450 degree turn and drive through itself

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

RiTi
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

450 degree turn and drive through itself

Post by RiTi »

At the screenshot you see a train driving through itself because of a 450 degree turn. The train comes from the depot, goes straigt ahead because of a green signal to go to a free entry at the same station on the right side (see screenshot 2). On it's way the signal goes on red and at the same time the station left gives a entry free and therefor a green signal. This makes the train turn and drive through itself to enter the station. In this case YAPF is on.

I like the solution of the AI, but it's not correct that it's possible that a train can drive through itself. I think that in this case the train should stop and wait for the green signal to go on to the station on the right side (in the first pricture you can see that the signal for the right station is already on green).
Attachments
Transport, 14 Mrt 1978_2.png
(85.92 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
Transport, 14 Mrt 1978_1.png
(104.41 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
Keep life simple...
sc79
Director
Director

Post by sc79 »

Its a bug that has existed for a long time. Im sure its known, I just doubt its real high priority.
Ailure
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Ailure »

Yeah, considering it rarely happens on most networks, it's not really a problem... I mean, after all that's gotta be one of the most unrealistic and cluttered networks I seen so far. >_> And all thoose sharp corners... not too effective either. :p
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

It's a really rare event and it happened because there were no green signals. The train leaving the station blocked the vacant track when the train should decide what track to head for and no exit -> nowhere to go and it circles. A proper layout and not too dense traffic should solve this. It's bad for profits to have that many trains idle in a station for a long time.
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

Or just have trains crash when they collide with their own wagons. It's more realistic, and an incentive to build better junctions. :lol:
RiTi
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by RiTi »

I think that tracklayout is not the problem. The problem is the train. I see two solutions:

1. The train stops and waits for a green signal (blocking the whole crossing is oké because the builder is so stupid 8) to make it possible)
2. If the train can turn and is crossing itself then it should collide (like White Rabbit wrote)

P.s. to Ailure. I like my network. Sharp corners is no problem to me. :)
P.s. to Bjarni. This map is just starting so all the trains are leaving the depot, That's why you see such dense trafiic at the station. If the map is set for about 2 years it's running perfect. :wink:
Keep life simple...
Sacro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sacro »

RiTi wrote:I think that tracklayout is not the problem. The problem is the train. I see two solutions
Not even the crossing tunnels?
We Am De Best

Host of ThroughTheTube site
RiTi
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by RiTi »

Sacro wrote:Not even the crossing tunnels?
Tunnel crossing is very handy to avoid track crossings where trains have to wait for each other. :wink:
Keep life simple...
thepizzaking
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: 450 degree turn and drive through itself

Post by thepizzaking »

RiTi wrote:At the screenshot you see a train driving through itself because of a 450 degree turn.
450 degrees?
I think that's a bit high, from what I can see it's only a 270 degree turn.
I'm A Cobra (or so the rumours go) :)
Get OpenTTD, It's awesome!!
RiTi
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: 450 degree turn and drive through itself

Post by RiTi »

thepizzaking wrote:450 degrees? I think that's a bit high, from what I can see it's only a 270 degree turn.
Yep, you're right (somewhat overdone I think). :wink:
Keep life simple...

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”