New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread (Works In Progress)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

brupje
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by brupje »

TagDaze wrote:By the openings in the fence near the middle of the picture. I should probably use two vertical bars too, so the opening is clearer.
Is there a uniform grass texture somewhere, btw? Else all types of grass are going to end up differently.
in default meterials there is

I like the tennis court. Only the trees are somewhat weird.
Raven
Director
Director

Post by Raven »

has anybody considered that at this size, the lack of people, or motion, would be far too great? Or even too much detail. In TTD you can have 20 buildings looking the same, fine. Now, if every single one depicts a red&white umbrella and two chairs, it starts looking odd.

Please consider this before spending thousands of hours modelling.

Regards
6th Member of the Reciox - The Inner Circle

pak96 Simutrans Depot
http://www.raven.simutrans.com
TagDaze
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TagDaze »

brupje wrote:I like the tennis court. Only the trees are somewhat weird.
That's because this is a quick render. If I would render the trees in full detail, it would keep my computer occupied for 15 long minutes. :P
Expect trees like the ones in my first post in this thread in the final render.
brupje wrote:in default meterials there is [a grass texture]
I'm using 3ds, not Blender... Could someone point me towards a texture pack in JPG/PNG, which I can use in 3ds? I'd love to keep making grass and dirt in all the colors of the rainbow, but it's going to have to blend into the gameworld eventually.
brupje
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by brupje »

TagDaze wrote:
brupje wrote:I like the tennis court. Only the trees are somewhat weird.
That's because this is a quick render. If I would render the trees in full detail, it would keep my computer occupied for 15 long minutes. :P
Expect trees like the ones in my first post in this thread in the final render.
nm then :p
TagDaze wrote:
brupje wrote:in default meterials there is [a grass texture]
I'm using 3ds, not Blender... Could someone point me towards a texture pack in JPG/PNG, which I can use in 3ds? I'd love to keep making grass and dirt in all the colors of the rainbow, but it's going to have to blend into the gameworld eventually.
problem is, it's using a particle system and two colors to render grass. It's not just a texture.
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

Raven wrote:has anybody considered that at this size, the lack of people, or motion, would be far too great? Or even too much detail. In TTD you can have 20 buildings looking the same, fine. Now, if every single one depicts a red&white umbrella and two chairs, it starts looking odd.

Please consider this before spending thousands of hours modelling.

Regards
So your solution is to just not model at all?

If it starts to look repetitive, new approaches will be thought up to solve the problem. A very viable one would be the same approach as has been taken in sim city 4: the building and surrounding ground are two different things that can be randomly combined. But no matter how that problem will be addressed, it will be addressed.

Not modelling will never get us anywhere. So please, continue spending thousands of hours modelling without considering this.

give us more awesome work :D
Raven
Director
Director

Post by Raven »

Of course you can put whatever words you wish into my mouth...

The ground + buildings is quite a good idea to add randomness, so separate layers with details would save both precious time and filespace.

Now, perhaps very big is too big, more when nobody is going to be able to use those tennis courts or sit down on those tables to have a drink. THe lack of life is what I'm talking about.

But hey, it's better to point out the problems right? Or you want people to work just because you want, not thinking the consequences? If plans change in the middle of the project, will goes down the sink. Remember the japan set? I had to redo all locomotives twice because of scale problems; no need to say it wasn't fun, in fact it was the last (serious) thing I did for TTD.

Also, I once started a project for Simutrans with a tilesize of 200 pixels, problem? Too much time to get things running, even when you do so, the feeling is not the same. Blame the engine or whatever you like, but hey, better start looking for solutions ASAP right?

Anyway, thanks for the active ignoring you call for, such rudeness has been understood and written down.

Regards
6th Member of the Reciox - The Inner Circle

pak96 Simutrans Depot
http://www.raven.simutrans.com
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

TagDaze: There has been grass made, and due to no complaints I asumed it would go forward. I made a replicer of this in max, (I think its a replicer, but may need tweeking). Its just a partical effect made relative to a grass blade.

Raven: you seemed to take that post rather offensivelly. I think these problems should be taken in there stride rather than alowed to prevent progression prior to there arrival. There has been a lot of discussion about scale and everything else, and I hope that the spec that is the current aim has been scrutanized to the extent that it won't change drastically.

Korenn: Good to see support, the evalution of peoples work seems to have been limited in here recently. and...

Araciron: ...leading on from that, That airport terminal is extreamly good. The 60's has been captured perfectly, and the array of dishes and areils that fill the roof top of the tower is quality.
Ben
brupje
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by brupje »

Raven wrote: Now, perhaps very big is too big, more when nobody is going to be able to use those tennis courts or sit down on those tables to have a drink. THe lack of life is what I'm talking about.

Anyway, thanks for the active ignoring you call for, such rudeness has been understood and written down.

Regards
I can see your point I think. But, we are just replacing current graphics with better looking ones, and additionally add the capability to zoom more. The great thing abount rendering images is, that you can change it rather easily, no need to redo all your work.

But in the current situation there are animated graphics (like the coal mines), therefore we might think about how to maintain that functionality.
brupje
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by brupje »

Here's an update for mu bus station, probably near final by now. Thanks to ben_robbin's texture it fits the road :)
Attachments
station2.rar
(702.79 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
station.png
station.png (44.75 KiB) Viewed 5697 times
station_road.png
station_road.png (78.24 KiB) Viewed 5697 times
Telekoman
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Telekoman »

Oh boy that does look good!
Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
Field-Mouse
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Field-Mouse »

Airport looks fantastic! Not like the original one though.. but fantastic still! :D

The tennis court looks nice, but there are a few things I would like to point out:
1 - What is holding the fence up? Add pretty wide bars in the corners and at the openings and add lighter bars all along the fence in order to keep it up, just like a real fence like that.
2 - The text "TENNIS" is according to me not a language problem. However I can aggree a couple of rackets would look better, text is so boring, pictures to illustrate is better than text! Just like we could write "mail" on the side of the mailtrucks it would look better with a truck that clearly looks like a mailtruck (realistic or not). Just like the original version.
3- A small platform for the audience? just a small one for family and such..
ZxBiohazardZx
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ZxBiohazardZx »

ZxBiohazardZx wrote:ok this time i could edit this train-depot:
see page 106

plz download it, and add some textures to my depot, i'd hate to see it disappear down there:P
BerberJesus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BerberJesus »

Here my new fountain. I will animate it soon.
Attachments
brunnen3klein.png
brunnen3klein.png (118.26 KiB) Viewed 5543 times
Aracirion
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Aracirion »

@BerberJesus: wow, that looks wonderful!

@Ben/Fieldmouse: Thx for comments. The original aiport seems impossible to take over to me. Its a very simple graphic, and the size is not adequate if we want planes to be a bit bigger than in original.

@Raven: yeah maybe some parts look lifeless but animations will add life, and maybe in the future things like town traffic can be added. Anyway, if we model for that zoom level, then one level less will still look good.
TagDaze
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TagDaze »

BerberJesus wrote:Here my new fountain. I will animate it soon.
And here I am working on a half-assed football/tennis stadium. I know it's volunteers work, but I've still got a looooong way to go. Great stuff you guys make.
TagDaze: There has been grass made, and due to no complaints I asumed it would go forward. I made a replicer of this in max, (I think its a replicer, but may need tweeking). Its just a partical effect made relative to a grass blade.
So, how do I get this particle effect? I'd like to implement it in my models ASAP. Or am I being stupid and missing a point here?

Also, I'll change the sign.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Are these just for the heck of it, or are these been developed to go in game, apart fro mthis thread i find no evidence to suggest the latter.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
brupje
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by brupje »

Captain Kirk wrote:Are these just for the heck of it, or are these been developed to go in game, apart fro mthis thread i find no evidence to suggest the latter.
there is an openttd32 fork, which adds the capability to replace existing images with these images. In short: yes, they are supposed to go into the game.
HornedBeast
Engineer
Engineer

Post by HornedBeast »

Is there a nightly where we can try out all these newly implemented graphics?

Just there seems to be no information for new-comers as to what all of these graphics are, what they're for... or otherwise.

Im all very confused :(.
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by Moriarty »

HornedBeast wrote:Is there a nightly where we can try out all these newly implemented graphics?

Just there seems to be no information for new-comers as to what all of these graphics are, what they're for... or otherwise.

Im all very confused :(.
No, you can't download it.
But I believe you can go and find and compile it yourself. It's somewhere in SVN I think.

These graphics are for a future version of OTTD. They can't be implemented in current OTTD. For that you'll want to look at grfs which generally occupy this board: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewforum.php?f=26
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

BerberJesus: That is outstanding. I hope it animates to look as good as it does now.

TagDaze: I'll attach a max file in a bit, cause it wil be easier than discribing it. Ill check over that its the same as the blender one, and the colour is the same as the original tt graphics.

HornedBeast: There are some builds here: http://emil.djupfeldt.se/ottd/32bpp//test_build/ This is only put there thanks to Egladil, so its not a standard daily release or anything.
Ben

Return to “Graphics Development”