[media] Technical content of TE

Discussions pertaining to the development of graphics for Transport Empire.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Again, I ask, are autoCAD files useful?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

AutiCAD aims at engineers, you shouldn't use such a program for something graphical.
tuisu
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tuisu »

I can also try to make a mockup if more data become available... Like what kind of information should be on the menus etc. Or is this documented somewhere already?
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

I would suggest doing as much as you feel like doing. After all, its when your doing it that you will come to ask the really tough questions that we haven't even thought of yet. Even if we use a completely different interface I dont think the excerise would be pointless.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Hyronymus wrote:AutiCAD aims at engineers, you shouldn't use such a program for something graphical.
Well, that Inkscape seems to be like Illustrator. I can manage Illustator, but I don't know how to draw round arcs and horiontal lines with it...
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
benji147460127
Engineer
Engineer

Post by benji147460127 »

Horizontal line: click the Pen tool with CTRL.

Arcs: drag the Pen tool, or use the Rectangle tool which has a rounding control.
~Ben

Microsoft Visual Bios (C) 1984
Where will Bill have you dragged today?
Press CTRL-ALT-F1-END-ESC-INS for Visual Cmos setup.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Based on today's meeting, I did some work on a new GUI. I tried something metallish;
Attachments
metal_button.PNG
metal_button.PNG (926 Bytes) Viewed 7300 times
Image Image
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

And, after a lot of work, here's a complete window;

EDIT: Which one looks better?
Attachments
metal_window.PNG
metal_window.PNG (7.44 KiB) Viewed 7285 times
metal_window2.PNG
metal_window2.PNG (7.32 KiB) Viewed 7277 times
Image Image
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Lower one. The upper one looks like it doesn't have the focus, IMO.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Hmm, I'm not too fond of the pink background. A nice shade of blue would fit better I think or perhaps some darkgreen.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Ok, got rid of the pink background, made it very dark grey-blue. Besides, I made the brown border textured. Watcha think?
Attachments
metal_window3.PNG
metal_window3.PNG (7.48 KiB) Viewed 7242 times
Image Image
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Looks a lot better, however, I am not sure about the grey dots around OK button and the corners of the window, they look a tad "tacky" IMO
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

What do you mean with 'tacky'?

Btw, scrollbars and checkboxes!

(and the buttons are improved, due Hyro's suggestion)
Attachments
metal_button2.PNG
metal_button2.PNG (594 Bytes) Viewed 7227 times
metal_window7.PNG
metal_window7.PNG (7.72 KiB) Viewed 7228 times
Image Image
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Eek, what a massive slide bars. Something more slender would do too.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

After a suggestion from Hyro at MSN, aiming to let the border look more metallish, I tried simply changing the color;
Attachments
metal_window8.PNG
metal_window8.PNG (7.66 KiB) Viewed 7215 times
Image Image
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

I don't want to sound rude, but is this really the direction you want the GUI of TE to go?

Because to me they look ghastly, just horrible. The giant frames around every widget remind me of some B-quality horror SF movie and the colours...it's like somebody is on drugs.

Sorry for being so rude :oops:
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I like this colour much better, fits in with the rivets too.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Darkvater wrote:and the colours...it's like somebody is on drugs.
I did some work on the colors. I don't wanna mess with the size ATM.

EDIT: Dropdown menu made;
Attachments
metal_window9.PNG
metal_window9.PNG (8.21 KiB) Viewed 7196 times
metal_menu.PNG
metal_menu.PNG (4.08 KiB) Viewed 7182 times
Image Image
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Choose a toolbar;
Attachments
metal_toolbar2.PNG
metal_toolbar2.PNG (1.61 KiB) Viewed 7174 times
metal_toolbar.PNG
metal_toolbar.PNG (1.68 KiB) Viewed 7173 times
Image Image
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Darkvater disliked the big borders around buttons and such, I made them smaller;
Attachments
metal_window10.PNG
metal_window10.PNG (7.08 KiB) Viewed 7161 times
metal_toolbar3.PNG
metal_toolbar3.PNG (1.53 KiB) Viewed 7162 times
Image Image

Return to “Transport Empire Graphics”