but more what?
Also, where would you like to see company colour? Frankly I've got no idea right now where to draw it.

I like the metallic colour of a crane, but seems like this colour blends into background, so I'd need to use some dark turquoise or yellow colour, which is wild IMO but seems to be popular among newgrf cranes

By the way, I've made a tracking table :)
However, it's too empty now and I'll have to fill more "done" soon.

I'd also like a coder to tell me more about optimal creating single sprites (in PM or on IRC) so that the coder (or the other coder) won't have trouble bugging me and I won't have trouble re-doing something. Thank you in advance.
Attachments
wood1.png
wood1.png (33.54 KiB) Viewed 3136 times
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

MeusH wrote:but more what?
Wood maybe? :P
Or maybe some loading stages, like industry stations have?

Return to “Graphics Development”