YAPF - Testers needed!

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

KUDr
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by KUDr »

DannyA: yes, i understand what you want to do, but it seem to me like you want the exactly opposite way of load balancing behavior: "look around and if you see any traffic jam, go there". Such "Traffic jammer" could be powerful weapon when used against competitors.

If you convince me, that it could be useful feature, I can for example add another polynomial (3 values, default = 0) for green signals. Or i can treat negative polynomial results as the positive penalties for green signals. Then you will be able to do what you want. But don't forget, that this will cause traffic jams to happen more often and last much longer (all trains will try to attend, not avoid traffic jams).
DannyA
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DannyA »

Spot on! In the wrong hands, it could indeed be quite nasty I think. :)

I was a little bit bored before, and went for a bit more graphical aproach - attached png. There's some notes there about jams etc.

I think which ever way is the simplest and has the lowest impact on performance would be best. Having a seccond polynomial would probably allow more control over exactly which signals behavied this way, and their importance, but it could become very complicated to predict how the two formulas would combine in all circumstances - to know what the penalty would be. As far as I can see, there is no difference between having a constant penalty for green signals as I suggested before, or treating negative penalties as the positive penalty for green. Increasing the constant green penalty would be the same as reducing the p0 of the red polynomial.

Some sort of programable signals, or perhaps call back script may be a better way to handle anything requiring a more complicated solution. Learning bit of lua might be on the cards for me too...

I tried to test this idea when it looked like it was working in 7130 (save), but I don't think it is a good way to test a merger - with the loops etc, but here's the results anyway:

Code: Select all

Good Production			Trains on track
Year	Month	Jammer		Normal		Jammer		Normal
Avg		Avg		4,095		3,885		55 / 70		52 / 70
2076	Jan		4200		3780		55 / 70		51 / 70
2076	Feb		3195		4290		55 / 70		50 / 70
2076	Mar		3525		2850		54 / 70		49 / 70
2076	Apr		5460		3360		54 / 70		50 / 70
2076	May		4200		4200		54 / 70		51 / 70
2076	Jun		3360		3780		56 / 70		52 / 70
2076	Jul		4035		4035		57 / 70		51 / 70
2076	Aug		4365		3525		58 / 70		51 / 70
2076	Sep		4200		4620		57 / 70		51 / 70
2076	Oct		4200		3360		57 / 70		52 / 70
2076	Nov		4875		4035		57 / 70		52 / 70
2076	Dec		4365		3945		56 / 70		52 / 70
2077	Jan		3360		3360		56 / 70		53 / 70
2077	Feb		4455		3780		55 / 70		54 / 70
2077	Mar		4785		3780		54 / 70		54 / 70
2077	Apr		3780		4620		53 / 70		55 / 70
2077	May		4200		4200		53 / 70		55 / 70
2077	Jun		3360		3780		53 / 70		54 / 70
2077	Jul		3360		3780		54 / 70		54 / 70
2077	Aug		4710		4200		55 / 70		54 / 70
2077	Sep		4110		4290		56 / 70		54 / 70
2077	Oct		4200		3690		55 / 70		53 / 70
2077	Nov		3780		4875		54 / 70		52 / 70
2077	Dec		4200		3105		55 / 70		52 / 70
Attachments
Write.YAPF.Settings.txt
This script needs to be run in the save game to change from defaults YAPF settings to the 'Jammer/Assert' settings.
(exec write.yapf.settings.txt)
(2.07 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
Look-Ahead Merger Test.sav
The implementaion... (Don't mind my spelling)
(215.59 KiB) Downloaded 324 times
Look-Ahead Merger Idea.PNG
The convincing...
(373.66 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
KUDr
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by KUDr »

DannyA: ok, you have convinced me that you probably know what you are doing, although i don't fully understand your merger (ie. the purpose of the loop with two way red sig.).

So I'll try to collect some pieces of time and will do it for you. Don't you want to help me with newsignals project? There I want to use LUA script for defining signal behavior. Then YAPF should only read some info from the signals and be able to decide properly. Something like "global train coordinator".

The first part should be tile edge signals. Then LUA and play with scripts until we have built the prototype.
DannyA
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DannyA »

KUDr Thanks, that would be great.

The two way in a loop was just a little trick I used to allow the pathfinder to see a valid path (from a distance) which trains could never actually go down.

I'm starting to wonder a little bit about you, KUDr, and what this new signal project is really about. First you see the jammer as a weapon, then ask about me helping with something to do with LUA, who acording to the wiki "was a goddess to whom soldiers sacrificed captured weapons"! It all sounds a little bit sus to me...

Nah, just kidding. ;)

I'm sure I would enjoy helping with the new signals project very much actually - it sounds very interesting & exciting.
I've always been a bit facinated with AI programming, and wanted to learn more about it, but have never really got around to it. (no thanks to people making games like OpenTTD:) )

From reading the other wiki article on LUA, it sounds like it would be perfect for the job. Being able to customise signal behaviour with even the simplest logic could be used in place of huge bird's nests of track I think.

I suppose I had better get this bloody visual studio install fixed so I can at least compile the thing - something I've been procrastinating about for a while now.

If you could let me how I might be able to find out some more about new signals, or how I might be able to help, that would be great.

P.S - Although I don't always know what I'm doing, I always know exactly what I'm trying to do... ;)
KUDr
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by KUDr »

DannyA: r7164
DannyA
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DannyA »

Thanks KUDr, that works well.
When I was looking at that in r7176, I noticed flat bridges over slopes still have the slope penalty applied.
Attachments
Bridge slope penalty.png
Bridge slope penalty.png (48.79 KiB) Viewed 956 times
RiTi
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by RiTi »

DannyA wrote:When I was looking at that in r7176, I noticed flat bridges over slopes still have the slope penalty applied.
That's the correct way it should work. I think that the bridge itself gives (or has to give) the penalty because of the max. speed the bridge has. The max. speed of a bridge can make fast trains to slow down on the bridge. Therefor I would prefer the choice to take the fast way and that's not the bridge.

I have read all your recent topics and the replies of KUDr. I think I know what you want but you make it to complex. What you need is a handy choice between two things:

1. The shortest route from A to B and
2. The fastest route form A to B.

The first one is a (heavy) calculation but can be made one time at the start of the train. The second one is more complex because the train has to deal with traffic on the route. It's almost impossible to calculate this at the start of the train. The only option is that the total railroad network is constantly being monitored (with very heavy load on computer memory) that the train on way can constantly make new discissions. But that is not how it works in normal railway live. In normal live it's not the train that makes discissions but a route planner (a human being with the help of a computer). The route planner makes for every train on the network the planning (where to go, what time, where to stop, which route, etc.). He has to deal with the question of cargo at stations, the railroadnetwork, the amount of trains and the type of trains. That's you're job to in game and in general not the job of the pathfinder. You can influence that by making a good network and a good signal system and using way-points to force you're trains to take a certain route. What you really need is a timetable for you're trains. By sending trains on a specific time on route you have what you want and then you're the merger (not the pathfinder). That would make the whole game more complex for the player but with a lot of extra fun. :wink:
Keep life simple...
DannyA
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DannyA »

Thanks for the comments Riti.
I like your idea of a route planner too.

The way those bridges are handled is not correct though, as the train chooses to go around the flat bridge, and over the raised one. I found that only bridges which have a speed limit lower than the max speed of the vehicle have a pathfinder penalty applied - (TrainMaxSpeed - BridgeMaxSpeed) / TrainMaxSpeed * 100 per tile.

Since I got visual studio working again I thought I'de have a crack at fixing the bridge slope bug myself. It's not immediatly obvious to me what a good way of working out if going through a tile in a cirtain direction with a bridge involves climbing a ramp or not. First impressions are that there are several ways of defining directions, slopes, etc some related with rail, some more landscape related etc, so will have to look a bit further.
KUDr
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by KUDr »

r7227: /trunk/yapf/yapf_costbase.hpp: -Fix: [YAPF] Bridge YAPF Penalty Incorrect. The penalty for upward slope was incorrectly applied on bridge exit. (Danny)
RiTi
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by RiTi »

KUDr wrote:r7227: /trunk/yapf/yapf_costbase.hpp: -Fix: [YAPF] Bridge YAPF Penalty Incorrect. The penalty for upward slope was incorrectly applied on bridge exit. (Danny)
Nice r7227 but at the moment not for windows, this ends at r7194. :wink:
Keep life simple...
RiTi
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by RiTi »

DannyA wrote:Thanks for the comments Riti. I like your idea of a route planner too.
Thanks. Now how to move on? What kind of (what's in it) route planner and how do we get a route planner? Maybe first starting a new topic because this goes beyond Yapf (or KUDr doesn't mind we go on in this topic)?
Keep life simple...
DannyA
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DannyA »

RiTi:
Yeah, I reckon a new topic, maybe in suggestions if there is not already something similar would be the best way to follow that up. I need to get my head around how the existing stuff works a bit better before I can suggest new stuff or changes, so might look at fixing some other bugs - since KUDr beat me to this one... :)
orcaz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by orcaz »

I use r7243
I get this error. I dint get this kind of error before as far I remember.
Attachments
13211_201.png
13211_201.png (29.29 KiB) Viewed 6643 times
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

orcaz wrote:I use r7243
I get this error. I dint get this kind of error before as far I remember.
1) What were you doing at the time the error happened?
2) You didn't get this kind of error before what?
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
orcaz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by orcaz »

1-I was trying to remove town road at level crossing
2-This is the first time I get this kind of error
glx
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by glx »

The correct version is r7243-MiniIN :)
KUDr
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by KUDr »

orcaz: please, can you confirm that you are able to reproduce it in trunk (not MiniIN) before r7327 and try if it is fixed in r7327 or above?

I am not sure if it is related as I wasn't able to reproduce the problem.

r7327: -Fix: [YAPF] missing YAPF cache notification when building road on rail (new crossing) or removing road from crossing

Also please specify better what you did before it happened (if you removed the road piece from the level crossing or if you was about to do it and the problem occured just before).

thanks
orcaz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by orcaz »

Im sorry, I cannot reproduced the bug. Im tried to do the same thing. But nothing happened (even in MiniIN). It seem too random.

And I was about to remove the road on crossing. i click on road construction menu>click on road>click on remove road>go to location>click and the same time the eror appear. (all in pause).

And I also have remove many road from crossing using the same method but the error dont appear. And, the bug cannot be reproduced. Im also confused. But, can anyone tell me what those error means?
KUDr
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by KUDr »

Then there must be something very bad. YAPF is not invoked during pause (no vehicles need its support when they don't move). So if it really happened during pause, I suspect the MiniIN has some serious problem...
DannyA
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DannyA »

I'm trying to extend yapf to detect and penalise paths heading towards nearby intersections when there is another train heading towards the same intersection (roughly the same distance away).

Plan is to have some patch settings like these:
Max_Forsight_Distance - how far in front to look for trains - maybe 10 tiles
Min_Front_Gap - allow for this much space in front of the train
Min_Rear_Gap - allow for this much space behind the train
Intersection_Busy_Penalty - the penalty applied

Hopefully, by having an overflow loop short distance before merging tracks no priority signaling (presignals) will be required as the penalty for heading into the path of oncomming traffic will cause trains to use the loop untill the track is clear.

Like the existing setup, this will only take place when a train arrives at a branch in the tracks, and (fingers crossed) there will only be a minimal impact on performance (no1 priority).

I also needed somewhere to upload the diff...

Any help, feedback or ideas would be much appreciated, right after I get back from the movies... :)

Edit: Ran the pile transport #openttdcoop game with 1000+ trains (cpu~50%), with a counter to see how often YapfChooseRailTrack() and VehicleFromPos() were run each frame (30ms) - see att.

YapfChooseRailTrack ~ 5 calls / frame
VehicleFromPos ~ 2700 calls / frame

Looks like a few calls to VehicleFromPos from within YapfChooseRailTrack which is what I need to do will not make a big difference. Will see...

Edit - upload new diff for trunk 7484

Edit - some notes incase anyone's interested, or would like to finnish it off while I catch some Zs...

Intersection Busy Scratch:

Ideally, a complete list all vehicles, and corresponding paths through the intersection would result from running the search function. This list could then be itterated, and penaties &| bonuses applied.

Code is in place to detect an intersection, and also build a word where all bits representing directions which need to be checked are set. (None of which is tested.)

Now I need a function which takes a tile and a direction an input, then follows all possible paths in that direction recursively, checking for vehicles. Any vehicles which it finds it should add to a Vehicles_On_Approach list with the path (node chain) back to the intersection.
Problem: The search function walks in the opposite directon to the path which the approaching vehicle could take - so perhaps a ReverseTrackDir needs to be run on all nodes before the path is added.
See signal code for bridge & tunnel search handling.

VehicleFromPos: This function is a little complicated, but may be for the better in this case.
void *VehicleFromPos(TileIndex tile, void *data, VehicleFromPosProc *proc)
tile: the tile on which we are looking for vehicles
*data: anything. this is see next arg.
*proc: a callback function which is called for each vehicle on 'tile', and passed the *data argument supplied when VehicleFromPos was called.

(Is that a pointer to a void? Oh well, it fits in nicely with my understanding of most of the YAPF & openttd C code:)

Basically, you have a function which is run for each vehicle which is at the position you're searching.
If this function returns non-NULL, VehicleFromPos quits searching & returns that result, otherwise if there are other possible matches the callback is called for them.

I could use this to my advantage by having the callback function run a yapf path search as if the oncomming vehicle was at a branch. Since there is no choice, things like look-ahead could be disabled to allow full use of the cache. While yapf is walking back down the best path, if it goes through the intersection, this would trigger some code to add the vehicle and path (to intersection) to the OncommingVehicles list. This list should be checked at the start of the VehicleFromPos callback to ensure any vehcles found twice are skipped the 2nd time.
Attachments
Intersection Busy Penalty.diff
r7484
(16.71 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
Intersection Busy Penalty.diff
YapfChooseRailTrack() and VehicleFromPos() calls / frame
(16.71 KiB) Downloaded 330 times

Return to “OpenTTD Development”