Post *** ALL MiniIN Problems *** Here please

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by Moriarty »

It's easy enough to confirm. Just look at your train info. It has all the relevent weights. :)
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Yup, this is a bug introduced during syncing with trunk...

Code: Select all

for (u = v; u != NULL; u = u->next) {
		const RailVehicleInfo *rvi = RailVehInfo(u->engine_type);
		uint32 vweight = (_cargoc.weights[u->cargo_type] * u->cargo_count * FreightWagonMult(u)) / 16;
		vweight *= FreightWagonMult(u);
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
Nickel_Plate
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Nickel_Plate »

Freight Train Multiplier see this thread which as never been answered.

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=28681
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

Haha, my wood trains are supposed to weigh 840 tonnes when full, but instead they weigh 4504 tonnes. Poor 2-10-0s... even the Big Boy was only designed to pull 3600 tonnes. :lol:
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Moriarty »

I got bored so I decided to make the multiplier 60.
My poor little wood train suddenly weighed 500,000 tons (yes, half a million Tons! :) ).
The train still got up to 14kph though! (Using realistic physics), and who knew they made the bridges that strong! 8)

Note: This is fixed in today's stock nightly.
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Moriarty »

Unrelated problem:
I run stock and miniIN nightlies from the same directory, replacing one with the other as I feel, and thus they both use the same config file.

Problem is, this line in the config causes issues:

display_opt = SHOW_TOWN_NAMES|SHOW_STATION_NAMES|SHOW_SIGNS|FULL_ANIMATION|FULL_DETAIL|WAYPOINTS
It's hard to explain - basically if the line exists in the config, stock OTTD complains. If I delete the line, MiniIN complains but stock runs fine.

And when I say complain, I mean they both bring up a "ok | cancel" box [ini: invalid value] when I start or close OTTD - which is silly because whether I click ok or cancel nothing different happens. The game itself runs fine.

They should just handle it gracefully.
glx
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by glx »

Trunk and MiniIN don't have the same settings in openttd.cfg so it would be better to use different config file for each and run them using "openttd -c configfile.cfg"
Nickel_Plate
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Nickel_Plate »

When trying to load a game from previous Mini i am getting a newgrf error.

Running Mini Version 7379

"Could't find newgrf FFFFFFFF (bigdepots_822.grf) checksum 00000000000000000000000000000000"

This grf file is in Data Dir and in config file.
Last edited by Nickel_Plate on 08 Dec 2006 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Moriarty »

glx wrote:Trunk and MiniIN don't have the same settings in openttd.cfg so it would be better to use different config file for each and run them using "openttd -c configfile.cfg"
I guessed that was the case. But why do they have to fail so noisily? Other than that one line, neither of them cares what the other says.

This is poor UI - the user shouldn't be bothered with trivial things that are out of their purview. Especially not with an ok/cancel choice where both options appear to do the exact same thing.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Yeah, we should just ignore a bad config file and never tell the user anything is wrong.

Seems like a great choice to me...
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Moriarty wrote:This is poor UI - the user shouldn't be bothered with trivial things that are out of their purview. Especially not with an ok/cancel choice where both options appear to do the exact same thing.
OpenTTD and the MiniIN are open source. You are welcome to recode this to your requirements.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Moriarty »

richk67 wrote:
Moriarty wrote:This is poor UI - the user shouldn't be bothered with trivial things that are out of their purview. Especially not with an ok/cancel choice where both options appear to do the exact same thing.
OpenTTD and the MiniIN are open source. You are welcome to recode this to your requirements.
*sigh*
That's what we call a "cop out".
Not everyone is a coder. I am yes, but not of the languages/techniques relevent here.
Instead I offer my expertise in the form of bug finding and general UI pointers - things which I am good at.
My point remains - it's poor UI.
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Moriarty wrote:Instead I offer my expertise in the form of bug finding and general UI pointers - things which I am good at.
My point remains - it's poor UI.
Don't know why it would be a poor UI. The actual meaning of the box is to make you attent to an error in your configuration file so you can fix it. Once you have fixed it, you will never see that window again. It's meant to be used, even if it is, as how you describe it.

The only poor UI part would be the 'ok/cancel' button, but if you press cancel a console is created where all further debugging messages are printed. If you don't want any windows to 'pop up', start openttd with the -d flag and everything goes into the console.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Moriarty »

The OK/Cancel is the poor UI part I was refering to as there is no clear disparity between what two do.

On the other hand, bothering the user with a message about something trivial that is almost certainly beyond their ken isn't exactly good UI either.
"Average" users don't want to have to play with config files or command line options - they want it to work. Heck I'm a non-average user and I'd rather not have to deal with pointless error messages (the game works with the faulty config, thus interrupting the loading process to warn me is pointless).

Solution (as this is supposed to be "constructive" criticism :) ): Spot the error and fix it automatically. If it won't effect the user then why bother them?
Quark
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Quark »

I agreed that good program must fix this trivial automaticaly and put a line about that into console if it is enabled and better to errors list with check that this error isn't already reported :) Like in compiler I don't want to see one warning about same line 1000 times.
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Moriarty wrote:On the other hand, bothering the user with a message about something trivial that is almost certainly beyond their ken isn't exactly good UI either.
You do know that if you play normally you never get this warning window, don't you? That you start mixing versions is your own fault.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Quark
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Quark »

Darkvater wrote:
Moriarty wrote:On the other hand, bothering the user with a message about something trivial that is almost certainly beyond their ken isn't exactly good UI either.
You do know that if you play normally you never get this warning window, don't you? That you start mixing versions is your own fault.
It's upgrade/downgrade problem, like when you load savegame in MiniIN from 0.4.8 it's automatically upgraded to MiniIN version without complaining, so it must also be done with config file. Also it will be a good idea to make possible to remove some patch's data from savegame with higher version if it's not fatal to gameplay :)
penticrack
Engineer
Engineer

Post by penticrack »

a long time ago i run a miniIN server. now i want to upgrade it.
but it dont want to start. i DL the dedicated linux version.

here the error, i searched the forum , but no answer on this question...

censored@censored:~/ttd_mini> ./openttd -D
./openttd: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
censored@censored:~/ttd_mini>
what file is missing? i copied the standard missig data files into the data folder... plz help me :)
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Moriarty »

Darkvater wrote:
A valid point, but just because it's unlikely to happen doesn't mean it won't.
djidee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by djidee »

Two things i walk against:

- Huge growth of city's when you serve them with trains or buses, it isn't cool anymore... A stop city growth switch/patch would be handy...

- With the longbuses.grf some buses who come available later in the game, are standard filled with goods, don't know if it's a mini in problem.. It happends with the buses Neoplan N122/3 , the Mercedes )315RHD, Volvo 9700.. All others are good.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”